Gov. Greg Abbott signs electric vehicle fee into law

RV_

On 5/26/2023 at 3:15 PM, Tulecreeper said:

So, in 2023 you get your vehicle inspected and they record your mileage at 35,000 miles.  Then you come back next year in 2024 for the inspection and they record your mileage at 46,000 miles and the state of Texas charges you for 11,000 miles.  BUT...you were on extended vacation during the past 12 months and 9,500 of those miles were driven outside the state of Texas.  Why should Texas get the mileage tax for the entire 11,000 miles?  Shouldn't the 24 states you drove through during those 6 months of vacation and 9,500 miles get their share?  Yes, yes they should, but who is going to keep track of all that?  It would be a logistical nightmare.

Great point, I was thinking the same thing.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim all I can say is to keep up with Windows updates on that Windows 10 unit. Since I answered you both my Win 11 and Win 10 machines work properly again with misspells. And both got out of cycle updates.

I have two Windows 10 machines I am selling that will not do Windows 11 and both will be getting a version of Linux (Mint /Cinnamon likely) I will test as a dual boot since most folks are afraid of Linux, so they can switch back and forth. Linux is free and may work on your older machine. Linux has many "Lite" versions made to use less resources like for older machines. Start a thread on the computer forum here and ask about Linux versions for older machines and start with the brand, model number, processor/RAM/Hard drive or SSD and size.

Windows 10 loses all security updates in 2025. However they have stopped all "Feature" updates which are improvements you may or may not have noticed. After 2025 it may be risky to run without any security updates which stop then.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Out of state still needs to charge EVs.

EV owners I know have no problem paying our way. How states collect it is the reason the DMV are paid positions. I really don't care how they do it. If it is not equitable, as EVs become the majority, if Texans with EVs are treated unfairly, because big oil wants to discourage EVs by penalizing Texans who own/want to own one, then it becomes a Texas problem. Reporting the news or interesting investment opportunities doesn't mean I have their answers. I don't have a dog in that fight.😉

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

36 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Insurance companies do ask how many miles are you from work and what you drive annually. The policy price does vary. At least USAA asked me. 

Not in every state. We used to pay less because we drove less than most (per vehicle).  CA, iirc, did away with such a discount.

what can be offered is controlled by the state of “garage”.

1 hour ago, Payroll Person said:

Not in every state. We used to pay less because we drove less than most (per vehicle).  CA, iirc, did away with such a discount.

what can be offered is controlled by the state of “garage”.

I don’t consider it a discount, more like charging you according to how much you drive. As the more you drive the higher the risk of something happening. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I am just curious what Texas decides to do, the topic. Since there are many Texans here on the forums I asked here. Anyone have a link to where they are headed/decided? This will be a separate issue from federal excise tax.

Especially since they gave Tesla and Space X all kinds of tax breaks to move his HQ there and locate their Gigafactory and Musk's Space X Manufacturing and launch facilities.

Since Texas is a major oil producer and refining state I will be interested in their solutions to see if they come up with equitable solutions.

EV owners I know, me included, have no issue with paying our own way. Never have. If Texas, or any other state, is in denial about the worldwide transition going on now their citizens will suffer. The state road taxes will be decided in each state.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 8:33 AM, GlennWest said:

We have to get our vechiles inspected each year in Texas. 

That's gonna go away January 1, 2025. 

(annual safety inspections will go away, but emissions testing in some counties will continue)

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here.