Want to ditch Windows? Windowsfx may be the ideal Linux distribution for you

RV_

Excerpt:

"Here's a Linux distribution that does a remarkable job of mimicking Windows 11, which makes it a great option for anyone looking to migrate from the proprietary operating system.

For many, Windows is the only desktop operating system they've ever used. For them, there's a familiarity that makes dealing with the usual troubles associated with Windows (random restarts for updates, failed drivers, and insecurities) tolerable. 

But what if I told you there was an alternative? There is, and it's been around since 1997.

That alternative is Linux. 

Now, before you throw your arms up in the air in frustration, hear me out. Sure, there are tons of Linux distributions available to install for free. Those distributions range from the very basic to the incredibly complex and everything in between.

Along with those varied versions of the operating system, there are numerous desktops you can opt to try. Some of those desktops stick with the traditional layout of a bottom panel, system tray, desktop menu, and desktop app launchers. There are also Linux desktops that completely re-invent the wheel to make something altogether more modern and elegant.

For those that stick with Windows, simply because it's what you know, I have a treat for you.

Said treat is called Windowsfx and it's a Linux desktop operating system that uses the KDE Plasma desktop environment to create a very Windows 11 look and feel. 

In fact, if you just took a glance at Windowsfx, you'd be certain you were looking at the Microsoft desktop operating system and not Linux.

But Windowsfx isn't just a simple theme that retools KDE Plasma into a very Windows 11-like interface. Windowsfx also includes Android app support, and MS applications pre-installed (such as Edge, Teams, Skype, PowerShell, Office Online, and OneDrive). You'll find apps like:

• KMail (and all the basic KDE apps)
  • AnyDesk
  • Google Chrome
  • K3b
  • ONLYOFFICE
  • Java 17
  • Steam
  • VLC Media Player
  • Winetricks

Out of the box, Windowsfx has you covered, regardless of what you need. With two different office suites, two different default web browsers, and Wine pre-installed (for running Windows applications), there's very little you cannot do with Windowsfx. Just click on the Start button to reveal the desktop menu, where you can access all of the installed applications. 

The Windowsfx desktop menu.

But how does Windowsfx perform?

In a word, Windowsfx performs flawlessly. No matter what you need, this operating system can do it. Even a quick test of installing the Notepad++ Windows application went off without a hitch. Just download the .exe file, double-click it, and walk through the installer. 

Notepadd++ running on Windowsfx.

Installing Windows apps on Windowsfx is simple.

One thing that you might want to consider is this: With Windows 11, you're very limited in how you can customize that desktop. Now, imagine you have a very Windows 11-like OS that is highly customizable. That's what you get with Windowsfx. If there's something you don't like about it, change it. And making those changes isn't nearly as hard as you think. Open the System Settings app and you have a world of customizations at your fingertips.

This is Windows 11 on steroids… but only if you need it. If you're not looking for a more customizable version of Windows 11, you can stick with the Windowsfx basic settings and enjoy an operating system that's very Windows-like in look and feel and very Linux-like in stability and security."

Much more and more screen shots in the article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-ditch-windows-windowsfx-may-be-the-ideal-linux-distribution-for-you/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

They have several editions in addition to pro:

Windowsfx 11 Free Edition Win11 Theme Plasma

Windowsfx 11 Free Edition Win10 Theme Plasma

Windowsfx 10 Free Edition Cinnamon

And lots more here: https://www.windowsfx.org/index.php

and here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/linuxfx

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Microsoft has zero to do with it. It is a Brazilian Company and I expect them to get sued by MS for breach of their design etc. If you get to it before I do let me know what you think. I am going to run it live and without risk to see if it works with my touchscreens.

I don't know why I want to experiment, just curious. I won't be using it myself as all my systems are Windows 11 able and all of them will convert today if I want.

Dutch I believe this is just one of many alternatives for Windows 10 users we will see come out in the next three years until Win 10 is EOL and no support. Then some or one clear winner will emerge and may be an alternative for folks to drop MS Windows even if they have the latest hardware and are running it fine.

Like Linux came up and garnered a devoted following.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

14 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Microsoft has zero to do with it. It is a Brazilian Company and I expect them to get sued by MS for breach of their design etc. If you get to it before I do let me know what you think. I am going to run it live and without risk to see if it works with my touchscreens.

I don't know why I want to experiment, just curious. I won't be using it myself as all my systems are Windows 11 able and all of them will convert today if I want.

Dutch I believe this is just one of many alternatives for Windows 10 users we will see come out in the next three years until Win 10 is EOL and no support. Then some or one clear winner will emerge and may be an alternative for folks to drop MS Windows even if they have the latest hardware and are running it fine.

Like Linux came up and garnered a devoted following.

Ahh! Ok, I missed that somehow. Microsoft has been integrating some Linux compatibility into Windows, though, so it didn't seem too odd at the time.

I don't know just when I'll get around to checking it out, but I'll let you know what I think of it when I do. My current PCLOS KDE desktop is so "Windows like" that most people that see it don't realize it's actually Linux until I tell them. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Yep I dd Mint with Cinnamon 18 a few years back that way. It was my first real experiment with it on a desktop. I had previously used the USB booted USAF secure Linux about ten years ago and it was impressive for the time.

I hated doing the downloads and burning disks so I actually ordered the disks from them. They were like 5 bucks each for the 32 and 64 bit disks. I was pretty disappointed in that all the Linux guys here were talking how they used Linux on old XP boxes. I had a Dell given to me I took to try it out, and it would not even load it was so sloooow. Then they tell me well you can't expect a new OS to work well on ancient system???? 😏🙁🤫

My advice to folks? Except for when your system runs the current Windows version, if you want to save buying hardware becvause your system is way too slow? Buy new hardware or put up with it. Or get a Linux distro designed to run on anything with little in the way of modern compatibilities. But then you have to learn a new OS. We had a couple of folks here malign Windows and anyone who liked it say they were through and their kids or friends were giving them an Apple system so they were leaving Windows for good! They're still on Windows.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks Derek. Since my old desktop HPp6-2350 is so old it can't run W11, I think that's my future plan. I've upgraded to 8gb  memory, have 1gb HD.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

That HP should do fine with most versions of Linux.  The limiting factor is the 300 watt power supply, so you can't add very much (some video cards draw that much alone).  I would suggest an SSD for the OS and programs.  You can keep the 1TB as a data drive.  SSD's draw very little power and are MUCH faster than a spinning platter hard drive.  The good news is that SSD prices have dropped quite a bit recently. 

Wireless drivers can sometimes be a problem but your HP uses an Ralink card that is well supported:

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=pci:1814-5390-103c-1636

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Ray did you mean you were getting new hardware and Windows 11? Or you were getting Linux because that processor is decent yet?

I would agree with Roger if you meant you would do Linux for your desktop. Your AMD A8-5600K 2013 era APU is capable of handling up to 32GB of RAM if you are running 64bit windows/Linux. If 32 bit you are already maxed out at 8GB RAM. I upgraded my old 2013 Dell 2720 i7 system by maxing it out at 16GB RAM from 8GB and cloning the 2TB HDD to a WD Blue 1TB SSD. It came stock with a 32GB eSATA drive cache. Those simple upgrades made it like a new computer in 2019. If they made TPM chips to plug into the MoBo I'd upgrade it to 11.

So old doesn't mean it isn't good with some upgrades like Roger brought up. The 2720 was native Windows 8 which I upgraded as available to 8.1 and then Windows 10. I am going to test it with this Linux version and if it doesn't do well I'll get on the Linux boards and find out how to make the touchscreens and optical drives work on it. But that will be after the holidays next year unless I sell it first, as I will need to recoup some bucks if I buy another high end system for the second time this year.

But without a TPM chip it is obsolete for Windows support as of 2025. It would perhaps run even faster with the right Linux system.

If you meant you are upgrading to new Windows 11 native to the new hardware let us know what you want and we can chime in on tips tricks and traps.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I'll not try to upgrade this machine to run W11, When EOS for  W10 hits I'll switch to Linux. I'm 80, not going to buy a new machine If I can avoid it.

In fact, if this one dies, I'll just begin using my HP laptop.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Rich I felt that way and used MS Office Pro since 1995 because that is what we used in the military. I also used and use Outlook for email. But any email client like Thunderbird or Proton secure email work just fine.

I now use Libre Office on all of my machines except my main system and I will likely use Libre Office on this machine too. I used to buy programs to do clones and now use Macrium Reflect free which works as well or better than EaseUS, and others I have mentioned here before. I use admin tools/Disk management to expand partitions to finish the setup. I will stick with Windows on all my systems save perhaps one I experiment with for the future. There are several alternatives. I also refused to use Google anything and now use GMail??? 

I'm evolving but I also use these Hauppauge USB TV Tuners that with just an inside antenna pull in 42 OTA channels, about 1/4th of them in full HD 1080i! Free including all of the major networks and lots of other great channels. We get 5 PBS channels all different and in full HD for most of their programming! About 15 are other languages or shopping/special interest channels I remove from my tuners because I don't watch them.

If any Linux experts have a good link for us latest Windows 11 and hardware users with TPM modules and touchscreens can please share it.

I would like to be able to boot my touchscreen All in One computer from USB without changing my Windows security settings when booting directly from my main drive in Windows. I used to have to go to legacy and disable secure boot 5 years or more ago last time I tried the USAF Selinux bootable on a USB stick. I am hoping that with renewed emphasis on Linux on Windows lately one of you might know and have a link to do it from the download ISO on my drive to booting into the USB flash drive. Yes I can do the research but lots of folks here may want that info as well.

When I asked if the program supports touchscreen AIO systems the owner of Windowsfx emailed me back saying to download it and try it? Not a yes or no?  I am no longer excited by the idea of spending a weekend making something work.😮☮️

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998