Windows 11: Give yourself more time to roll back the upgrade

RV_

Excerpt:

"After a Windows 11 upgrade, you have 10 days to roll back to the previous Windows 10 installation. If that deadline seems uncomfortably short, you can use a built-in Windows tool to extend it to as much as 60 days."

Read how in the article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-11-give-yourself-more-time-to-roll-back-the-upgrade/?ftag=CAD2e14604

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Found no reason to roll back.  Windows 11 is less different than I expected.  Having gone thru the Windows 7 to 8 to 10 made the differences in 11 minor.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks Mark, I have not gone to Win 11 yet so any feedback is welcome. My new All In One will come with no choice, Windows 11 with no option for 10.

I am putting off buying until the next set of Christmas sales. I can wait as my old Dell 2720 is again a great working primary system. I had some corrupted Apps and I suspect some were Windows update caused, which I fixed. So my fast system is back.

Te rest of this reply is long and just a copy of the system, I am considering ordering, its list price and what they quoted discounted on the phone. If you or others are getting a new AIO nd want to know what I am considering in detail the details are below

This next HP AIO will be different as I have only owned three AIOs, two Dell 27" AIOs - my old 2720 i7 16GB RAM, and Lynn's 2020 model 27" Dell Inspiron 7790 AIO 10th gen i5-10210U processor (Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm technology.) 24GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB BC511-NVMe SSD for the system. I upgraded the 1TB HDD storage drive it came with, to a WD Blue 1TB storage drive. The third is a 21” Lenovo touch AIO with a Pentium G3440T/512GB Samsung SSD/12GB RAM which is also being sold cheap.

Below is the system I am getting or close to it now that I know they are not making the 32" with a touch screen.

With the holiday discount the 27" below is $1613.69

Little items like the $10 upgrade to the IR camera make it facial recognition capable. QHD (Quad HD) is what I am used to and FHD pixels distracting to me. The 2X2 WiFi upgrade is $10 but much faster. I like having a large touchscreen too.

c06609389.png

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-d0255xt touch optional

Product #: 8AJ56AV_1

$1872.99

Primary Specs

Base

HP Pavilion 27 All-in-One PC

Operating system

Windows 11 Home

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-10700T (2.0 GHz up to 4.5 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)

Color

White with 5 MP IR privacy camera with integrated quad array digital microphone

Display

68.6 cm (27") diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), touch, IPS, three-sided micro-edge, anti-glare, 350 nits, 72% NTSC

Memory

16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

Storage

1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD

Secondary storage

2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD

Graphics card

NVIDIA® GeForce® MX 350 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Additional Specs

Intel® Optane™ memory

No Optane

Power supply

150 W Smart AC power adapter

Networking

Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, MU-MIMO supported

Productivity software

No Additional Office Software

McAfee LiveSafe™ security software

McAfee Livesafe (30 day)

Keyboard and mouse

USB white wireless keyboard and mouse combo

Base Unit

BU ICTO Pav 27 H470 C5 QHD 27-d0

Country kit

CKIT HP CTO PAV 1C20 US

Cycle AV

20C1 Cycle AV

OpSysSW Localization

OSLOC US

I also have data and image backups of my main and backup systems. I also have a full backup system a 27" Quad HD non-touch Acer monitor and HP G1 Mini PC with a Quad Core i5/512 GB Intel SSD and 16GB RAM WiFi and Bluetooth that I can switch to besides the Surface Pro 7 Systems which are smaller than I like for my main sessions in my home office.

Everything we have now is Windows 11 capable EXCEPT: my main Dell 2720 system, the HP G1 backup mini system, and the Beelink mini PC on the TV which is going to be Linux or replaced before 2025. I have the 256GB SSD version (https://www.priceboon.com/product/beelink-gemini-t34/#:~:text=The new Beelink Gemini T34 Mini-PC works on,for file storage there are 128GB%2F 256GB%2F 512GB.) The Beelink T34 is very nice to use on a large screen TV with great graphics. For folks using their systems for just basics no video editing these are responsive and handle all tasks well. But it is not Win 11 compatible.

Since most new 2021 manufactured systems today are Windows 11 compatible I am going to start looking for my backup system replacement too. It will be an Intel type NUC Or business HP MINI refurbished to replace the G1 which will only be good for Linux after 2025. I have an Atom Z7 Beelink mini on our main TV which will also be replaced with another mini PC system between now and 2025, likely refurbished. I use the Logitech K400 for my TV systems as it is ideal for use watching TV or using the computer on the LR and Family room 65" QLED screens.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I would roll thru with Windows 11 on the PCs in the house but my main PC, an Intel NUC, does not have the TPM chip and Windows 11 will not load except by some backdoor method I do not want to do.  So far, I have not seen enough advantages to Windows 11 to spend the $1300 to replace the main PC.  I am doing the qualified PCs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

When you do the upgrade to Win 11, does it tell (warn) you about which programs will no longer work ahead of time?  Or, is it a big surprise after you do the upgrade?

Seems like in the past, you could run a program in an earlier version mode (example: in Win 7 mode).  When I upgraded to Win 10, I had programs which just disappeared.

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

When you do the upgrade to Win 11, does it tell (warn) you about which programs will no longer work ahead of time?  Or, is it a big surprise after you do the upgrade?

Seems like in the past, you could run a program in an earlier version mode (example: in Win 7 mode).  When I upgraded to Win 10, I had programs which just disappeared.

There is a PC health check utility you can run on the PC  prior to upgrading. It will tell you which apps and hardware items will be problematic (if any). I have a fairly new PC, so no hardware problems. I'm running some very old apps (as in 10+ years old) and they are running fine. The upgrade went very smoothly of both my wife's and my Lenovo notebooks which were running Windows 10.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Mark, at the ripe old age of seven years old my 2720 is ancient and can't handle 11. Same with my HP G1 and the Beelink mini. I am selling off one of my two Windows 11 capable Surface Pro 7 systems, the old Lenovo AIO, and the two older mini PCs really cheap, so they are a good deal for three years for some folks.

But I feel you.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I have two computers with Windows 11 and one with Windows 10. I don't see much difference except where Microsoft was trying to emulate some of their competitors and wound up dumbing down their interfaces. Windows 10 had a better start menu. When I had a routine task that required one mouse click in 10, I now have 2 or 3 mouse clicks in 11. That's a step backwards.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Thanks Michael. With all of your input it appears I need to get on the ball and start upgrading to 11 on my Surface devices and getting the hang of 11. After the Holidays it looks like I'll be setting up several systems.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998