Socorro NM to Carrizozo NM

Wrknrvr

I really do not like interstate travel. Nor do we like traffic. 

Today we traveled from Casper Wyoming to Scott’s Bluff Nebraska, then south on route 71 and are spending the night in Rocky Ford Colorado. Well it is hard to believe there is so many square miles of open grass land on that road. Some neighbors are a few miles apart. Some stretches are hilly and some have ravines. There is some farming but not a lot. Also they are harvesting sugar beets around Scott’s Bluff. Never new they had sugar beats that far south.

So just looking for something different.

Vern

3 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

I really do not like interstate travel. Nor do we like traffic. 

Today we traveled from Casper Wyoming to Scott’s Bluff Nebraska, then south on route 71 and are spending the night in Rocky Ford Colorado. Well it is hard to believe there is so many square miles of open grass land on that road. Some neighbors are a few miles apart. Some stretches are hilly and some have ravines. There is some farming but not a lot. Also they are harvesting sugar beets around Scott’s Bluff. Never new they had sugar beats that far south.

So just looking for something different.

Vern

We avoid big cities whenever possible too.  Undecided whether to go to Taos or Santa Fe, but we will be forced to go through Albuquerque if we do, I think.  
This trip is our first to either CO or UT.  We went south from 80 through Baggs to Rifle, then west on 70, because we were advised to avoid Denver also.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

27 minutes ago, geodog1 said:

US 380 from Socorro to Carrizozo is not a bad drive. Alberquerque is not too bad, just get in the center lane and keep on trucking.

We usually stay at Enchanted Trails on the west side of Albq.

ShortyO

Same.  We have been through Albuquerque and is not bad at all even with an HDT…that is unless the wind is blowing. 😂

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We have made our trip across this this highway. But before we did I checked the New Mexico State highway listing for road restrictions. And Hwy 380 did not have a restriction listed.

So about 1/3 mile before we were to turn west on 380 the DW read a sign saying about road restrictions to 65’. Well I am not 65’. When we got to the intersection it was hard to make a right turn as the curb was rather close . Sorta like it would be in a town. She did not say if the restrictions were east or west. So to the right we go.

About 8 miles down the road she said did you see any big trucks. Well no I did not. At least so far I did not. I could tell she was starting to think I may be in deep do do if we do not see any other trucks.

But then there was one, then another and we did see several other trucks headed east on Hwy 380.

There were no tandem trailers though. The highway was really nice to travel on although it was only a two lane road.

Safe Travels,   Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

We have driven US-380 a number of times an found it a pleasant drive. Truck and trailer 58' long. The Valley of Fires BLM area in Carrizozo is an interesting place and the campground has some electric and water sites. Bottomless Lakes State Park just East of Roswell is also a nice campground. From Carrizozo going East, US-54 to Santa Rosa or US-70 will get you back to I-40.

If you want to get to I-40 East from Santa Fe, NM-14 (the Turquoise Trail) or US-285 will take you to I-40 missing Albuquerque. NM-14 is a typical NM state highway and goes through the Historic Town of Madrid where the movie "Wild Hogs" was filmed.

Getting to I-40 West from Taos or Santa Fe while avoiding Albuquerque is much more involved and may take you a long way out of you way. Unless you actually want to go through Northwestern NM and Northeast Arizona to pickup I-40 around Flagstaff. 

• Phil D changed the title to Socorro NM to Carrizozo NM

Looks like we were too late (again) checking into the forum.  We have been across that road numerous times; the last time was going the opposite direction, coming from Ennis, TX & headed to our property outside Datil (west of Socorro)  Have stayed at Valley of Fire numerous times in various rigs, including the HDT/New Horizons combo. Dave also hated driving the rig through ABQ (even though we worked there & lived east of town) -- but we did exactly what geodog & Suite Success recommended.  Crazy drivers can make it a bit stressful, but it's not like going through Denver or Dallas!

For your size, I wouldn't really recommend NM 14.  We lived in Sandia Park, right on NM 14, for 20+ years, & although a beautiful drive, the stretch before & after Madrid isn't exactly what I would consider big rig friendly.

I'm confused as to why you asked about Socorro to Carrizozo to get around ABQ. Since you're coming from the north, you're already through ABQ by the time you get to Socorro. 

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

We have made our trip across this this highway. But before we did I checked the New Mexico State highway listing for road restrictions. And Hwy 380 did not have a restriction listed.

So about 1/3 mile before we were to turn west on 380 the DW read a sign saying about road restrictions to 65’. Well I am not 65’. When we got to the intersection it was hard to make a right turn as the curb was rather close . Sorta like it would be in a town. She did not say if the restrictions were east or west. So to the right we go.

About 8 miles down the road she said did you see any big trucks. Well no I did not. At least so far I did not. I could tell she was starting to think I may be in deep do do if we do not see any other trucks.

But then there was one, then another and we did see several other trucks headed east on Hwy 380.

There were no tandem trailers though. The highway was really nice to travel on although it was only a two lane road.

Safe Travels,   Vern

Because of the weather when we left Kalispell Montana we had to go east to miss a ice storm on I-15 going into Idaho.

So to miss traffic we went to Scott’s Bluff Nebraska and then headed south. I would guess we passed 75 trucks till we got to I-25 in Trinidad Colorado.

That was from Scott’s Bluff Nebraska the whole way to Trinidad Colorado. So really there was very little traffic to deal with.

So we are in The area of Truth or Consequences NM.

Hiding,   Vern