Inverter/charger

Danandfreda

We have a new fifth wheel with a magnum msh 3012m hybrid inverter/charger. The first couple of days the charger worked and everything was fine line 1&2 both have 122 volts  coming in and no errors. We ran off the batteries Friday night to try them out (6-100 a/h battle born lithium) with gas furnaces on. Woke up Saturday to no 12volt or 110. Had to put a charger on batteries and reset the inverter then the charger started and thought it was ok until we get it looked at Monday. Charger worked until early afternoon then it shut off and went to inverting. When I shut the inverter off to run off shore power it doesn’t let it pass through the inverter.  Now when the inverter is on it is running power to the dishwasher that is not wired to the inverter sub panel. If I turn of power to the inverter and reset it will charge for a couple minutes then shut off. Thinking a bad inverter. Anybody have similar problems?

I once had a floating neutral those here called it. The problem was intermittent. Turned out there was  a shorting taking place in my electric cord reel which would show up some times and not others. Obviously something should not run that is not intended to be in the circuit. The 3012 hybrid qualifies electricity before it lets it through. That is what is happening during the delay before you plug to shore power and it kicks on. If it sees something it doesn’t like it will not allow the charger to operate and it will not pass through current. So yes the 3012 could have a problem in doing checks OR there could be a problem. The first thing I would do is get a multimeter and check the shore power and the power at your main box. I would switch sources of shore power since that could be causing the issue. If the problem is still there you will know the problem is from your electrical cord in. I don’t know enough to be of more help. You may be able to find my old posts when people were guiding me through this problem. Try my user name and neutral. Hopefully, John, Kirk and the other experts will be by to give you some of their expertise.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Start at the pedestal, then work your way up the chain. Check output of the cord, pull the power inlet and test there. If you still have issues, time to dig deeper. You may have a transfer switch to find, you definitely have connections inside the Magnum, as well as the panel. The dishwasher is a troubling symptom.

ETA: when I say check for power, I mean check all the leads. You want to see 120v from both hots to neutral, as well as ground. You also want 240 between the hots.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ok will check the progressive industries power monitor is reading  121-123 on L1&2 no errors. The washer and dryer combo is not supposed to work on inverter either but tried today and it worked. Didn’t pull any amps on the inverter readout but when it started drying it pulled 9 amps on the power monitor which means it is bypassing the inverter. Another thing we noticed is that the lights flicker just a little when the water pump is on. Thanks Darryl 

More connections to check, then. Hit the output of the Progressive, it seems to be eliminating the connections between it and the pedestal. While metering, give each wire a tug, too. Of course, tug after Freda turns the power off.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Yes, is this an outdoor or indoor progressive? Next stop would probably the transfer switch (if you have generator or are generator ready) a frequent source of problems, and then to the main ac panel. All the wires in your ac panel need to be confirmed as tight. I also am still really stumped on the washer dryer. Do you know the location of the washer dryer breaker in the subpanel?

Dave and Lana Hasper

I am also curious how 6 Battleborns ran down overnight. That is 600 amps. Have you checked the voltage on them? Do you have a separate charger or were you able to get the Magnum Charger to work? 

Edited by Daveh

Dave and Lana Hasper

36 minutes ago, Daveh said:

I am also curious how 6 Battleborns ran down overnight. That is 600 amps. Have you checked the voltage on them? Do you have a separate charger or were you able to get the Magnum Charger to work? 

I was biting my tongue on that bit. Was going to get power back, first. I doubt it got that cold in Kansas, that the furnace ran all night.

Please e-mail us here.

Used a separate charger to get it going then it started charging. It’s in the upper 20’s at night the they have the basement plenty warm. The remote readout said dead batteries. I didn’t think it would run down that fast either. The power coming in at the post is right on with the power monitor. New horizon is coming to look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help. 

26 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Not sure if your PI tells you this, but for future problems, install a Victron battery monitor (or eq) so you know exactly what's going in an coming out.

Yes with the system he is describing I would be surprised if he doesn't have that but, if not, he definitely should. Then he would know the exact amp hour situation on the Battleborns. The more I think about this the more I suspect bad settings on the Magnum and then the BMSs on the Battleborns shutting down which then shut down the 12 volt system which in turn shut down the Magnum. I think the Battleborns may have been doing much more than working that single night. The Magnum needs to see batteries. I suspect the washer-dryer issue is a red herring and due to a misunderstanding. We all know how hard it is to figure out a brand new unit. Anyway, it could be a multitude f things so I hope he solves the mystery for us.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Going on 5 years of these settings with our Magnum 3012 inverter and me-arc 50 using these settings with 500ah GBS & 1,280w solar. System has been on 24 /7/ 365 with over 1,640 cycles on batteries of 35-45% DOD in various psoc. Boondocking 98% of the time.

Favorites (can be changed to personal taste)
F1_ Bat amps - PT  ADC (present be produced)
F2_ AC output - 121 VAC/ 60.0 HZ
F3_ AC input - Amps= 30a (adjustable with incoming power)
F4_ Load amps - 0 amps AC
F5_ AC Amps - -2 amps

CRTL
01_ AC in Control - Auto Connect
02_ CHG Control - Multi Stage
03_ Gen Control - Off
04_ PT Control
• a_ PT Chg CTRL 1 - Multi Stage
• b_ PT Aux Relay - Control= Disengage
• c_ PT Alarm - Control= Off
• d_ PT Mppt Ctrl - 15 min sweep

METER
Inverting_ DC (present time reading)

01 DC Meters
• a_ DC volts (present time reading)
• b_ DC amps (present time reading)
02 AC Meters
• a_ AC output (present time reading)
• b_ Load amps (present time reading)
• c_ Input AC (present time reading)
• d_ Inv/ Chg amps (present time reading)
• e_ Input AC1 (present time reading)

SET UP
01 System Set up
• a_ Set Clock
• b_ Screen set up (press select) _ Brightness (50%),  Contrast (100%),  Power save (1 min)
• c_ Temp select - Fahrenheit
• d_ Max charge- Amps 200 adc
• e _ Link PT Chg - setting - yes

02 Inverting/ Inverter set up
• a_ Search watts - Off
• b_ LBCO setting - 12.0 vdc
• c_ AC In time - 6:00am-6:00pm
• d_ AC In VDC - 11.O-14.1 vdc
• e_ AC In SOC - 80%-100% SOC
• f_ Power up - Always off

SET UP INVERTING
03 Charger Set up
• a_ AC Input - Amp= (can be set to available shore power/ generator incoming power)
• b_ VAC Drop out - 80 VAC
• c_ Battery type - Custom (with in here absorb voltage can be adjusted)
• d_ Absorb done - Time= 0.1 hrs (minimum, can't be turned off)
• e_ Max charge - Rate= 100%
• f_ Max charge - Time= 12.0 hrs
• g_ Final charge - Stage= Multi
• h_ EQ Reminder - Days= Off

04 AGS SET UP - No AGS Present
05 BMK SET UP - No BMK Present

06 PT SET UP (Magnum pt controller follows Magnum inverter settings)
• a_ Battery Type - Linked
• b_ Absorb Done - Linked
• c_ Maxed Charge - Rate= 100%
• d_ Max Charge - Time= 12.0 hrs
• e_ Bulk Start (press select)
- select Bulk Start, Daily / sun up= yes
- set Bulk Start, Volts= 12.0
- set Bulk Start, SOC= 80%
• f _ PT Aux Relay - 10.0 to 14.0
• g_ PT Alarm - 10.0 to 14.0
• h_ Power Save PT - Display= 15 min

TECH
01 Temperatures (press select_ scroll)
- Inv BTS (present time reading)
- Inv TFMER  (present time reading)
- Inv FET'S  (present time reading)
- AGS Sensor 0ff
- ACLD Temp 32f
- PT BTS  (present time reading)
- PT Inductor  (present time reading)

02 Versions (press select_ scroll)
- Inverter: 1.2
- Remote: 4.0
- AGS: 0.0
- Router: 0.0
- ACLD: 0.0
- PT: 1.1

03 Inv Model - MSH3012H (3000w hybrid)
04 Fault History
05 Set up pin
06 Ext Control - No ext control
07 Show all - Menus= No
08 Load Defaults

The following parameters are for programming the ME-ARC Version 4 advanced control.

Setup 02B LBCO Setting: Volts = 12.0
Setup 03C Battery Type: = Custom
Set Absorb Volts: = 14.1v or  14.2v (depending on season)
Set Float Volts: = 13.6
Set EQ Volts: = 14.1
Set EQ Done Time: = 0.1
Setup 03D Absorb Done Time: = 0.1 (minimum)
Setup 03E Max Charge Rate: = 100%
Setup 03G Final Charge Stage: = Float

With Battleborn you would probably have to raise absorb higher (14.4 -14.6) for their cell balancing.

Edited by Itinerant1

2016 F350 DRW Supercab XLT 4x4 6.7 3:73LS 
2010 Carriage Cameo 34CK3   1,280 watt solar