Smallpox vaccines can protect against monkeypox, and U.S. has 100 million doses

As a hedge against bad information again rising, as with CoOVID at first, there is such a disease as monkeypox and it is a serious disease. However the smallpox vaccines I/we got a long time ago we actually have stockpiled are effective against Monkeypox too. But no they are only effective for three to five years after being vaccinated, so we would need another vaccination if it grows to a Pandemic.

Unlike COVID we do not have to start from scratch in developing and producing a vaccine for monkeypox. That takes years. and yes all of us would need to be re-vaccinated if a rise becomes epidemic here.

Here is a good article about it I believe is reliable.

Excerpt:

"Partial Protection

He continued: "The vaccine also gives partial protection against monkeypox, so it was keeping monkeypox from spreading also."

A number of countries have now ordered in smallpox/monkeypox vaccines in light of the new monkeypox cases. Is it likely that we will see another rollout on the scale of the '60s and '70s? Unlikely, Madhi said.

"This needs to be balanced by what benefit would be derived at a population level to continue use of a vaccine to prevent what are really sporadic cases, and which has largely been confined to settings with close interface between humans and animals—rather than widespread.

"That is not to say that these cases, or dealing with outbreaks should be ignored, but it does warrant a more nuanced approach which will also ensure efficient use of vaccines that are currently stockpiled in a few high income countries."

Jit echoed the point. "Given that monkeypox usually doesn't spread very easily among humans, it probably isn't a good idea to vaccinate entire populations against smallpox just to prevent monkeypox."

Much more in the article here:

https://www.newsweek.com/monkeypox-smallpox-vaccine-why-did-rollout-stop-eradicated-1708652

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I read that; it makes me wonder how many people younger that us have been vaccinated against smallpox. It's too late after one contracts monkeypox, which has a low fatality rate from what I read last week.

Of course all us veterans received more vaccinations than we probably know about, or can remember.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

I didn't see anything that said our very old smallpox vaccinations might still be or not be effective. Do you know if this a once in a lifetime need? I hope.

Linda

"Smallpox vaccination provides full immunity for 3 to 5 years and decreasing immunity thereafter. If a person is vaccinated again later, immunity lasts even longer. Historically, the vaccine has been effective in preventing smallpox infection in 95% of those vaccinated."

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/7022/#:~:text=Smallpox vaccination provides full immunity,in 95% of those vaccinated.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Guys I am a retired Med Lab technologist and I never said that we were still protected from 40 years ago. I have had one smallpox vaccination in the 60s and another in the 90s when overseas active duty  and traveled to Africa but that was optional. It is every 3-5 years. I am not protected now as I would be if we had another pandemic of monkeypox.

My link above is broken so I am editing it to include a good link too.

At least, unlike COVID, we are immediately be able to see who is infected as they will have pox all over them.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire