Maiden Voyage and First Time Driving Travel Trailer

Dmcld

Hello.  I've been a passenger in a travel trailer before and have driven my new travel trailer from the dealership, about 60 miles, practiced a little in an abandoned K-Mart parking lot.  First trip is June 2 for a week at a campground relatively close by.  Didn't want to go too far in case there were issues.  I've taken courses on RV101 (which were very, very helpful).  Any words of advice for my maiden voyage?  I'm a little nervous doing this alone.  Thanks everyone for your advice!  😀

Just take your time and be safe. When you back into the campsite try and do so such that the turn into the site is to the driver's side as it is much easier to see the trailer when backing that way. Is it correct to assume that you know how to connect to electricity, water, and sewer?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Dmcld said:

, practiced a little in an abandoned K-Mart parking lot.  😀

That was very wise. Do it again using a orange cone or something to watch in your mirrors. Watch the mirrors to study your turning radius. In the vacant parking lot you can stop, get out and check. Re-tries are Free. In the campground, don't panic if you need a little help, we have all been in your shoes and willing to help.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Thank you so much for the advice, Kirk W and ms60ocb.  I'm glad you mentioned about trying to turn as close as possible to the driver's side.  That will make it a lot easier for me to see.  I also have a couple of orange cones to place at the site before backing in so that I can see where I'm going (hopefully).  Any advice about driving?  That's the part that makes me the most nervous.  I saw an RV the other day parked to the side of the highway along with a big tractor trailer parked just ahead of it.  The RV had about a third of the siding peeled back and I'm not sure if maybe they got too close or what.  Made me a little nervous.  As far as connecting electric, sewar, and water; I think I'm good.  When the information I reviewed said to get a surge protector, I first went out and got this big, powerful surge protector, the kind you use in the house.  Didn't realize I had to get one specifically used to hook up to the pole at the site.  Live and learn.  🥴

33 minutes ago, Dmcld said:

Didn't realize I had to get one specifically used to hook up to the pole at the site. 

There are several brands available but the two with the longest and best reputations are from Southwire and Progressive. You should also get models that do power monitoring and not just surges. Assuming that your new RV is a 30A model you need either Southwire 34930 ot the Progressive EMS-PT30X. There are other brands that are not as well known and other models from these two that offer additional features. You have a 30A RV if the power cord has 3 pins but it is a 50A model if the plug has 4 pins.

BougeRV 30 Amp RV Receptacle Plug Electrical Plug Adapter with Handle (Male Plug) 30A       OPL5 Heavy Duty RV 50 Amp Male Plug Replacement Electrical Plug Adapter with Handle RV Power Cord – 50A 125/250V 4-Prong Male for RV Camper 50A

As for driving the rig, be sure that your tow vehicle mirrors are adjusted for the best possible view of the traffic behind you. Double check the hitch is done properly before you drive. Keep in mind that you must swing wide in all turns to allow for the trailer as it will tend to cut corners. You haven't said how long the trailer is but keep in mind that trailers pivot on the axles so the rear bumper travels a wider arc than does the tow vehicle and front of the trailer so allow for that. Always drive watching well ahead and slow early for traffic lights and such to avoid over use of the brakes or hard braking. 

Since you mentioned being concerned about driving, what is your TV?  Specifically, what type of mirrors do you have?

The reason I bring that up is that I started towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is narrower than a full sized pickup and my trailer.  So I needed mirror extenders to see around the side of the trailer.  I ended up getting Milenco mirrors that worked very well - and any time I was driving, I knew that if my mirrors could clear, then the trailer would clear.  I found that most of the generic slip-on towing mirror extenders are designed for pickup trucks, which are wider, and didn’t quite go around the trailer.  If you tow with a pickup truck with towing mirrors, then put them out and the same thing applies - if the mirrors go through, so will your trailer.

As far as pulling into a camp site, remember GOAL (get out and look) and do it a lot.  If I’m backing into a spot and am not comfortable with the other side or the angle I’m at (which is fairly often), I get out and look several times, just to verify where I am and where everything else is - I’m solo and never could figure out how to play pool (which is all about angles).

If you are out in the empty parking lot, put out a yellow cone and try to stop with your trailer’s wheels at the cone.  It helps to know where the trailer tires are - that’s the trailer’s pivot point.

My first towing experience of any sort was many years ago when I owned a horse.  He didn’t balance very well in a trailer and taught me a lot about how to maneuver a trailer - he would scramble if I did something to cause him to lose his balance.  When you drive a car, you make a turn and start to accelerate almost immediately.  If you are towing a trailer and start to accelerate at the same point - your trailer is not yet around the curve and the back of it will swing around a lot faster - did you ever play “crack the whip” as a kid?

I also try to brake very gently and accelerate very gently (other things that would cause that horse to scramble - sudden shifts in acceleration).  The stuff in my cabinets don’t shift much when I’m able to drive like that, so I try very hard not to put myself into a position of having to make an emergency type stop.  Plus it takes longer to stop - there’s a lot more weight involved.

5 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

I also try to brake very gently and accelerate very gently

My friend's father set a cowbell on the floor of their car when she was learning to drive. Her challenge was to not ring the bell.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thank you everyone for all the great advice!!  The trailer is a 20 ft Riverside Retro and I was able to determine the pivot point which is just about where the wheels are, almost center of the rig.  I'm towing with a Ford Explorer with a tow package and it's well able to handle the weight.  Believe me when I say that I am going to use the far-right lane for most of the trip and drive slowly but not too slowly, I'm in no real hurry.  How long should I plan on driving?  I've seen some articles that say 300 miles and others say more than that.  I'm used to driving long distances but not while towing a trailer.  I did purchase a Southwire 30-amp surge protector in addition to a 30 amp to 15 adapter so that I can charge it at home before I set off on my trip. I am sure that once I get to the campground and set up, there will be a ton of things that I will have to add to my "future shopping" list.  I did have to get mirrors for the car, and they fit...barely. But they help considerably.  I hope that I'm equipped enough for the journey and can't wait, but with a little nervousness on the side.  😲

Daily distance traveled is a rather subjective thing. It is a good plan to stop traveling before you are tired and early enough to enjoy the trip. I drove much farther before I retired and shortest was when fulltime. Wind and weather should also be factors in the time that you travel. I suspect that you are much younger than myself. I would also keep the days shorter when you are just starting and then adjust as you gain experience. Today we usually limit to about 300 miles maximum but 400 is not unreasonable in good weather. 

I agree about keeping the days shorter, especially when first starting out.  It takes longer to set up and tear down camp, and you are more likely to make mistakes when you are tired.  Being solo also means that you have to do it all - there’s no second person to do half of the tasks.  Have you made check-lists for what needs to be done for both?  I did when I first started out and was glad I did.  It’s been a few years (I haven’t been doing this RV thing nearly as long as many of the people here) and I don’t usually refer to them any more.  Which occasionally gets me into trouble as I also get distracted easily and may forget a step.

When I was in my 20s and 30s and pre-RV days, I could drive for hours and hours.  Now that I am in the Medicare group, I find 300 miles to be about as far as I like to go in a day, and usually plan on less than that (200 - 250).  That gives me time to stop for lunch, and not be wiped out/over-tired when setting up.  I prefer to arrive mid-afternoon, set up camp, relax for a bit and then fix dinner.  Relax a little more, read a bit and then go to bed early, getting up early so I can get on the road at a reasonable time.  I really, really do not like to set up camp by flashlight!

I measured differently. On my long days, I spent 5-6 hours traveling from one campsite to another. Some of that is driving. Some is making pit stops. Some is seeing sights or running errands along the way. Sometimes, I took a nap after lunch. So the mileage differed greatly from one trip to another. The goal was always to be in camp and set up before I got tired. And before dark.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

back when we were fulltime for 7 years we had our RV Roadie 2X 2X2 rule. We traveled ~ 200 miles per day (4-5 hours), stayed two nights at a park or camp area, one night to relax, the next day to explore and decide if the area warranted exploring further, then we left just early enough to make it to the next stop by 2pm which back in 1997-2003 when we were FT always got us a space.

We fully retired when I was 45 and Lynn 43 and we did one ten hour drive day and was wiped with the bigger rig all day. I swore never again.  Then after a few months realized we were in no hurry as we did not have to go back to work. We stayed at Escapees parks and Military base FamCamps 90% of the time except through Canada where we stayed at Provincial parks on the way up and back from Alaska.

We never made a date to be at a friend or relative's because then we were rushing again if anything went wrong or weather. As well many times we decided to stay for something like the Wooden Ships Festival in Port Townsend WA, Grand Canyon, Valdez Alaska deep sea and salmon run fishing, or take a week or two at Fiddler's Cove FamCamp on the San Diego Bay with the Pacific across the road. And take our time at every National park for one to four weeks to explore with only three months spent on our family property in the south in winter.

We had a one ton Diesel Dually Ram long bed and a 36 foot fifth wheel and we were both ready after 5 hours to stop even that young. At 71 now I could do that 2X2X2 schedule too.

Our fellow SKPs were all ~20 years older and kept telling us we were too young to be retired. And until we slowed down to2X2X2 told us were hadn't learned how to be retired all friendly banter. I took a break from retirement for three years at 53 because we were off the road taking care of elderly parents. We did have two smaller fivers for part time RV trips for weekends.

Even though fully retired we took almost a year to finally stop rushing and driving 8 hours or more as if time were limited. It is hard to relax when as military we were always driving cross country or across Europe for vacations and driving 8-18 hours in a day with breaks!

You are asking all the right questions and once you've been on the road for a few months your questions will change as will what you brought with you. Minimalist is fun. Don't worry about others just do you and you'll find your pace and space.

I was disappointed in myself when I started buying the stuff we needed to take care of acreage and building up our stuff again when we stopped full-time and became part time RVrs and had a house again and a workshop. Humans will fill all available storage one way or another and we sure did again.🤷‍♂️😕

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks again all you wonderful RVers.  I agree that since I'm just starting out and will be hyped up over driving and making sure the camper is not crossing any lines that shouldn't be crossed, and watching my speed, I'll be super tired after a couple hundred miles and then it will be time to pull in somewhere for at least one or two nights.  I agree with not wanting it to be dark outside and have to set up everything.  As I'm by myself, I don't want to struggle with it in the evening.  I do have check lists on how to set up and how to break down all the equipment, plus a checklist of what to do before heading on the road again.  Slow and steady wins the race as the saying goes although not a race, it will certainly be the goal! I am having an awful time trying to find a sunshade that can go into my awning.  All the websites I look at, including Amazon, don't have anything to fit a 6ft wide awning.  It's not a huge trailer, only 20 feet, but the awning frame is only 6 ft.  I'd like to get a sunshade but what the heck?? Doesn't anyone make them for that size??  I can't believe there isn't a manufacturer who has them.  When I look at Amazon, it says something like 6 ft by 13.5 ft, but all that means is a 6 ft drop and 13.5 ft wide. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find one to fit a 6ft width? You guys have been great with all your helpful comments and suggestions.  

Try it without the shade for a while. We bought one and have only used it a couple times in the 2 years we’ve had it. We never leave our awning out when we leave so we’d be unzipping it off and on a lot. They do help with the sun but we are wondering if we should have bought. Good luck with the search. 

One thing I see that gets some people in a problem while backing up, is simple to solve.

When backing up and you see that you need to turn your steering wheel. First thing is to think about it calmly. Then only turn the steering wheel a small amount. Not three turns or all the way.    With a short trailer, it will turn much faster than expected, compared to a longer unit.

I would suggest you to visit a campground during the time people are setting up or getting ready to move. Just visit to see how other people accomplish these task. I would not stand there and watch, but act like your are on a slow walk around  campground.

You can see how there water and sewer lines are hooked up. The other thing to look for is how there awnings are extended or possibly tilted for water runoff. Also if most awnings are up, there may indicate bad weather in the area.

Another point is when you're backing, drive the trailer wheels to where you want them to end up.  Don't aim the back end of the trailer as it will move back and forth as the trailer pivots over it's wheels.  It's also easier to back into a space on the driver's side because you can see the trailer better than backing into a space on the passenger side.

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

The most helpful thing I was taught is to put your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel. It then feels natural as to which way to turn the wheel.

Linda

I used that as well Linda. For those who don't get it, when your hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel and you move your hand to the left with the steering wheel the trailer being backed will turn left, turn the bottom of the steering wheel to the right the trailer turns right.

Go to 2:10 into this video for a demo. The whole video is excellent:

https://www.cthermal.com/projects#flowchart

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire