Towing behind class "C"

mark1958

Looking for opinions for towing a vehicle on all 4 tires or using a tow dolly with the front wheels up. Our vehicle weighs about 4400 lbs. and cannot be towed on all 4 tires. looking at used smaller car weighing about 3000 lbs. to tow on all 4 tires. any opinion on which would be the best way to go would be appreciated.

You need to start by taking the class C to a scale and getting the actual weight loaded for travel and then do the same for the vehicle you want to tow. Add the two together and compare that total to the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) for your RV. If it exceeds that limit, you should go no farther. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Most people prefer four down, if possible, rather than have to figure out where to stow a dolly in a campground. Plus, as I understand it, hitching in the rain on a dolly is more irritating than hooking up a four-wheel down hitch. I have never used a dolly but I also never had to kneel on wet ground to hook up our tow bar which I have seen people do to chain a car to a dolly. Neither of which addresses your concern about a dolly following you but are things you might want to consider as part of your decision.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, mark1958 said:

makes sense, thanks

Having been out since 2006, please do yourself a favor and find a car to tow 4 down.  If you can go with a 2 wheel dolly, that would be easier to find a space for (most have them under the rear while parked) than a trailer.   But again, 4 down towing is so much easier.  We can hook/unhook in less than 5 minutes and while do have to bend down, never have had to get on knees.   Get an all-terrain unit and towing 4 down is a piece of cake.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, mark1958 said:

weight is not a problem. seeing if towing on 2 wheels or 4 wheels makes a big difference

It total combined weight is a major issue for a lot of reasons. Firs of all is safety as you need to be able to control the weight being towed when travel is less than ideal or stop it in an emergency. In addition, your RV chassis was only designed to move a rated amount of weight and you will put needless wear and tear on it if overloaded and it will likely be less reliable and require more maintenance. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When I say weight is not a issue, I mean that I know the RV and the vehicle I will be pulling are under the legal weight for the combination of both vehicles. I have put my 5er, ram 2500, and personal car on cat scales. I would never put myself or anyone else in danger by being overloaded. I still have my 5er as of now. just trying to get opinions before i pull the trigger on the class "c".

Long overhang-weight of tow car?  You need to decide the what before I can comment on if it a good choice. I can say I drove a Snap on tool truck for 13 years. Being fully loaded for every mile driven your cost of repair will be high. Things wear out faster when fully loaded.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

56 minutes ago, mark1958 said:

thanks for the replies, I am looking for a small older vehicle that weighs no more than 3000 lbs. that can be towed on all 4 wheels. 

Very good idea.  Trust us, you won't regret going that way.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Remember to make sure your tow bars are "all terrain"  or something to that effect, makes it make easier to hookup where you don't have a lot of room to get perfectly straight, or unhook if you find you need to because of a narrow, winding road.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834