Another short trip, getting used to all sounds and mechanics of truck again

Vegas Teacher

Hello All!

I did another short trip (80 miles one direction) over to the Kingdom of Pahrump ruled by Dolly Trolly. If you don't know Dolly Trolly you are missing out he is a great person!

Me and the "D.W." love this trip. It is a very easy drive. 4 lane most of the way, two lane for about 30 miles. It has a lot of different situations in a short amount of time. When I go over I like to get gas at a small gas station to the West of Simpkins Park on Simkins street. The Diesel pump is its own little Island and It does not have a canopy over it. So I don't have to worry about the height of my truck, yep one less thing to worry about!! The last time I got Diesel in Pahrump it was 2.25 a gallon. I filled up both tanks. I am going to keep filling them each time I go over.

I am a board member of Red Ridge Schutzhund Club. We practice in Pahrump once a month. The last practice was at Petrack Park, where they have a soccer field, baseball / softball fields and a Rodeo Arena. I parked the semi and we had practice Friday night from 6:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. and we stayed in the 780 all night right there at the park. I did not have to check into a motel or worry about Covid this way for me or my wife. We had a "Rough Tough Kennel" behind the drivers seat for one German Shepherd and the other roamed free. I slept on the top bunk, the D.W. slept on the bottom bunk and cuddled with her German Shepherd, Vigo. It got down to 47 that night. However I had heated up the sleeper and we each had a sleeping back rated for 30 degrees and a sleeping back liner all zipped together and a blanket over the top of the bag. We were warm all night in the truck. It really held its heat extremely well. We took water to brush our teeth and made it pretty simple. We had dry foods like cereal bars for breakfast. It was a great experience. The truck ran great. I have brand new Head lights I ordered from Raney's truck parts, I believe they are out of Florida. Even on low beams they shine for miles.

So here is what I need in the cab: The cabinet behind the drivers seat was removed by the last owner with a reciprocating saw, he left the top cubby but it does not look good so I need to get a replacement for the whole thing. I also need a ladder, right now I have a 3 step, step ladder but not the best design for the semi. It works but takes up a lot of space. 

So here is a picture of me and Risk taken by the D.W. we are headed north on 95. The Kyle canyon exit for highway 157 is south of me, we are coming up on Exit 93 for Snow Mountain and we are about 10 mile away from exit 156 Lee Canyon up to the ski resort on Mt. Charleston. Oldriska "Risk" Z Weberhaus is czeck line bread german shepherd.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/eAPCVXw.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/eAPCVXwl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL] [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/m3zZPvb.png[/IMG][URL=https://i.imgur.com/eAPCVXw.jpg "target=new"]Click For Full-Size Image[/URL].

Sounds like a fun trip. Good to hear the pleasure back in your posts. These are really multipurpose vehicles, and they can be personalized any one of hundreds of different ways. Put a feeler out with your local wrecking yard for the ladder and cabinet.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Sounds like a fun trip. Good to hear the pleasure back in your posts. These are really multipurpose vehicles, and they can be personalized any one of hundreds of different ways. Put a feeler out with your local wrecking yard for the ladder and cabinet.

That is for sure! I am having fun with the truck instead of feeling overwhelmed. My all time low point was November of 2019 with the T.E.C. Volvo / Mac dealership here in Vegas. It took me two days to figure out how to tell my wife we would need to invest 15 - 30K for parts and labor back into the semi. However the one good thing that came out of Covid was not doing anything fun, saving money  and using it to fix up the Semi. Steve, at True Blue Diesel Repair, here in Vegas took me under his wing and fixed up my truck. The Volvo is still a diamond in the rough but I know what it will be and I have regained site of that. 

Pam (D.W.) and I are having so much fun with it now. We don't have a fancy bed on it yet. We don't have a 45 foot 5th wheel yet but I know those are future purchases down the road. We are using the Semi like an R.V. now. Pam, as I said in a previous message got in the driver's seat and took it for a spin on one of our outings. Her comment was it isn't as big as it looks when you get behind the wheel. I was happy to see her confidence grow.

This summer I plan to drive it back to Kansas. Will I have trouble on the highway, driving Bobtail, at the state line weigh stations or check points if I don't have a CDL or any other licenses than my class "C" regular drivers license?

The other fun thing, as pictured, is our dogs. We have 3, but only two have gone in the semi so far. The oldest German Shepherd has Back Bone issues, Plates have joined it hurts him to walk and climb. So when one dog is our the other is in the kennel behind my seat. Risk love to look out the front window to see what is coming up. Vigo, my wife's German Shepherd curls up on the lower bed and goes to sleep. But when I say do you want to go to the Semi, both dogs know the word semi and start jumping up and down. It makes me laugh and happy to see the enthusiasm. If I say car they simply walk over to the car but no jumping LOL.

Later,

Cory O

4 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I hope this one works, however it looks like Pat and Pete figured it out for me.

Just copy & paste the BBcode link from your image on Imgur . Then remove the bracketed tags  ( [img] and [/img] ) .

Then hit enter . 

There is another way , but more 'complicated' . 

Goes around , comes around .

Driving bobtail and as long as you are not commercial and you are registered as an RV you will not need to stop at scales unless it says all RVs too. We drove ours from SC to AZ to pick up our new trailer with the smart car on our bed.

We had to use some wood ramps to help one of our grand dogs up into the semi to go for a ride. Worked good with the wife helping him, probably needed to be a bit wider.

Have fun! 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

13 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Driving bobtail and as long as you are not commercial and you are registered as an RV you will not need to stop at scales unless it says all RVs too. We drove ours from SC to AZ to pick up our new trailer with the smart car on our bed.

We had to use some wood ramps to help one of our grand dogs up into the semi to go for a ride. Worked good with the wife helping him, probably needed to be a bit wider.

Have fun! 

In Nevada I have the choice of Commercial or private truck. I am registered as a private truck. I tried for the R.V. designation without success. I even told the person they could come out and see the portapotty and microwave, they laughed at me.

So maybe the thing to do is to get a CDL this summer instead of taking a long road trip back to Kansas.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana