Queen Elizabeth 11 passing

bruce t

She was a great lady and I can not remember a time when she was not the Queen. She will be missed.

I had opportunity a number of years ago to see her fairly up close when we attended the Highland Games at Balmoral. My son swears she was looking directly at and waving to us specifically. Whether she was or wasn't that remains one of his most vivid memories of our time in Scotland. 

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Sadly the loss of the greatest monarch ever.   The Royal family will never be the same going forwards.   My mother was the spitting image of her, and as a young child in my dressing gown (housecoat) with a white rabbit on the pocket if I was very rarely back downstairs at 10.30pm when the black and white TV ended for the night in those days (big long beep at end), they'd play the national anthem and my mum had me stand there with hand on heart until it was finished.   Just a sign of the times back in the 50's and 60's.

Just can't see the remaining royals ever commanding the respect she did for all those decades.

She became queen the same year I was born to an English dad who came to New York in 1949 met and married my mom. They split up and I never heard from him until he died as Honorary British Consul to Mexico at Acapulco and found a Brit brother who filled me in on the rest of his life. Queen Elizabeth Awarded him the OBE and he served in the British Foreign Service until he died. He was USAF for one four year tour as they let foreign nationals serve. I have his passport. I'll be talking to my British brother who lives in Barcelona and England. The Queen was a force of nature in a turbulent world.

Excerpt:

"And while much has happened during the 70 years of her reign, one of her accomplishments happened before she ever wore the crown: Elizabeth was the first woman in the Royal Family to serve as an active duty member of the British Armed Forces, according to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. 

At sixteen years old, then-Princess Elizabeth had been given the role of “honorary colonel of the Grenadier Guards,” according to the museum. But after turning 18 in 1944, she “insisted upon joining the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS).” 

‘Princess Auto Mechanic’ — Here’s how Queen Elizabeth served in World War II Princess (later Queen ) Elizabeth of Great Britain doing technical repair work during her World war two military service 1944. (Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

In a video from the Imperial War Museum, curator Kate Clements said that Elizabeth joined the military against the wishes of her father, King George. The King ensured that Elizabeth “was not given a special rank in the Army,” the National WWII Museum says. Elizabeth ultimately  “trained as a driver and mechanic with the rank of Second Subaltern,” and was promoted five months later to Junior Commander."

Source:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/queen-elizabeth-military-service-wwii/#:~:text=As queen%2C Elizabeth was the colonel-in-chief of the,doesn’t appear she strayed from her military roots.

She has touched many lives worldwide with her adherence to service before self, duty, and the highest of personal standards for her family. We will miss here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My dad and a future King. I think this was at his MBE presentation by the queen. Wonderful people.

AI6ELoQl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire