Jackalopee wiring

phoenix2013

The crimp lug on the yellow wire was "welded" to the board terminal. So what happened. The customer was going to attend the Hutch Rally. Just had a very nice hauler body put on the truck and the Jackalopee rewired to go to the lights and the RV plug in the new body. Body work was superbly done by the shop, rewiring of the electrical stuff was handed off to the SHOP MORON. This was couple of days before the Rally. Shop moron flunked basic logic, there was none, wired the RV socket regardless of color code indicated in the socket, black wire in the socket apparently ended up in the brown terminal location which means, when trailer was plugged in +12V trailer battery was just waiting to be connected to "something". In this instance running lights. The owner of the shop was horrified and immediately wanted to get new Jackalopee, but getting one to Colorado in a timely manner to make the Rally was not in the cards. I offered to deal with it at the Rally if the customer could limp down the road for a few hundred miles. This required a triple effort: the customer rewired the RV socket to the proper color code (shop moron not involved), the establishment purchased a Jackalopee for the Rally delivery, the establishment purchased a $15 bucks Autozone 3 to 2 lights converter for transplanting into the Jackalopee ( you can see the "surgery" at the bottom of the Jackalopee) to allow having basic lights for the "limp mode".

Hg9zHYKl.jpg

The moron was not involved in this implant surgery. Upon arrival at Hutch remedial surgery was scheduled starting with removal of the foreign implant, implanting the new pcb assembly and reconfiguring the cables. "Reconfiguring" was done according to the latest upgrade of the manual. Yes, there is a new version, no, it's not the whole thing, just the last two pages.

ibNSRhBl.jpg

f2l10cVl.jpg

This was the first field test of the new manual instructions for prepping and installing cable wires to the pcb, utilizing this prepping method for the RV side

zuzVSrZl.jpg

and the truck side.

zuzVSrZl.jpg

Since the customer was pretty handy, I supervised. More on the process in the next post. Incidentally the last two "new pages" (14 and 15) are available just let me know.

Edited by phoenix2013

I will almost guarantee that the Shop Moron is now better educated, and is now referred to as the Shop Flunky. If still employed at the same establishment. We all have to make mistakes in order to make forward progress.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hmm, shop moron to shop flunky. I guess one could view that as an upward movement in one's career path. Mistakes are  essential for learning and growing in experience and statue. FUBARs are an animal of entirely different species. This was a FUBAR of zero positivity from the experience point of view. The best outcome that FUBAR creator can hope for is that the boss looks at it, turns on the heel and walks away.

Edited by phoenix2013

Carrying on. The new board was installed in the Jackalopee. Wires with melted insulation were trimmed back. Outer casing was trimmed back to have at least 3 inches of "healthy wires". Wires were cut to the lengths shown on the wiring diagram for the RV side of the board. 3/8ths of the insulation was stripped from each wire end. Appropriate female connectors (yellow and blue) were crimped onto the ends according to the wire gauges.

Q1Ydjnpl.jpg

Wires with crimps were bunched together for insertion into the case.

Isef3Upl.jpg

cPWn4Qil.jpg

Next, the cable end was secured in the case with an external hex nut (hopefully you had it on the cable before you started it all), wires were spread and inserted, using hefty needle nose pliers into appropriate locations (by color) on the board. Do the heavy gauge wires (black, blue and white) first.

sG4eMsal.jpg

You see the same process (different wire lengths pattern) utilized on the bottom (the truck side). Neal, the truck owner and "rescuer", did most of the rewiring, the whole job start to finish I would estimate took 45 minutes.

9DTTYIOl.jpg

Neal is a delightful and multitalented individual (K-9 officer at one time), it was a pleasure to meet him, help him out and befriend him.

Edited by phoenix2013

By trying to promote the Moron, I may have committed a fatal logic error. I assumed (I know, I know) that the Moron (and shop management) took it as a learning/teaching moment and self-improvement was the order of the day. I know from many, many apprentie that this isn't always the case. I apologize to any flunkies I may have offended by lumping them with the moron class.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I've ran engineering departments and I ran production departments. Although we are having fun here about occasional stupidity that we are all capable off regardless of sophistication, I want to preface this with a general statement that in business all employees are valuable assets. Or why hire them in the first place, unless it's a relative that embarrasses the family. In any going concern there are countless people doing countless jobs most requiring high school diploma, or even less. The challenge to any manager is to task people according to their capabilities. The other challenge is who do you choose for tasks in "critical pathways". Good managers know who those employees are, usually a small minority since everyone else wants to hire them. I spoke to the individual in the establishment above, pleasant and competent, I can only guess that the employee he chose for whatever reason to do the wiring should not have been tasked with this job.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist