How to Avoid buying a used car with hidden flood damage

Chamcook

Flood damage cannot be completely removed, even though carpeting, seats, etc have been replaced. Use a mechanics inspection mirror and bright light to see under/behind the dash. dried mud/dirt will normally be present.

Even though a previously flooded vehicle has been restored, salt water will continue to cause electronic and computer problems until a vehicle reaches end-of-life.

Personally, to be safe I would insist on a document signed by the actual owner that the vehicle has never been exposed to high water, and they guarantee a full-refund if proved wrong.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks for the great advice!  I am hoping that we can avoid some of the risks I have been hearing about by buying a certified car through a licensed dealer, but I think I will get the mirror you have described to check up on what they claim is the car’s history.  Thanks! Chamcook

Check out differentials for moisture or even water floating. When we lived in the Northeast it was a big problem with shady wholesalers and fly by night dealers. They would haul them out of the flooded area to relocate them too unsuspecting buyers. Probably don't need to worry about Tesla's as they burn up. 

It won't be just Florida. The dealers will be selling out of state to other dealers and wholesalers.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Yeah, and here's the other side of the story- we live near (UGH) Baltimore, and I worked  in the insurance industry as what you would call a "Reinspector".  The joke was, when a major storm was approaching the coast all the tow trucks would be seen taking cars with blown engines to Ocean City...........................

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I saw it in post Katrina Louisiana as we were in the NW corner unaffected but cars from the flood were being sold everywhere. We did rescues for three days starting the day after. The flood waters receded not an inch in that time and I understand it was weeks before it started to be dry.

Many folks think a few feet of water receding in less than a day. I have a hundred or so pics I took from our boat and here is one from our day two the third day after Katrina hit. This was a neighborhood between Tulane Ave and Canal Street between downtown and the Causeway overpass over the Jefferson Parish Sheriff substation.

UpMGkFRl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire