V10 mpg

superyooper

Recently aquired a 2005 fleetwood southwind 32v with v10. Surprised at the low mpg so bought a 5star programmer only to discover the last owner had already programmed it but did not return it to the stock program prior to selling it. So therefore the ecm cannot be programmed untill it is unlocked. Has anyone ran into this before and are there any possible solutions? Gas mileage is around 4.3 so any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Getting a vehicle with a tune, but without the original tuner is a real problem. Is there any way possible to contact the previous owner about getting the tuner with the stock program?

If not you may be able to go to a Ford dealer and have them reflash the ECM with a stock tune, and then take it from there. Many dealers may not want to mess with it, but if you have a friendly dealer you might try them. 

I had two different pickups with the V-10, and pulled heavy fifth wheels with both. While the mileage of the V-10 isn't anything to brag about, 4.3 mpg is unusually poor. Speed makes a big difference in mileage with this motor. How fast are you generally running?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I've had 3 trucks with the V-10.  Well, 4 if you count the Dodge.  Worst I ever got pulling a 40' cargo trailer with sleeping quarters was 5.5, with a terrible head wind.  Got 9 mpg running around south-west Colorado mountains with that trailer.  

Of the three Fords. only one had the three valve heads.  It was by far the strongest, but slightly worse  mileage.  That's what I pulled the above trailer with.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I owned a 36' class A with the 275 hp version of the V10 and added a Banks performance package to it, including the TransCommand for the transmission. We were fulltime in in for nearly 12 years and almost all of the miles were towing a Honda CR-V. I typically got 7 to 8 mpg with headwinds would drop to 6.  I don't think that I ever had a tank that got less then 5 mpg. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I've had 3 trucks with the V-10.  Well, 4 if you count the Dodge.  Worst I ever got pulling a 40' cargo trailer with sleeping quarters was 5.5, with a terrible head wind.  Got 9 mpg running around south-west Colorado mountains with that trailer.  

Of the three Fords. only one had the three valve heads.  It was by far the strongest, but slightly worse  mileage.  That's what I pulled the above trailer with.

News to me, I never knew Dodge made a V10. There is an ongoing thread on irv2.com comparing fuel consumption between the V10 and new V8 Ford engines.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Mine was a '94, and was indeed a torque monster.  But, I replaced it with a '99 Ford V-10, and even though the Dodge was 2wd v. the Ford being 4wd, the Ford averaged almost 3 mpg better.  This was over all miles, not just towing, and I tracked every gallon over the time I owned the vehicles, about 90k miles each.

In my experience, driving habits play a bigger part in economy than which engine you choose.  Was riding with a friend a couple days ago who was complaining about the mileage in their F-150 2wd w/ Eco-Boost.  I've had three of that same model, but all 4wd.  I have averaged over 5 mpg better than they.  But then, I drive like a grandpa.........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 5 weeks later...

Was finally able to get it figured out.Got help from tech support at 5 star. Seems there is a problem when trying to program using the 5 star unit. Have to be pretty fast when punching the keys on the programmer. Anyway I got it done and am very impressed with the results. Have yet to see gas mileage results but can feel the power increase for sure. Thanks to all who responded👍

41 minutes ago, superyooper said:

Anyway I got it done and am very impressed with the results.

Please do return and update us on what you get now. Also I invite you to participate in any and all of the Escapee forums. We really need to get some more active members!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My experience with two V10s was similar to Dutch's, even at one time towing a RAV4 on our dolly. When we traveled I always used 7 MPG, towing or not, as my cost basis on budgeting fuel. Worked out well for us. The longest trip was to the Black Hills of So. Dakota, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood up to Devil's Tower in Wyoming and back. Almost 4000 miles and for the entire trip we averaged 6.87 MPG which I was very happy with.