Record any screen activity (such as video, game or key strokes) in Windows 10

justRich

A new to me feature of Windows 10 is it's ability to screen capture video. 
For example I want to capture a series of key strokes or an instructional video and access it off-line in a remote location.

Record by pressing these button sequentially:  Windows,Alt,R
Playback:  Windows,Alt,G

With a little experimentation one can figure out how it works.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

It is amazing how we all do things differently but just as easily. I can also do it using my cell phone and Windows Phone link to get it into a file and then upload to YouTube. I will fire up my back up that runs 10 to check your method.

As I am on 11, I checked it for me and this came up:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That sequence on my W10 machine results in a pop-up "run" app. My last 2 cumulative updates were for 21H2 on 8/31/22

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Which sequence Ray, the one in my video?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

. NOPE, just tried 3X;  W, Alt, R in sequence makes the run  command box appear.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray, maybe you have a sticky key in the sequence. It works for me. Now, I just have to figure out why I need it, before I forget how to get to it.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

No sticky keys assigned. In addition to the run pop-up, the computer also goes to the apps tile screen.

I give up, thanks anyway.

The one useful thing I have tried to learn are the special symbol sequences, like  ½°ëäØ trouble with that, it depends entire upon my memory___.

Edited by Ray,IN

Ray I got the same results with a fully patched Windows 10 Pro machine. Are you running Pro or home? I believe that may be the difference. I don't have any Windows 10 Home machines here, all pro.

That sequence on My Windows 11 home machine results in the same as yours too, results in CMD or the run app as many call it too.

I have a Windows 10 Backup current 6 core fast Dell Optiplex 5080 and just tried it there and that sequence gets me nothing if held and run in sequence as a result. Here is an easier way, go to search next to the start button and search for Xbox Game Bar and click on it. It does not seem to make sense but that is it and you can look up how to use it in 11 on my link above or you can go to YouTube and search for recording with Xbox Game Bar.

I have no need of it as I record videos with my phone and put them on YouTube for free and I am not a premium member.

Click on this link to go to YouTube and see all the results on how to use it. Watch one and you may find it a can't live without app, or a No need for that app. Hope that helps

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=using+Xbox+Game+Bar+in+Windows+10

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, W10 home.

Darryl, I just bought a new K350 wireless keyboard last month. All the keys work, I use the ALT, W, and CTRL keys daily, as you read, the r key works.

This is very low on my important items list, so I'll  forget about it, I was curious.

• 5 months later...