Comcast data cap and price increases

According to latest news from The Verge Comcast will be limiting home data cap to 1.2TB next year in a dozen states. They will also be raising cable and internet prices in January 2021 according to Cordcutters. Please verify this info for yourselves. Bad News Bear.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/comcast-will-raise-cable-internet-prices-in-january-2021/

You should already have 1.2tb cap. The first month you go over is free. It will restart the free month after 12 months unless you go over again in less than 12 months. It will cost you $10 per every 50gb up to $100 a month. You can add unlimited to your plan for $30 if you own your own equipment or for a total of $35 if you rent their equipment, this includes the equipment fee.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

1 hour ago, Ronbo said:

You should already have 1.2tb cap. The first month you go over is free. It will restart the free month after 12 months unless you go over again in less than 12 months. It will cost you $10 per every 50gb up to $100 a month. You can add unlimited to your plan for $30 if you own your own equipment or for a total of $35 if you rent their equipment, this includes the equipment fee.

Thanks for additional info Ronbo.  Latest Update according to cordcutters website Comcast will now include all 39 states in the 1.2TB data cap.  These news outlets are treating the 1.2TB cap as a new news item from Comcast.  Go figure.  I have spectum internet and not sure if we have a data cap but will check this out soon.

I asked Dave about this and he said we don't come anywhere near using a terrabyte . So you might want to check on your own usage before you get too upset about this.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

I asked Dave about this and he said we don't come anywhere near using a terrabyte . So you might want to check on your own usage before you get too upset about this.

Linda Sand

Not upset or concerned just trying to inform other campers of latest internet news.  I have heard many complaints about Comcast and other providers on this forum.  So far Spectrum internet and my At&T mobley have been fairly priced for my use.  Happy Camper.

Comcast is known to be the worst.  They were caught providing different customer service to politicians in the Washington DC area than to normal folks.  I know they were a pain to deal with when my mother had them.  

Some households have multiple people in them with multiple 4K HDTVs, streaming shows and doing video chats (Zoom, etc.) for work and school.  For those households, 1.2TB might not be enough..   I know RVers, mostly working RVers and/or with home schooled kids, using 100s of GB on cellular plans.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I wonder if they are implementing this because they are moving towards their limit on data handling ability in that area. Try to buy themselves more time to build up their bandwidth while incidentally making a few more dollars.  With the population density in that area, that would be my guess.

Edited by CFerguson

Unfortunately Comcast is also xfinity and a few others. We purchased our s&b in May. Since Verizon does not have the best signal here we went with xfinity of tv and internet. Internet speeds is up to 350 mb/sec. this is after a router update. I have no issues with their service and the tech I talked to last week about upgrading my service was very honest. He told me not to bother as I wouldn’t gain anything. With tv on mostly all day ( we have a 2 yo granddaughter living with us), SIL doing collage courses on line, daughter doing online medical clinic 2 days per week and me on the internet a lot, we haven’t even gotten close to our limit. The closest was a little over 800 in one month. 1.2 tub is a lot for a residential user. You would have a hard time using that consistently unless you were running an internet related business. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime