Stealth camping in the city

On 6/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, etcetera said:

I have no choice in the matter, as my choice of living is driven by my employment.  I do not get really to pick where I live.

All IT work is in large metro areas. DC, Chicago, Denver, and the west coast. Nothing in podunk wasteland in New Mexico. Where camp sites are a dime a dozen.

Of course you have a choice.  Now whether a job in others parts of the country would pay as much clearly is high on your list of must haves from the way you talk about this job.   Also, your characterization of others parts of the country is really telling - how long is the nose that looks down on New Mexico.

What are you going to do 5 nights a week to heat any vehicle parked on the street in the winter when the temperature is in the teens and the batteries go out trying to keep the furnace running? 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

You do not have a choice when you are bound by a court order that defines a custodial agreement involving a minor child  - evidently you not being in that position puts you  light years away from identifying with that reality, or knowing that some people live in any  paradigm other than yours.

Same useless advice as given by Marie Antoinette, why not just eat cake?

(When you don't have any bread). If you don't like it where you are - just move, simple.  
I could never think of that brilliance.

1 minute ago, etcetera said:

You do not have a choice when you are bound by a court order that defines ......

A unique problem that has nothing to do with RV parks or other items about which you have been ranting about in this thread.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

DC has had very mild winters for the last 5  years in the row, or so. It hardly dipped into 20's. Heat is likely a bigger issue in the summer but you don't die from it.

Maybe install Solar. I am thinking about making incremental progress towards what I want. Capacity planning for 5 days of the grid and 2 days to recharge. It seems Class C/B/etc gives you a lot of options, maybe find a place to park it with shore power. 

If I go 100% remote, I could move to the South in the winter, Florida here I come and to the North east in the summer, like Vermont or such. That's the whole point of mobility.  The great west is beautiful also, Colorado, Wyoming.   Utah scenery is breathtaking, the whole thing hinges upon having online access.

I worked with a guy who full-timed in Texas. He seemed to be happy.

If I go 100% remote, I could move to the South in the winter, Florida here I come and to the North east in the summer, like Vermont or such. 

I thought you couldn't do so because of a court order?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

A unique problem that has nothing to do with RV parks or other items about which you have been ranting about in this thread.

Except it does. If I have to pick up the minor child from school, I cannot stay at a certain CG that's 1 or 1.5 hours away and still make it on time to school pickup-drop off and other meetings.  

The court thing is really no longer relevant but it was for a decade. If there were many more CGs, with better locations, it would make a difference but there aren't. It's the county zoning thing and 100 other things that drive it.

Feel free to contribute nothing to thread, thanks. 

Just now, Barbaraok said:

I thought you couldn't do so because of a court order?  

You made a bad assumption again or read something in my statements that wasn't there - I am that 1% or 2% of fathers that has full custody and can determine living arrangements. I know it sounds incredible. 

The ex pretty much told me I could move anywhere, including Alaska (maybe I should accept her offer). It's probably a lot easier to stay at a CG now than it ever was for me and this point I still don't want to engage it but seek other arrangements.

You started a thread complaining about RV parks and, instead, your upset that there isn't one in the exact place that charges what you feel is appropriate so that you can satisfy a personal need.  After 16 yrs on the road, I have yet to find the perfect park that satisfies all my needs and wants at the perfect price in the perfect place.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

My situation in life is unique but so is everyone else's. I am not on the road. Not yet. I am stuck in one place. It may not be a bad place to be stuck in, but I am stuck nonetheless at least for a few more years. Maybe less.

I am venting my frustration and yes, ranting. Do all viewpoints here have to conform to a single party line or dogma? And if they don't, get ridiculed? 

I am also helping sharing my experiences, which while not as extensive as yours are still legitimate and validating.  I full timed before. Learned what I liked and what I didn't like. What was essential and what wasn't.

I don't know why it's so hard to realize members of this community are in vastly different places in life, which is fluid and not fixed. One size fits none. Maybe CGs work for other people, they definitely do, since they are so occupied and you need to wait for weeks and months at times to get a reservation. 

The real problem is not CG but the location. The state the county drives the availability. Then there is the social mores and the clientele. Nobody wants them here, it seems. Things are somewhat easier out west but there are other issues there. Being rural definitely helps. 

But many younger people, the working class, 20's and 30's and such.. they think it's absurd to pay 800-$1000 / month for a piece of dirt 20'x40',  a few feet away from other campers.. especially when they are at work all day and only need a place to sleep. CGs offer them nothing, especially if they are not socialites.  One famous CG here in DC is about 1600/month if you stay all month, you might as well rent a townhouse or a 1 bedroom in the suburbs. Will end up way cheaper overall. (NO RV expenses and no maintenance costs, gas or propane, etc. etc. etc.)

I don't know where I will be in a year or two. On the road or still here. Or something in between. I want to make some changes now so I am ready later.

But many younger people, the working class, 20's and 30's and such.. they think it's absurd to pay 800-$1000 / month for a piece of dirt 20'x40',  a few feet away from other campers.. especially when they are at work all day and only need a place to sleep. CGs offer them nothing, especially if they are not socialites.  One famous CG here in DC is about 1600/month if you stay all month, you might as well rent a townhouse or a 1 bedroom in the suburbs. Will end up way cheaper overall. (NO RV expenses and no maintenance costs, gas or propane, etc. etc. etc.)

Which is why most people don't buy and live in RVs in cities with limited parks and high rental rates for the parks.   If a park charges $1600 a month and people pay it, then that is the market telling them they are charging the correct amount.  You don't agree, don't rent there.   Seems to me you are outlining why an apartment might be a better choice for you.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, etcetera said:

You made a bad assumption again or read something in my statements that wasn't there - I am that 1% or 2% of fathers that has full custody and can determine living arrangements. I know it sounds incredible. 

The ex pretty much told me I could move anywhere, including Alaska (maybe I should accept her offer). It's probably a lot easier to stay at a CG now than it ever was for me and this point I still don't want to engage it but seek other arrangements.

So.... you have your children living with you.  Who takes care of them while you work?  Seems like a RV park would be a lot safer and a better place for a child to grow up rather than on the streets.  You stated you work until 6pm and do things until 8pm.  I'm concerned about your child/children.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, etcetera said:

I am that 1% or 2% of fathers that has full custody and can determine living arrangements. I know it sounds incredible. 

There is really nothing at all surprising in that as Escapees have many members who have children, both single parent and 2 parent families. The inclusiveness of the club is one of the strongest points. If you were to visit one of our annual rallies (called Escapade) you would also discover that there are members there in every type of RV available, including a very wide range of home built ones. The still working part of the club is now the most rapidly growing part, and although we retired members are still the largest group, if current trends continue that may not be the case for many more years. Escapees began as a group of families who worked construction and followed the trade where the big projects were, but has slowly come to be mostly retired people. About 10 years ago an effort to attract more working members began and in the past 5 years it as come on strongly. In my view, that growth is the future of the Escapees RV Club. If you were to join the Escapees RV Club, there is a section called Xscapers that is dedicated to the still working members.

Most of us here would be happy to help you, if we only knew how. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Which is why most people don't buy and live in RVs in cities with limited parks and high rental rates for the parks.   If a park charges $1600 a month and people pay it, then that is the market telling them they are charging the correct amount.  You don't agree, don't rent there.   Seems to me you are outlining why an apartment might be a better choice for you.  

Wow, I never considered that. 

And I don't. That's why I seek alternatives.  Which there are. I can see some can't process that without chocking or firing back demeaning, trivializing messages that add nothing to the search process.

29 minutes ago, etcetera said:

It's a compromise.

That is true for the vast majority of people. RVs come in all types and prices, and the people inside very just as much. We were no exception as we went shopping for a new, diesel class A, but actually bought a gasoline powered one which we kept for 14 years and which was our only home form more than 11 of those years. We all adjust according to the limits of our budgets in many ways. I helped a friend convert a large school bus into an RV for his family of 7 and in doing so came to realize just how great a commitment it is in both time and expense. For me it there would also have been a problem finding a place to keep the vehicle to be converted while doing the work. Paying rent or storage fees while building the RV can inflate the price to a point that makes buying a good used RV more attractive. Helping my friend also made me realize just how much is involved in figuring out where and how to put in the things that you need to live in it. For us, buying factory build RVs has worked out best but I have known several who did convert their own vehicle. You have some issues to deal with that we didn't. One thing that I would say is to not undervalue the amount of your time a conversion would require. You may want to take the approach of listing the advantages and disadvantages of each and also the costs of each choice to help in figuring it all out. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, etcetera said:

To me this sounds like you have full custody and can determine living arrangements.  

You need to make yourself clearer if this isn't what you meant.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

There are all sorts of misunderstandings about vagrancy laws and the ability to park and sleep in an RV in populated areas.  I tried to give a brief explanation of the legalities...without any sort of political overtunes...but it appears a moderator did not approve and deleted the post.  

It seems to me this is an important issue for anyone parking an RV in populated areas but apparently I cannot help.  I suggest you try to research this issue using other sources.

I am having a hard time understanding the forum guidelines, but it seems this was a personal attack.  

I have no interest in questioning the OP's choices.  At one time or another, many of us visit friends/relatives or otherwise stay in densely populated areas.  For that reason this seems to be an important topic.  For those situations, it seems important that we understand our rights and understand and comply with the laws.  It also seems important to avoid confrontations and understand how to deal with any potential confrontation.  Again, I conclude that sort of information does not fall within the forum guidelines and needs to be researched elsewhere.  

(2) Living in an Epic Truck Camper Built for Off-Grid Overland Adventures | FULL TOUR - YouTube

That type of living is for bohemians or young kids or broke. 

I've lived rough for some time. Now I'm near 70 and like a little comfort.

I got a 12 yo TC, moved up from an early model rusted out Aliner. If lotto cooperates I will get a small but cushy class C...with AC.  It is hard cooking in the summer when rig is 90 degrees inside. Cooking brings it over 100 degrees....short cooking.

37 minutes ago, slackercruster said:

It is hard cooking in the summer when rig is 90 degrees inside. Cooking brings it over 100 degrees....short cooking.

So why are you cooking? Make a salad and top it with a can of tuna or chicken. Eat cheese and crackers. Eat sandwiches and fruit. Eat yogurt or cottage cheese. Eat nut butter stuffed celery. But a roast chicken and eat many meals from it. There are so many ways to not cook. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I don't eat much canned foods. I like canned tuna, but I get a nautilus feeling from it. Gas fridge is on the fritz. Electric and 12 volt is OK, but I'm boondocking and used gas. So dairy products are an issue keeping cold. Salads require lots of water to wash. In a pinch I get bagged salads, but still have to give them a rinse. I was told lots of bagged salads are radiated, but don't know for sure.

Anyway, you are correct, try and eat cold foods in hot weather with no AC. But nice to have hot foods once in a while.