Oil sample results...decode help needed

trimster

14 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

That might make sense.  Take the smart home for a week or two.

So, rest of the story. Smart has a problem as well. Plug or coil on #1. Replaced all plugs. Have not run it enough to see if that solved the problem. 

We do have the CanAm trike, but we have 'stuff that exceeds the capacity of both to take with us.

Yes. Boxed in on all sides.

And we have packages being shipped to our next 2 destinations that are important. 

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

If you want to get the truck home. Go to Walmart and get a drain pan and oil. Change your oil yourself. Forget about the filter. If you have to do it again in another 500-1000 miles, do it. At least you can get home and use the shop of your choice. At this point you really should have the oil pan pulled and main bearings checked anyway. 

I grew up around a bunch of poor owner operators. More than one has limped their trucks home this way. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

So this trip just gets better...maybe now.

Truck injector problems

Bedroom slide sheared both gear roll pins.

Smart car #1 cylinder misfiring. Changed all three plugs. Seems happy now.

In Sheridan, Wy a micro burst hit and tore up the awning fabric and came close to sending the wife to the hospital.

Now, I've tested positive for Covid. Crap.

Hunkered down in a park outside Hill, City until the 20th. Getting drugs tomorrow. After that, headed home.

Of course this was a fishing focused trip and all the rivers we targeted are blown out. Yellowstone, Wind, Big Horn, etc. Best laid plans.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

"A trip without adversity is just a tour," said one of my old motorcycle buddies.  He helped me through several rough spots, and we laughed about them later.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

In Rawlins,  wy. Last stop before home base. Pumped 1½ gals if deluted oil out of the engine. It was quite over full. Added back 3½ qrts of fresh oil for the 250 miles tomorrow. 

Truck goes into the shop Monday.  Estimated cost...$5600. Crap. My only option in Salt Lake is the volvo dlr.  Not happy with that.

Rickeieio...understand challenges can make a trip, but this has been over the top. There's been good moments. But....

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Only a few ways for fuel to get into the crankcase. Rings not sealing properly. Also results in low compression, thus low power. Injector over-fueling a cylinder. Usually causes smoke, but these new emission system exhaust probably prevent that. Going to be hell to pay when the repairs include DPF. Injector cup. My leading guess, at this point.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Not noticing any power loss. Pulls like a champ. Injector or cup is the leading guess at this time from several service folks. No smoke or darkening of the inside if the stack that might be associated with rings.

Know more middle of next week. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Robert, good luck. I hope it's as simple as then injector cup. Mechanical issue are a PITA, but they make for good campfire tales.  Eventually, that pain in your wallet will fade, some.

We're in Riverside, WY for a couple more days, not far from Rawlins.  That said, by now you're likely back home.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Volvo shop just called. Head scratcher. Ran the leak test twice and there are not leaks in the cups or injectors. In fact, when I left Rawlins, Wy, it was a few quarts low on oil. After that drive home, it was still a few quarts low.

We're pulling an oil sample for another test.

So, they are having problems with 3 bolts that hold some kinda spacer piece between the valve cover and the head. They're seized. If it's not replaced after the bolts are extracted, it will leak. So $500 for this part and $450 for a new valve cover gasket. WTF. A piece of molded rubber is $450! Even the service guy was way apologetic. Not rhyme or reason. Just Volvo thinks highly of their parts, then doubles the price for good measure. I purchased the two gaskets for the rotofilter. $100. Crazy, crazy.

On an additional tangent... we sold our 5th wheel trailer yesterday. Looking for a newer one (2012-2019), 36'-40', Toyhauler, sub $60k price range. Full time job searching for these things.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

This is just a wild guess.

Could it be coming from the fuel pump assembly. I am not a diesel mechanic by no means.

But that would be another possibility. There should be a seal containing the fuel from the drive mechanism. Never thought of that before.

Search the net for info

Now we're getting into the 2nd page of the diesel engine troubleshooting tree. Cracked fuel line inside the rocker box area, loose fitting on same, injector randomly sticking and slobbering, poor test procedure during injector/cup test. Hard to troubleshoot over a keyboard.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Agreed.

All I have is this... it's the Volvo shop. It's the shop foreman doing the work because he specializes in this specific problem. He did the test Friday. Let the truck sit over the weekend and did it again today. Even he is puzzled.

Now, I left Rawlins, Wy a few quarts low and it hit the shop the same.  That's only 300 miles. It took 680 miles to put the reading on the dipstick from just under to over full.

I will be the first to admit that I might have read the stick wrong (not likely) or the truck was not level (more likely in campgrounds). Ideal world would be to do all measurements on the same ground, but not happening while traveling.

Even with just 680 miles on fresh oil the test should show a problem if it, in fact, exists.

Not having a firm answer/solution is as frustrating to say the least.

I do appreciate the input... very much.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

What we need is a virtual meeting to discuss these problems as a group.

I just did a FaceTime call with a customer to help him install a toilet, in a odd rv.

It did work, just frustrating that you cannot put your arm through the internet 

15 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

What we need is a virtual meeting to discuss these problems as a group.

Thats a fantastic idea.  Maybe something like a ZOOM meeting.  Maybe have someone administrate it and set up topics and have them once or twice a week.  Could have people set up to do demonstrations like Chad on solar and people building their own beds or different issues people are having on their rigs.  Maybe have a separate section in the forum so things can be discussed after the meetings.  I don't know if something like this is possible, because I have no knowledge on how these things work.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car