New submission for truck services

rickeieio

Today we had an unscheduled stop, in front of a campground office.  We'd traveled from Bandera, TX to Del Rio, TX and all went well.  After we checked in, I went to start the truck and just got a CLICK.  Then all dash lights went out and no beep, no gear indicator, nada.  I'd replaced the 11 y/o batteries about a month ago, so checked all the terminals.  A couple were border line loose, so I snugged everything up and tried again.  Same results.   The park owner came over and asked why the box on the back of the cab had two red lights.   Hmm, so the whole system isn't dead.  Okay, on to the solenoid lug.

Well, ol' Round Boy couldn't wiggle in far enough to reach the lug.  Campground owner tried, said it was tight.  I doubted him, but who knows?  So, we called Rio Trailer Service and Towing.  A mechanic was to us in about 15 minutes, spent another 30 minutes probing and checking, tightened up the solenoid lug and said 'start it up".  By golly, it spun over like never before.

The bill was $160, which I felt was plenty cheap, so I tipped him an extra $25.  So, I nominate Rio Trailer Supply and Towing as someone to call if you're having truck issues near Del Rio, TX.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Where and what is the “solenoid lug”?  Gonna show my non- mechanical skills.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The starter has this thing on top of it with a bunch of wires and stuff held on by a big nut.  A real mechanical screw fastener type nut, not the nut in the drivers' seat.

The main hot lead from the battery goes first to the solenoid, then when energized, it passes through to the starter motor itself.  It's pretty common for that post on the solenoid, which has quite a few wires connected, to loosen, especially if subjected to big temperature swings.  Another reason to check things and make sure they're clean and tight, providing you can actually reach them.  In my case, I can't get under the side fairings unless I drive the truck up on a board, and I have the beginnings of a bad shoulder keeping me from getting up over the front axle to reach back that far.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I know the feeling.  It is like when you load your boat up with the cooler and picnic basket and motor up the little creek on your way to your favorite fishing spot. Suddenly your motor stops and you get that sinking feeling when you realize you left the paddles five miles back on the dock!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Vern, I just did that a few years ago...... uh, 2010. Time flies.

Actually, it was done two years ago in Weatherford, OK when I had this starter installed.  But then again, i had just cleaned all the battery cables just a few weeks ago when I put in the new batteries, and a couple of them were black.

I have an aerosol can of Fluid Film on board.  Perhaps a spritz of that would be prudent.  Good stuff.  I also have Corrosion X, which my brother swears by.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Vern, I just did that a few years ago...... uh, 2010. Time flies.

Actually, it was done two years ago in Weatherford, OK when I had this starter installed.  But then again, i had just cleaned all the battery cables just a few weeks ago when I put in the new batteries, and a couple of them were black.

I have an aerosol can of Fluid Film on board.  Perhaps a spritz of that would be prudent.  Good stuff.  I also have Corrosion X, which my brother swears by.

Is this a Midwest thing?  I had the same problem with my truck on it's maiden voyage many years ago. 

My younger brother (and seasoned over the road truck driver), delivered my truck to me in South Florida from Iowa. It was purchased in Wisconsin earlier in the year and had some things done to it at a shop in Iowa before I thought it was ready to hook up to my trailer. ( There is a longer story but not today.)

All was good until we stopped in Chattanooga, TN and parked the truck and trailer in a Truck stop and hopped in the F350 to go to breakfast. Came back and the truck wouldn't start. Voltage showed 12 volts but only a click was heard when the key was turned. Sure enough the nut to the solenoid was a bit loose and with a bit of fineness I was able to get my socket to it and tighten it up. Though that would be the end of it, since the truck started right up. 

Not so. It happened again and again and then oops, my fineness wasn't so fine, and I thought tighter would be better and SNAP. Thankfully it was in Iowa and I knew someone who could come and help me fix, but it was on a gravel overflow lot in a small State Park. Thankfully there was some shade, but it was still hot and humid. I should have taken the truck to the mechanic as soon as I got to town, but wanted to spend time with my youngest "camping" at the Lake. 

Hopefully you will have a person with fineness add a lock washer and torque it so it won't loosen again. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.