General RV Center

There is a story out of Salt Lake City, Utah about an investigation of the General RV, Salt Lake location.  With General RV Centers being so large, having 13 locations in 6 different states, it does make me wonder about the experiences of people on the forums? It may be that it only happened in Utah, but I wonder?  Anyone here familiar with them?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I read that article this morning too. Makes us wonder if the lending institution was in some way involved along with General RV. But in today's world so many folks only want to know "What are the monthly payments"? It is up to the individual to do their homework and math. I remember years ago when we would be in Michigan I swore every RV had a General RV sticker on it. Then in the last number of years they are showing up in many areas. 

The thread concerning this on irv2.com was locked today because it turned political, but it still  contains a lot of information from past buyers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

The thread concerning this on irv2.com was locked today because it turned political, but it still  contains a lot of information from past buyers.

I just read it. It's not locked.  Perhaps there's another going on in another section.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I bought my motorhome from the General RV dealer in Canton, OH.  They refused to repair most of the warranty items, claiming that since I had driven the vehicle, I was responsible for anything that was broken!  The few items they did repair were things they just glued or snapped into place.  I ended up taking my rig to the factory customer service place in Decatur, IN, where everything under warranty was fixed quickly and correctly.  A couple of years later, i took it back to dealer for an oil change, but they claimed I had cancelled my appointment, and said they were too busy repairing vehicles that had been sold by them and that I would get better service if I had purchased my RV from them!!!  I loudly told them I had purchased it from them and would never, under any conditions, come back!! 

The mess with financing is why I always get my own financing when I buy anything.  I financed my current motorhome through my credit union and was able to pay the loan off early with no penalty.  I don't care what kind of discount or super-duper financing deal a car or an RV dealer tries to tempt me with, I don't trust them.  This makes them very  unhappy, but if they don't like it, I will go elsewhere. 

And before I take delivery of anything, I insist that they take off any advertising stickers.  

2 hours ago, Solo18 said:

And before I take delivery of anything, I insist that they take off any advertising stickers.  

I had a dealer who was reluctant to remove their advertising from my vehicle so I simply announced I would have my attorney send them a contract for them to pay for me adverting for them. Lo and behold, their ads went away.

Linda

ps. I didn't have an attorney. 

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I also had a car dealer overcharge me for a car, in spite of my having paperwork for a special price through a project I was working on with General Motors Headquarters.  It was only about $300, but I sent a letter to my corporate client at GM explaining what had happened and asking for her advice on how to resolve the matter. (This was after trying to get the salesman to refund the overcharge.)   I cc'd the owner of the dealership.  It took about three days to get a phone call with an apology and a check in the mail for the amount I had been overcharged!  Amazing.  

And when I have bought a vehicle, I warn the salesman that I will not take delivery if the vehicle has an advertising sticker on it.  Ditto for those license plates with the dealer's name.  If it already has a sticker, I will want to inspect that removing it has not caused any damage to the paint.  No signature until I inspect.  I am not popular.