Gov. Greg Abbott signs electric vehicle fee into law

RV_

PP, what do you mean access fee par vehicle? For electric access or road access like toll roads?

I have an access fee of just ~ $13-15 just to be connected to the grid when we have our solar system installed.

I think fees at registration with the DMV and making weight a factor in the equation might just work.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RV_ said:

PP, what do you mean access fee par vehicle? For electric or like toll roads?

I have an access fee of just ~ $13-15 just to be connected to the grid when we have our solar system installed.

I think fees at registration with the DMV and making weight a factor in the equation might just work.

Something like CA and other states are already doing via registration fee. 

CA utilities (the big 3) are going to a monthly access/connect fee soon, and an estimated 30% LESS per kWh.

IIRC, municipal utilities may already use this model (monthly access fee even is zero kWh net use).

For me, this will be a big savings. For me, it also makes Solar a money losing non starter. I suspect it makes Solar a loser for most in the big 3 territories. 

Gotcha, thanks. We are already there and the access fee is very fair. Our CSU is a municipal utility and actually adjusts prices down when they pay less. Last week I found they pay .02/kWh wholesale for electricity.

I am now charging only on off peak hours.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 5/21/2023 at 8:33 AM, GlennWest said:

We have to get our vechiles inspected each year in Texas. They record mileage. It goes to DMV. Looks like a simple way to regulate mileage for taxes.

So, in 2023 you get your vehicle inspected and they record your mileage at 35,000 miles.  Then you come back next year in 2024 for the inspection and they record your mileage at 46,000 miles and the state of Texas charges you for 11,000 miles.  BUT...you were on extended vacation during the past 12 months and 9,500 of those miles were driven outside the state of Texas.  Why should Texas get the mileage tax for the entire 11,000 miles?  Shouldn't the 24 states you drove through during those 6 months of vacation and 9,500 miles get their share?  Yes, yes they should, but who is going to keep track of all that?  It would be a logistical nightmare.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

7 minutes ago, Tulecreeper said:

So, in 2023 you get your vehicle inspected and they record your mileage at 35,000 miles.  Then you come back next year in 2024 for the inspection and they record your mileage at 46,000 miles and the state of Texas charges you for 11,000 miles.  BUT...you were on extended vacation during the past 12 months and 9,500 of those miles were driven outside the state of Texas.  Why should Texas get the mileage tax for the entire 11,000 miles?  Shouldn't the 24 states you drove through during those 6 months of vacation and 9,500 miles get their share?  Yes, yes they should, but who is going to keep track of all that?  It would be a logistical nightmare.

Vagaries of state sovereignty. A great example is OR and WA with sales tax and lack of sales tax. Or filling up with fuel before coming into CA. 

1 minute ago, Payroll Person said:

Vagaries of state sovereignty. A great example is OR and WA with sales tax and lack of sales tax. Or filling up with fuel before coming into CA. 

When you buy gas in one state you pay whatever tax that state adds to the price, so they already got their tax.  If that state doesn't add a fuel tax then that's their fault.  But if you get your vehicle inspected in Texas, then immediately drive out of state and don't come back for a year, Texas has no claim on any mileage you put on your vehicle in the past year.  That is why a gas tax will never work.  No one is going to try to keep track of where you put the most miles on your truck over a 12-month period.

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

15 minutes ago, Tulecreeper said:

When you buy gas in one state you pay whatever tax that state adds to the price, so they already got their tax.  If that state doesn't add a fuel tax then that's their fault.  But if you get your vehicle inspected in Texas, then immediately drive out of state and don't come back for a year, Texas has no claim on any mileage you put on your vehicle in the past year.  That is why a gas tax will never work.  No one is going to try to keep track of where you put the most miles on your truck over a 12-month period.

Maybe so but charging senior citizens like this that only drive to grocery store and back would be a burden to them and unfair.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

10 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Maybe so but charging senior citizens like this that only drive to grocery store and back would be a burden to them and unfair.

👌

US Navy (Ret)

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

So you will pay an added $200/year on your registration that for Texans is a bit of sticker shock, however, it is still dirt cheap compared to the cost of vehicle registration in other states.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 hours ago, Tulecreeper said:

The commercial interstate trucking industry has been doing that for decades already.

reference: https://hbkcpa.com/trucking-companies-adhering-to-a-complex-network-of-state-taxes/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The commercial interstate trucking industry has been doing that for decades already.

reference: https://hbkcpa.com/trucking-companies-adhering-to-a-complex-network-of-state-taxes/

Ray, that's commercial trucking.  Apples and oranges compared to tens of millions of POV's traveling helter-skelter all over the country in no particular order.  If you travel from TX up through NM into AZ, then north to Canada, then back down the east coast and across the south to TX but in all that driving you were in the far NE corner of AZ for literally 20 minutes before going into CO how much do you owe the state of AZ?

It won't happen because the states will never all get together and agree on a fairness doctrine.

Edited by Tulecreeper

US Navy (Ret)

With upcoming (or present) technology, they will figure a way to recover their share at the charging station including the federal part that is now collected at the pump. There may be fights and problems but something will have to happen to make it work.  Might require new federal laws and fights up to the supreme court ( not too supreme but the best someone can buy)  It will have to happen and it should have already been figured or factored.  Otherwise many state dictators ( sorry governors ) will do it and force a solution at some point.  I just hope if I am still a Texan when I switch we will have the relaible infrastructer to provide the juice  we need especially in winters and after big storms where the power is out for extended periods.

for pity sake how do you spell infrastructer. It keeps telling me I am wrong no matter how I spell it. (not a flying flip. Its just the principle.)

Edited by bigjim

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

With upcoming (or present) technology, they will figure a way to recover their share at the charging station including the federal part that is now collected at the pump. There may be fights and problems but something will have to happen to make it work.  Might require new federal laws and fights up to the supreme court ( not too supreme but the best someone can buy)  It will have to happen and it should have already been figured or factored.  Otherwise many state dictators ( sorry governors ) will do it and force a solution at some point.  I just hope if I am still a Texan when I switch we will have the relaible infrastructer to provide the juice  we need especially in winters and after big storms where the power is out for extended periods.

for pity sake how do you spell infrastructer. It keeps telling me I am wrong no matter how I spell it. (not a flying flip. Its just the principle.)

Infrastructure 😉

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 hours ago, bigjim said:

Infrastructure. Gary had it.

I don't think working it out will be the difficult part. But the folks that wear tin foil hats will be up in arms no matter. See the Koch brother remaining (big oil) will continue to spend money for misinformation articles and anti EV campaigns.

But they already lost. Back in the day we called it paradigm blindness.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

I tried it that way and it still said I was wrong.  I think my computer hates me.

I don't think it hates you Jim.  This just shows how we can be so wrong about our computer.  Perhaps your computer is dyslexic, gender misidentified, has mommy problems, or just lacks self confidence.  Have you tried a light dusting and a gentle touch of fragrance?  A little understanding goes a long way.  And, is it really so important that she/he knows how to spell, as long as he/she is getting the point across?

Just pulled out my long range crystal ball. It said that in years to come once the majority of vehicles are EVs the cost of owning an EV will be similar to the cost of an ICE. Those road repair and improvements will have to come from somewhere. Higer taxes? Higher registration fees? Higher charging rates? But hopefully that will be the younger generations problem.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Remember when the Motor Fuel Tax was to be only for roads and 40% of the Lottery was to be used for Education.

All major road projects (excluding Tollways) have a large percent Federal Dollars. Maybe the vehicle license plate/tag fees should have added Federal Tax to aid the individual states. ( My disclaimer is I'm not serious about this)

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

6 hours ago, durangodon said:

I don't think it hates you Jim.  This just shows how we can be so wrong about our computer.  Perhaps your computer is dyslexic, gender misidentified, has mommy problems, or just lacks self confidence.  Have you tried a light dusting and a gentle touch of fragrance?  A little understanding goes a long way.  And, is it really so important that she/he knows how to spell, as long as he/she is getting the point across?

Good comical explantion but when it comes to understanding mine leans toward big hammer, screwdrivers or even firearms to express my feelings about fault products and I would add politicians if I were not afraid someone would take me seriously.  🙃😃

PS reading Clays post below I can tell he is old.  🙂

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

Good comical explantion but when it comes to understanding mine leans toward big hammer, screwdrivers or even firearms to express my feelings about fault products and I would add politicians if I were not afraid someone would take me seriously.  🙃😃

PS reading Clays post below I can tell he is old.  🙂

Are you running Windows 10 or 11 or Apple? My Windows 11 unit does that but my Window 10 system does not. You are running 11? If so that glitch may be fixed on the next updates. I just updated my Firefox browser on my Win 11 system and it does not do that anymore so far.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 5/28/2023 at 5:24 PM, RV_ said:

Are you running Windows 10 or 11 or Apple? My Windows 11 unit does that but my Window 10 system does not. You are running 11? If so that glitch may be fixed on the next updates. I just updated my Firefox browser on my Win 11 system and it does not do that anymore so far.

It took me a little while to sort it out since I did not trust the memory but the machine I was using at the time is W10 and I found out it is not W11  compatable but that's ok as I don't really use it for anything and eventually will  be getting  something new.  

I have a second  HP basic chromebook more portable that I only access as a "guest" to do the little I do.  Any thoughts about that.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:33 PM, Ray,IN said:

I agree. I suspect insurance companies will become involved because most auto insurance companies have already introduced plans with miles driven tied to annual policy rates. They give you a module that plugs into your OBD port on your vehicle.  I'm assuming the companies have already figured out how to adapt that module to EV's too.

I'd like that option, DW has a 2017 Jeep GC limited with 12,xxx miles on the odometer. My 2013 Chevy Silverado has 87,xxx miles.

Insurance companies do ask how many miles are you from work and what you drive annually. The policy price does vary. At least USAA asked me. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3