Can we Stop the Maddness??

History repeats itself.  Back during the 70s energy crisis the argument that defeated the adoption of year round Daylight Savings Time was the danger of sending children off to school in the dark if sunrise was delayed by an hour during winter's shorter days.  Funny how no one's bringing that up now, has the pandemic and Zoom classes made people forget about children walking to school or waiting for the bus?

Edited by Lou Schneider

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

History repeats itself.  Back during the 70s energy crisis the argument that defeated the adoption of year round Daylight Savings Time was the danger of sending children off to school in the dark if sunrise was delayed by an hour during winter's shorter days.  Funny how no one's bringing that up now, has the pandemic and Zoom classes made people forget about children walking to school or waiting for the bus?

Actually, some folks are bringing it up so passing it in the house might face a fight. For example, here is a recent article from the Smithsonian that calls for an end to DST only maintaining standard time. The bill just passed would have us on DST permanently. Due to technology I am not sure anyone can make a good argument one way or the other as "damage" is caused by the changes back and forth.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

In my youth money was a priority to achieve my specific long term goals of independence and being able to care for my family.  In the late 80’s I went to seminar called “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” don’t remember 6 of them very well but one made an impression regarding the $value of one’s time and I will paraphrase:  We have our “circle of concern” and more importantly our “circle of influence”. Time is a finite resource, don’t just “kill time”, get the best return on it by $spending your time on what you can influence;  worry and concern earn you nothing.  Influential actions have tangible returns and concerns are a loss showing nothing for the effort.

IMHO The government is too big to begin with and there has been a trend over my life time to forgo personal reliance and delegate individual responsibility to the government. The budget is too big to begin with and no one group can handle all the finances of 330 million people.  We voted those individuals into office possibly with the lure/carrot of “free” this or/and “easy” that. Maybe we have learned the lesson, that only the individual cares enough to make the best daily and personal decisions through their own due diligence for themselves and not a group of people 1000’s of miles away that have little or nothing in common with our daily experiences, and more voters will participate in all upcoming elections.  I am looking forward to the time when the majority of conversations will not be dominated by politics/government further separating humankind which seems to have has forgotten that it has more in common than it doesn’t.

Now in my senior years my priority is time and to get the best value for my time that I have left on this earth.  I am grateful for any government movement forward and though not a priority for some if we can get daylight saving time changed it will affect many and may influence other changes? All we need is momentum and maybe the pendulum will start heading the other direction.

Since eliminating daylight saving time would seem to not negatively affect ones reelection potential as much as the “budget” does it may just happen?

PS for those interested in the money
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/daylight-saving-time-costs-us-211545214.html
"a 2008 report by Chmura Economics & Analytics Independent Institute claimed the annual costs for changing clocks twice a year could be as high as $1.7 billion".

I must admit that I do prefer the daylight saving time with the later sunsets, even today. I suspect that most of us would prefer not to change time twice each year, no matter which version they were to go with. I was just reading more about the history of the time change and found this very interesting article on History.com.

8 Things You May Not Know About Daylight Saving Time

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI