Shared Ownership

Jb5455

Hi all,

I live in upstate New York and recently started a moderately successful pool company. It’s seasonal work so it’s basically 6months on and 6months off. I’ve been tossing around the idea of purchasing a motor home to spend the off season setting up camp at a new destination each year.

While the 6months off is nice the other 6 are so packed it leaves me with no chance of even using the RV. Time share clubs won’t give me the duration and mileage I’m seeking. So, I was wondering if joint/dual ownership opportunities exist. Since I’d be using it during the winter I feel I’d be the ideal candidate for someone who is looking to supplement the cost of ownership. 

I’m an avid camper but know nothing about the RV world. Any insight or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

People share airplanes and boats so I would assume it is possible but I think it would be very difficult. I think I remember some sit-com shows that dealt with the issues in comical way but while enjoying the show I really thought how it could be anything but funny in real life.

I am wondering if you wouldn't be wiser to think in terms of renting in different locations for the season because the cost to buy and maintain a motorhome are pretty steep. I have read of RV time-share arrangements but only for some of the most expensive RVs. There are also several companies that will rent out a privately owned RV for the owners when not in use and that is probably more practical for your situation, but even then there are negative issues. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When using those services (ie Outdoorsey) the quote is around $20-$30k for a 3 month rental. It’s basically the single night price with a minimal discount if any. Do you think a person who lives in a cold weather area would discount the rental for a period of time where I’m sure they seldom have any other interested parties? Or, are there a lot of folks on the market looking for long term winter rentals that they wouldn’t have to offer a discount? Also, when I say discount I’m thinking 5k for three months. I feel like it would be a win-win but Since I’m new I’m not sure if my point of view is ridiculous. 

It seems to me the season during which you are most likely to want to use your RV would be the same season someone else would like to rent it. Unless that potential renter is coming from some other region.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Do you have family nearby? Perhaps a brother or sister could go in with you and use the RV during the summer months while you are busy working. During the winter months when you are not working you could head south, like a snowbird, in the motorhome. This way your brother or sister will not need to winterize the motorhome, get to use it in the summer and you have use of it during the winter. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I've pondered a similar question...(my business is "4 months on...8 months off".) My RV sits mostly unused for at least 1/2 the year.

I just put the RV away and don't plan to use it until September 2021.

I store it inside, so there is very little "wear and tear" during periods of non or light use. I do a few short trips in the summer to keep things running smooth.

My advice is to try to find a rig (maybe used) that you can fit into your budget and store inside as I do when not used and foget about the joint ownership possibliity.

RVs are such a personal item (mattresses etc), high maintenance, quirky. Not an easy item to share.

In the pool business, you presumably already have a truck that could be the tow vehicle. A modest trailer is not that big of an investment and when well taken care of, could last you 15 years.

1 hour ago, ToddF said:

RVs are such a personal item (mattresses etc), high maintenance, quirky. Not an easy item to share.

I feel that same way. We wouldn't want to share our RV, at least not unless it was a family member of very close friend. Any motorized RV will cost much more than a trailer of some type. You might even want to rent an RV for a trip before you spend the money since it is a different lifestyle. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A friend entered into one of these joint-ownershop arrangements for an older MH, I think with 5 other people. After about 3 years my friend was looking for the exit. Each year each joint-owner was supposed to deposit an amount into a maintenance fund and when the present user discovered something needed replacing or worked on, it was his job to see it done.

You can guess the outcome, human nature being what it is, when the present user discovered something of that nature he ignored it; leaving it for the next user to fix.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A friends of mine wrote a contract for his son who bought a house with two friends. I was surprised at all the things he thought to include in that contract. It can be done but it requires a lot of attention to detail. (Like substantial penalties for leaving a problem for the next user to fix.)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 9 months later...

Here in Arizona this summer we have seen several people who rent an RV lot for the season and have a local RV dealer, or used consignment dealer deliver a 5 th wheel to the lot and set it up. One couple had no previous experience with RV’s and love the experience. An inexpensive way to spend a season in an area, and you don’t even have to drive or tow the vehicle.