Wreck

Last Monday was traveling south from Rapid City and was about 15-20 miles N of a town. Wind picked up severe gusts  was told later by sheriff was 60-60 mph gusts.  Wind picked up right side of trailer then set it back down, then another gust picked it up again i saw it go past point of no return and over. i was  hopeing  and praying no one was in next lane that I take Out too thankfully no one else was close front wheels hit shoulder and I flipped I was trapped in side   
Very soon some good Samaritans came to my rescue and kept me calm and comfortable until  rescue arrived. A travel nurse stopped climbed in took vitals and kept me comfortable. Rescue came cut me out and transported me to hospital. 

im banged up bruised up very sore but still alive, after looking at my truck a few days later I am surprised  i was not hurt worst My number must not have come up yet 

Be safe out there everyone it all happens so fast

George the Greek

Glad you are recovering. Gusty winds are why I always checked the weather report before traveling. Dave's uncle had wind turn over their trailer on their very first trip; that was also their last trip towing a travel trailer. Be safe out there, everyone.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Glad you are recovering. Gusty winds are why I always checked the weather report before traveling. Dave's uncle had wind turn over their trailer on their very first trip; that was also their last trip towing a travel trailer. Be safe out there, everyone.

Linda

Same here . Heck , i don't even like running in wet conditions . Just trying to make tomorrow come easier . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

George - I'm glad you made it out in relatively OK shape from what it sounds like.

Though not with a trailer, I've been through that. I ended up upside down in a pickup truck in the ditch after hitting ice. The weird thing was the whole episode went in slow motion. That was in 2010 and I still can play that slow motion back like the day it happened. Weird how things like that can stick so vividly. The truck was a diesel superduty - quite heavy. When I was upside down I felt the cab squishing - the seat was pushing me down on my head and neck. I don't know how I did it, but I just by instinct took my seat belt off and got horizontal and realized I could get out the window. So I did. About that time someone that saw the accident was running down the embankment I rolled down - quite frantically and it concerned me - I kinda felt like I was the one trying to calm him, not the other way around. Bizarre experience. I had a few glass cuts that the medics patched up. They wanted to take me to the hospital but I refused. Looking back on it, just as a "just in case", it probably would have been smart to go but I didn't have any issues after - no neck/back pain beyond anything I normally get.

Moral of the story - it does happen and we keep on keepin' on. On the bright side - I ended up upgrading trucks, not immediately but within a year or so. Keep your head up, keep a positive attitude, and good things will come. The most important thing is you're OK and no one else, from what it sounds like, got hurt. That is a blessing that you didn't hit anyone else.

15 minutes ago, FlyFishn said:

George - I'm glad you made it out in relatively OK shape from what it sounds like.

Though not with a trailer, I've been through that. I ended up upside down in a pickup truck in the ditch after hitting ice. The weird thing was the whole episode went in slow motion. That was in 2010 and I still can play that slow motion back like the day it happened. Weird how things like that can stick so vividly. The truck was a diesel superduty - quite heavy. When I was upside down I felt the cab squishing - the seat was pushing me down on my head and neck. I don't know how I did it, but I just by instinct took my seat belt off and got horizontal and realized I could get out the window. So I did. About that time someone that saw the accident was running down the embankment I rolled down - quite frantically and it concerned me - I kinda felt like I was the one trying to calm him, not the other way around. Bizarre experience. I had a few glass cuts that the medics patched up. They wanted to take me to the hospital but I refused. Looking back on it, just as a "just in case", it probably would have been smart to go but I didn't have any issues after - no neck/ba ck pain beyond anything I normally get.

Moral of the story - it does happen and we keep on keepin' on. On the bright side - I ended up upgrading trucks, not immediately but within a year or so. Keep your head up, keep a positive attitude, and good things will come. The most important thing is you're OK and no one else, from what it sounds like, got hurt. That is a blessing that you didn't hit anyone else.

Hey flyfishn  

thanks for relating how yours was I felt the same slo motion effect. I've been replaying it in my mind constantly. Made it home this evening took 3 days in a rental car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Get-home-itis has put more than a few people into the ground. We, too, constantly check the weather. If too windy, or too anything else, we'll stay another day or two. If we can't, I cut my speed. The windier it is the slower I go. Doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing, I slow down.

BTW, that's another good reason to make sure that tire pressures are where they should be before pulling out.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

So glad you will be OK.  Wind can come up quickly and I encountered strong wind gusts some years back.  We were lucky after the first big gust hit there was a rest area.  That gust lifted the semi ahead of us off the passenger side wheels.  We spent several hours in the rest area to wait it out.  Sorry it happened to you and hope you are doing better soon.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• 2 weeks later...

glad you came out OK with minimal bruises and scrapes.  That is exactly why I park the rig when the winds are getting high.  I can wait a day or two and let the weather settle down.

Take care.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot