Changing Radiator Thermostat on Volvo D12

SuiteSuccess

I’m in the process of changing out the overflow tank and radiator hoses on my 2006 Volvo D12.  At the suggestion of a friend, I was encouraged to go ahead and change out the thermostat also.  Saw a single video on YouTube but it mainly showed just the location of the thermostat.  My father was a master mechanic but none of that rubbed off on me so I’m not very mechanical but can turn a wrench.  I did read on truckers report that getting the seal back in properly can be tricky.  Has anyone done this repair and can offer tips or “gotchas”?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

All I got is "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey". There's probably a few tricks-of-the-trade, but I don't have any.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Carl,

It's just like changing the thermostat on a Toyota, just a little bigger. Clean up the block where the rubber O-ring sits and put a little silicone grease on the outer edge of the O-ring if needed to get it to slip into the hole. Note I said a LITTLE grease...

After that, just make sure it doesn't slip out any when you are putting the housing back on. That is the biggest issue some people have is not paying attention and cracking the thermostat housing by letting the thermostat slip between the housing and the block when they tighten the bolts.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl,

It's just like changing the thermostat on a Toyota, just a little bigger. Clean up the block where the rubber O-ring sits and put a little silicone grease on the outer edge of the O-ring if needed to get it to slip into the hole. Note I said a LITTLE grease...

After that, just make sure it doesn't slip out any when you are putting the housing back on. That is the biggest issue some people have is not paying attention and cracking the thermostat housing by letting the thermostat slip between the housing and the block when they tighten the bolts.

David,

My issue is going to be finding the damn thing and seeing how many parts I have to take loose to get it out.  On the internet there is only one 28 second video of its location on the Volvo D12 and it requires a bit of work to get to it.  May be one of those things that I get the pros to do.  I like the challenge so gonna take a close look tomorrow.  BTW thanks for the tip on the magnetic extensions for the sockets.  Ordered them today.  My luck is always dropping a nut or bolt into a place that I can’t get at or even find afterwards.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, two handiest things to have at your elbow are an extendable magnet, and a magnetic tray for holding parts, wrenches, etc.  Some might say the Snap-On models are best, but I have Genuine John Deere.  Seriously, any auto parts place will have both.  Keep them handy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Doesn't Volvo supply a free membership website with all the manuals and part numbers? Cummins has QuickServe for their engines, with 5 serial numbers allowed for free.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Doesn't Volvo supply a free membership website with all the manuals and part numbers? Cummins has QuickServe for their engines, with 5 serial numbers allowed for free.

No.  They have an online parts catalog that a dealer has to authorize and to my reading it was geared to fleet owners.  Interesting the parts desk at the dealer I always have used would not give me parts numbers for hoses or thermostat so I could source even though they did not have them in stock.  They had no problems giving me numbers in the past, so something has changed.

Rick,

I have both already and as I told David, will soon have magnetic socket extensions.  

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

For those wondering what these extensions are, they are a very short extension with a magnet in the end of them that extends into the socket. These work a LOT better than the inserts that are sold for this purpose. Gearwrench makes a set like these here: 

GEARWRENCH 81237 3 Piece Magnetic Adapter Set - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com

And they will be a lot cheaper than the Snap-on set that I have. They are worth their weight in gold when you need them though.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I've never seen those extensions.  They'd be a lot handier than jamming a piece of paper in the socket to hold a nut.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

42 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I've never seen those extensions.  They'd be a lot handier than jamming a piece of paper in the socket to hold a nut.

You just need to have friends that have one of every tool known to man and two of most.  I bet he has an original stone ax and will also bet it says SnapOn on the side,  🤣.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Ok parts ordered.  Magnetic extensions arrived.  Located thermostat and looks like it may be in my skill set.  Only one pipe and two hoses to move out of the way.  

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Let the fun begin.  Seeing if a novice mechanic can become mechanical.

d8qSPU7l.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hey Carl, bring it on up and we can get in some quality wrench'n time, and have some chicken too.  Shop is wide open at the moment.

There's even a quart Mason jar of some of JW Morgan's finest on thew toolbox.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Hey Carl, bring it on up and we can get in some quality wrench'n time, and have some chicken too.  Shop is wide open at the moment.

There's even a quart Mason jar of some of JW Morgan's finest on thew toolbox.

Ooo! Will have to contemplate that offer.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3