Old Goat's corner, DW truck conversion project

phoenix2013

I'll add, it's the threads and tutorials from folks like you that gave me the inspiration and confidence to dive into our build.  I couldn't have done it without the help of those who went before me.  I'm sure you've inspired others to follow suit.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry, I always enjoy following along on your threads and build projects, sometimes I learn as I follow sometimes it goes over my head sometimes I get a good laugh, but when I get a question, I can usually look back and find the answer. Thanks to you and many other folks here we have always been pleased with our HDT decision. I knew when we bought my first upgrade was going to be our ET and knew it was a great upgrade, thanks again for all you have done to help many here!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

4 hours ago, dblr said:

Henry, I always enjoy following along on your threads and build projects, sometimes I learn as I follow sometimes it goes over my head sometimes I get a good laugh, but when I get a question, I can usually look back and find the answer. Thanks to you and many other folks here we have always been pleased with our HDT decision. I knew when we bought my first upgrade was going to be our ET and knew it was a great upgrade, thanks again for all you have done to help many here!!!!

I second that sentiment!

Marcel

You guys are going to make me blush. But don't worry, I and many others have throttled my ego to minimal proportions.

I do this for two reason, I enjoy this and I consider this as a bit of a social obligation. I've been mentored all my life at all stages, from basic to very sophisticated. And mentoring others was a critical part of my job as a corporate leader. I might expand this thread and have a discussion how important this is. But here's a couple of examples, my first mentor, the one holding a tire.

i0MwObZl.jpg

He was my boss and chief design engineer in a company where we were designing atomic absorption spectroscopy  equipment (look it up, 0 to 3,000 degrees Celsius in two seconds), just two of us he and I. We flew this thing 3 years later. The cabin was totally burnt and destroyed, we set the tasks and he said, "your job will be to rebuild the dashboard with all the instruments". With little mentoring, I delivered.

2RqS96wl.jpg

Incidentally, in our daily jobs, we delivered the prototype spectroscope in 22 months, beat the competition into a pulp and Bill gave me another job. Produce the complete documentation of the product and release such to the manufacturing department, train manufacturing, write the field service and repair manual and train the service techs. You might say, it was my first "official" mentoring job. Bill and I ended in many other companies, but remained steadfast and lifelong friends. He is no longer with us.

The other corporate leader who I admire immensely is Elon Musk. Elon has an office, but he does not spend much time behind the desk. There are websites that follow SpaceX projects, not only the few showcased by the media, but behind the scenes ones he works on. The mentoring that happens in his company is insane. But the thing that propels his success that is not talked much about is his total lack of fear to fail. The last Starship he launched did blow up 20 miles high, he was ecstatic about the data they got on this flight. The other flights didn't go that high, or blew up on the pad. That kind of behavior is abhorred in large corporate settings. But I can pretty much guarantee that a person that never fails, never succeeds at anything either.

On my "little" project there is progress.

GgTciq6l.jpg

More pictures are coming

Edited by phoenix2013

• 1 month later...

Been a while, last month started a new "career", hydrological engineer. Sucking up water in the cellar/shop/office. Building swales, diverting springs, installing roof gutters, rerouting down spouts, etc. Building an ark was going to be the next project. Moses must have had a bitch of a job figuring housing for various species, for instance how far apart do you keep snakes and rats? Re-connected with the owner, not as much progress was made in my absence as I would like, but he said I have a pair of these, what do you think?

MgPTPA5l.jpg

dMZgKWnl.jpg

ozkAeXXl.jpg

I guess this is no longer relevant.

SgJqs68l.jpg

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Been a while, last month started a new "career", hydrological engineer. Sucking up water in the cellar/shop/office. Building swales, diverting springs, installing roof gutters, rerouting down spouts, etc. Building an ark was going to be the next project. Moses must have had a bitch of a job figuring housing for various species, for instance how far apart do you keep snakes and rats? Re-connected with the owner, not as much progress was made in my absence as I would like, but he said I have a pair of these, what do you think?

MgPTPA5l.jpg

dMZgKWnl.jpg

ozkAeXXl.jpg

I guess this is no longer relevant.

SgJqs68l.jpg

How long are your ramps Henry? I don't need them, but if they are over 10' It mite make loading the bike a little easier.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

12 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

12' long, 16" wide, over 70 lbs. bit heavy for my taste, some sort of wheels/rollers/gliders/etc. needed. Mounting will also require a design effort.

How much do you want for them? Any chance they will fit on top of the van for the trip to Hutch? I think you have my PBX if you want to call later. I'm at the computer right now for a bit and the phone is in the truck where I should be. Taking a break right now. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 hours ago, lappir said:

How much do you want for them? Any chance they will fit on top of the van for the trip to Hutch? I think you have my PBX if you want to call later. I'm at the computer right now for a bit and the phone is in the truck where I should be. Taking a break right now. 

Rod

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7CC23844-DA55-4501-B30B-D7CDE25CD410?ingress=2&visitId=8f42bde8-ee6e-444f-9466-8b30d04c02c2&ref_=ast_bln 

He bought them on Amazon.

I killed the first two Chrysler vans hauling stuff. I promised this one semi retirement and limited use and longevity for its use as a hearse on my final RVing trip.

22 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7CC23844-DA55-4501-B30B-D7CDE25CD410?ingress=2&visitId=8f42bde8-ee6e-444f-9466-8b30d04c02c2&ref_=ast_bln 

He bought them on Amazon.

I killed the first two Chrysler vans hauling stuff. I promised this one semi retirement and limited use and longevity for its use as a hearse on my final RVing trip.

Ok, maybe some day I will make it back to Florida and can pick them up (if they are still around). I got Rick J's Aluminum ramps that are 10' a bit shorter than my STEEL ones, but much lighter. The Jeep will climb up fine, I'm just looking for something for the motorcycle that I might be able to rid up and not have to use the winch. I buy nothing from Amazon, but thanks for letting me know. Don't know how I feel about buying something that came from there. Hadn't thought about it till today. 

Hopefully the current Chrysler needs replacement before you do. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 1 month later...

Time to resume and "FINISH" the project, making more CAD parts, what do you think this is a part off.

ms7UFJal.jpg

I'm having conversations with another "Floridian" who might want this bed. We are starting next week with the frame extensions, an ET hitch install, Jackalopee and a brake controller. Bed will follow in the future. He's thinking four door Jeep, I'm saying "how about two door". For an "eye opener"  I produced this.

PAilgdRl.jpg

Awfully friggin' long, isn't it? Put a bed on it.

s0dWCe8l.jpg

syNm1OIl.jpg

and park a two door on it,

uVOPkZll.jpg

this two door.

BNsO9Pxl.jpg

Guess what you have left?

CWC2RkTl.jpg

57-59 inches, depending how close you park it to the truck. Typical trailer radius is 52 inches while you are turning.

I have a quote for 8 feet of frame rails, waiting for numbers on wheelbase and existing frame rails lengths.

23 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Time to resume and "FINISH" the project, making more CAD parts, what do you think this is a part off.

ms7UFJal.jpg

I'm having conversations with another "Floridian" who might want this bed. We are starting next week with the frame extensions, an ET hitch install, Jackalopee and a brake controller. Bed will follow in the future. He's thinking four door Jeep, I'm saying "how about two door". For an "eye opener"  I produced this.

PAilgdRl.jpg

Awfully friggin' long, isn't it? Put a bed on it.

s0dWCe8l.jpg

syNm1OIl.jpg

and park a two door on it,

uVOPkZll.jpg

this two door.

BNsO9Pxl.jpg

Guess what you have left?

CWC2RkTl.jpg

57-59 inches, depending how close you park it to the truck. Typical trailer radius is 52 inches while you are turning.

I have a quote for 8 feet of frame rails, waiting for numbers on wheelbase and existing frame rails lengths.

I don't think I'd want to be any longer than I am now with the Smart bed. Certainly not long enough for a four door jeep. Maybe run the jeep up some ramps at an angle to keep from being so long?