What TPMS are you using?

jenandjon

I know this has been discussed before but it has been a while. There are some new members here so I thought I would open the conversation again.

I am looking at tire pressure monitor systems. I finally decided to get one. I will also use it on my Commercial truck.  Most of them look to me that the sensor just screws on the valve stem. Since we only go on one or 2 long trips a year it makes sense to be able to switch from one truck to another. I will be using it on my commercial tractor only so I need 10 sensors. It just so happens my HDT is singled so If I just unscrew those same 10 sensors and put them on the HDT I will have enough for the trailer also.

Is it really just as easy as swapping out valve stem caps and putting the monitor in the other truck?

Just looking for suggestions. There are some really nice pricey ones and some that look pretty cheap.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I've been very satisfied with the performance of our TST 507 TPMS with 10 valve cap sensors. And yes, the monitor and sensors can easily be switched to another vehicle. The TST color monitor supports programming for 4 different trailers with up to 115 wheel positions including spares.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We use the TST 507 system and have been for probably at least 8 years. We have 12 sensors and I believe we have replaced 4 so far. We keep spare sensor batteries on hand (they are available cheaper thru Amazon in larger quantities)

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I have always been happy with my Pressure Pro. After 16 years I finally upgraded to the new version. It makes changing trailers simple. It will let you create numerous trailers (just install sensors on each one) and simply select which trailer you want to tow. Would be great for someone with 1 tow vehicle and numerous trailers. If I remember correctly it can handle 144 sensors.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I’ve had TST for 10 years.  No issues with my system.  I upgraded to the new color monitor a couple years ago because it allows for multiple trailers with different pressure settings which I needed for when I double tow.

As for just swapping the sensors and monitor, yes you can do that but it won’t just be a simple swap.  You will have to program the pressures each time you make the swap (that is assuming your RV tires will run at a different pressure than your commercial truck duals).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have a TST 507 and Chad is correct about it not being just a simple swap. My sensors are numbered (per the installation instructions) because they need to go back in the same position if they are removed. As part of the initial programming when they were installed they know where they are supposed to be on the rig and the high and low tire pressure at that position. 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.