What is this device?

LarryN

It is some sort of cell range extender? It was on the shoreline of my favorite spot on earth, Merritt Reservoir in the Sandhills of Nebraska. Dying to find out, does not look like anything I have seen. It was on a "painters pole" up about 6'. If it was a cellular antenna, it was pointed in a weird direction at least for Verizon and ATT. I map out the towers when I am out in the sticks. I did not check T Mobile which I am increasing interested in trying. Thanks in advance.

DSCN0598 (2).JPG

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

Who says it is even wifi related? It could just as easy be a device to measure the water level.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

22 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Any ham radio operators near you?

Ken

As a ham radio operator myself, I think I would have picked up on device as a ham antenna but I do find myself falling behind the power curve with new antennae on the market. It looked to be directional. Don't think it was a water level device as it was not in the water. It had coax going into a trailer but nobody was home. 

We could get no cell signal at this lake with ATT or Verizon. My apps had the towers east and south of this location. This thing was pointed north west, btw. Maybe Sprint/T Mobile.

The mystery continues. Thanks for the replies.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

1 hour ago, LarryN said:

It had coax going into a trailer but nobody was home. 

Well that does blow a large hole in my theory :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 2/1/2021 at 7:03 PM, LarryN said:

It had coax going into a trailer but nobody was home. 

Ahaaa........ not a real good picture but there is "something" on the top of the pole.  Looks like a rectangular box about 2"x2".  My take is the guy was using it for a Sirrius/XM satellite antenna.  I do something very similar for radio in our trailer.  I often need to relocate my antenna due to overhead obstructions.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

12 hours ago, RandyA said:

My take is the guy was using it for a Sirrius/XM satellite antenna. 

That's an interesting take and quite possibly correct. I have never run into a problem with Sirius/XM being obstructed overhead (TV yes) but without seeing what else is around it could make sense.

EDIT: Of course, if LarryN would hunt down the RV owner and just ask the mystery would he solved. 🤣

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg