Generator Help Please

SuiteSuccess

My good friend GeorgiaHybrid has given me some helpful hints but seeking any other thoughts.  We just returned from a long trip and prior to that trip I tested the generator with (Onan 5500 Propane) under load of a single AC and all worked perfectly.  Yesterday when unloading the trailer needed 110v for short period to activate powered recliners for cleaning purposes.  Only active load was fridge and battery charger.  Generator kicked in, then after few minutes kicked out supplying power. Gen did NOT shut down.  Shut off Gen waited couple of minutes and re-tried.  Same event.  I noticed I initial draw on leg 1 was 15 amps which I thought might be charger and fridge combined.  GeorgiaHybrid thought transfer switch may be the issue so I need to test so would appreciate any suggestions/details on testing the switch or other things to look for.  I am not an electrical guy but do know how to not kill my self with testing.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

This happened to us during a power outage in the city this last summer.  A good friend Bill, pointed out that there is a sticker that says something like Check Oil Level Every Time Before Starting!  OK!!!! So with barely a 1/2 qt. added, it started and stayed running!   Don't you just love sensors!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

to check the transfer switch, take the top off of the switch and there will be two relays in there, they should be marked to which one has shore power and gen power, on each relay the outer terminals will be line voltage and the center lug will be neutral, start the gen and test that you have 120 on each leg, if not your problem is at the genset

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

Rocky,

Going over shortly to start search.  My Gen never quit running.

Quickthrotl,

Thank you for the advice.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Update:

Generator full of oil.  Breakers not tripped and all connections tight.  Transfer switch apparently buried in the bay behind Cheap Heat and myriad of duct hoses so gonna have to empty basement and remove several hose connections.  Of note, I started the Gen and it worked normally,  supplied power flawlessly for 15 mins without cutting it off.  Think it may be transfer switch as suggested.  Will work on that this week.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

Did you get a Non-Contact Voltage tester that I demo-ed at the ECR.  Easy to test where power is being lost without opening anything. Just touch the cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-NCVT-2-Standard-Protection/dp/B004FXJOQO/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2AEZSQZ1LAC7W&dchild=1&keywords=ncv+voltage+tester&qid=1604864011&sprefix=ncv+voltage%2Caps%2C262&sr=8-11

If you happen to have bought the DC Clamp-on meter I also demo-ed, it has a NCVT function.

Edited by NeverEasy
Added info

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

52 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Carl,

Did you get a Non-Contact Voltage tester that I demo-ed at the ECR.  Easy to test where power is being lost without opening anything. Just touch the cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-NCVT-2-Standard-Protection/dp/B004FXJOQO/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2AEZSQZ1LAC7W&dchild=1&keywords=ncv+voltage+tester&qid=1604864011&sprefix=ncv+voltage%2Caps%2C262&sr=8-11

If you happen to have bought the DC Clamp-on meter I also demo-ed, it has a NCVT function.

Yes, have the non contact voltage tester.  Don’t have the clamp on.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

Can we assume no gen faults showing?

No Gen faults showing .  I assume you mean on power management system?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

The people over here on this forum are very helpful with onan generators.

onan-generators.1

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forums/onan-generators.1/

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

14 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

The people over here on this forum are very helpful with onan generators.

onan-generators.1

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forums/onan-generators.1/

Thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

8 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl, if nothing else, I can bring up my amp clamp and meters and check everything out in a week or so. Or we can have a field trip somewhere and have fun as well

Road trip, road trip😊!

2017 DRV 39DBRS3