Can we Stop the Maddness??

I wonder who says we have to observe time zones at all? 

In 1878, Sir Sandford Fleming (1827–1915) developed the system of worldwide time zones that we still use today. He proposed that the world be divided into 24 time zones, each spaced 15º (fifteen degrees) of longitude apart (like 24 sections of an orange).

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SOURCE:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Time_Act

The Uniform Time Act of 1966, Pub.L. 89–387, 80 Stat. 107, enacted April 13, 1966, was a Law of the United States to "promote the adoption and observance of uniform time within the standard time zones" prescribed by the Standard Time Act of 1918. Its intended effect was to simplify the official pattern of where and when daylight saving time (DST) is applied within the U.S. Prior to this law, each state had its own scheme for when DST would begin and end, and in some cases, which parts of the state should use it.[1]

History

The law, as originally written, required states that observe DST to begin it at 2 a.m. local time on the last Sunday in April, and to end it at 2 a.m. local time on the last Sunday in October and explicitly preempted all state laws related to daylight saving time per the weights and measures power given to Congress in Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution. The law was later amended in 1986 to move the uniform start date for DST to the first Sunday in April (effective 1987). The latest amendment, part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, extends DST by four or five weeks by moving the uniform start date for DST to the second Sunday in March and the end date to the first Sunday in November (effective 2007). The Department of Energy was required to report to Congress the impact of the DST extension by December 1, 2007 (nine months after the statute took effect). The report, released in October 2008, reported a nationwide electricity savings of 0.03% for the year of 2007.[2]

Specifications

The law does not require that all states observe DST. Individual states may exempt themselves from DST and observe standard time year-round by passing a state law, provided:

• if the state lies entirely within a time zone, that the exemption apply statewide, or
  • if the state is divided by a time zone boundary, that the exemption apply statewide or to the entire part of the state on one side of the boundary.

• 1 month later...

as a truck driver (mostly in ca) time changes are just a annoyance. as i work a 24 hr clock. show up at X time. be "there" by X time.

night (dark) day (light), whats the diff? but i would like it were the government just stopped playing games and obeyed the rules.

i have never understood changing the clocks, i once was told it gave farmers more day light to work in? how? as back then most farmers just got up before the sun came up. and did not stop till after sunset, and never worked by a clock. noon was when the sun was it's highest of the day.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:16 AM, Kirk W said:

I wonder who says we have to observe time zones at all? 

Originally communities set their clocks based on their observation of the local "high noon" sun.  This was called natural time and was different in each community.  Ever notice in the old western movies the first thing someone would do when entering a new town was to check his pocketwatch against the local town clock?

Natural time ended when the railroads connected the nation and needed consistent timing across their operating area so they could enforce timetables that kept trains from colliding with each other.  This meant synchronizing each town's time to the railroad's master clock.  Time zones offset a precise amount from each other followed.

Edited by Lou Schneider

6 hours ago, packnrat said:

i have never understood changing the clocks, i once was told it gave farmers more day light to work in? how? as back then most farmers just got up before the sun came up. and did not stop till after sunset, and never worked by a clock. noon was when the sun was it's highest of the day.

I don't know where you get your information, but since you have a computer it would be very easy for you to find an accurate source to read. It wasn’t until World War I that the U.S. first implemented daylight saving time with the Standard Time Act of 1918 as a way to conserve fuel. Then in World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt implemented a year-round version of daylight saving time, and it became commonly known as “war time.” It wasn’t until the Uniform Time Act of 1966 that a law was passed to make it official across the U.S.

For a history of daylight saving time.........

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I don't know where you get your information, but since you have a computer it would be very easy for you to find an accurate source to read. It wasn’t until World War I that the U.S. first implemented daylight saving time with the Standard Time Act of 1918 as a way to conserve fuel. Then in World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt implemented a year-round version of daylight saving time, and it became commonly known as “war time.” It wasn’t until the Uniform Time Act of 1966 that a law was passed to make it official across the U.S.

For a history of daylight saving time.........

i had written in the same part of my posting. i had been told long ago, i have no facts to say other wise. just want i had been told as a kid.

i guess kinda like how to catch a pigeon. ---- just put salt on it's tail.

changing the time, to me is a fools folly. at 61 and having been driving (for pay) since i was 15 years old. i have seen many changes, but none have any reason to truly say it gives farmers more working time, as with flood lights on tractors they can work 24 hrs. only shut down time is in the rain, snow.  or maybe heavy wind. but not always.

• 2 months later...

It's TIME AGAIN, 

Just starting to get nice in the mornings and what will happen Sunday morning? Somehow Life as I (WE) Know it will change. It will again be pitch black when I am on my way to work and will be light way to long in the evening when I need to try and get some sleep before I head back to work the next morning in the DARK. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the longer daylight hours, but why, why, why does it have to affect my mood so much. It's only time, right? A state of mind. I do dislike it so much. 

I know I am not the only one who feels this way. CAN WE STOP THE MADDNESS and not MARCH MADDNESS. Just the stupid kind. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If anyone is serious about putting daylight saving time in your rear view mirror the only way we can eliminate Daylight Saving Time is:

1. To write your senator TODAY 
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm

2. AND write to  the Secretary of Transportation: Pete Buttigieg 
    https://www.transportation.gov/contact-us

Latest Updates (March 2021)

In March 2021, a bipartisan bill called the “Sunshine Protection Act of 2021” was submitted for consideration in the U.S. Senate. The bill aims to end the time change and make DST permanent across the United States. Bottom-line, the bill would simply negate the need for Americans to change their clocks twice a year. 

The bill has been co-sponsored by eight senators—both Democrats and Republicans—so chances are good that it will at least be considered. If you support this change, consider contacting your state’s senators to let them know!

SOURCE: https://www.almanac.com/content/stopping-daylight-saving-time

Most States Now Want to End the DST Switch

As of April 2020, 32 states had proposed legislation to make daylight saving permanent to save more sunshine year-round, while eight other states had passed bills to keep an extra hour of sleep by not “springing forward” every March. However, such changes must be approved by Congress, which has remained reluctant to spend time changing time.

The Uniform Time Act of 1966 and later amendments to the daylight saving time law state that the Department of Transportation is "authorized and directed to foster and promote widespread and uniform adoption and observance of the same standard of time within and throughout each such standard time zone."

However, the transportation secretary also has the authority to grant exceptions to states whose legislatures request them.    Secretary of Transportation: Pete Buttigieg   Web Address: http://www.transportation.gov/

Currently, two states and four territories have received waivers to opt-out of observing Daylight Saving Time and the legislatures of several other states from Alaska to Texas to Florida have at least considered doing so.

Especially in the so-called “hot weather states,” proponents of opting out of Daylight Saving Time argue that doing so helps reduce the effects of the economic and health consequences that come with longer day lengths — including increases is traffic accidents, heart attacks, workplace injuries, crime, and overall energy consumption — while improving residents’ quality of life during dark fall and winter months. 

SOURCE:  https://www.thoughtco.com/who-enforces-daylight-saving-time-3321062

Edited by Velos

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

That is good news, if it gets to a vote this year. Would be great to not "Fall Back" in November. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

14 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be sad to see the current system go away. I was happy to gain the extra two months about ten years ago, but I don't want darkness to intrude into the daytime in the winter. Jay

You would not be the only one but you would be in the minority, at least according to this AP-NORC poll from October 2019 which was the most recent I could find.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

You would not be the only one but you would be in the minority, at least according to this AP-NORC poll from October 2019 which was the most recent I could find.

16 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be sad to see the current system go away. I was happy to gain the extra two months about ten years ago, but I don't want darkness to intrude into the daytime in the winter. Jay

I'm not sure what you are saying about the two months. Haven't read the attached link yet, but will later today. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 minutes ago, lappir said:

I'm not sure what you are saying about the two months. Haven't read the attached link yet, but will later today. 

Rod

During the crash of 2008, one of the stimulus bills included moving the spring change to DST forward one month and moving the fall change back one month. Jay

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I would guess that the perspective of those polled would change once reality sets in. Many people like the sound of something, without considering the actual reality. There seems to be a lot of buyer's remorse after every election, for example. Jay

Ok, I couldn't figure out how you could gain two months, but now I do. I'm all for keeping "Daylight Savings" or the "Standard Time". I don't care which. Pick a time and leave it. If I was retired or self employed I wouldn't care. I don't look at the clock when I'm off work or working for myself. When I have to be somewhere, like work, is the only time I really look at the clock. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

4 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I would guess that the perspective of those polled would change once reality sets in. Many people like the sound of something, without considering the actual reality. There seems to be a lot of buyer's remorse after every election, for example. Jay

I didn't realize the states had only one choice. Staying in Standard time. That does make it different for some I agree. Not me though. Pick one and stay with it. Don't care which. I did care about the election and have no buyers remorse. My vote wasn't the winner, but I did vote and have accepted the outcome. I had hoped neither of the "MAJOR" parties won and the people wouldn't have chosen the lesser of Two Evils. The didn't. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

When the time changes, I go around and reset my clocks.  Twenty minutes later I've forgotten all about it until the next change.  I'm retired, but it was the same when I was working.  Nothing to get used to, just reset the clocks and move on.  If it's dark, I turn on a light.

Now, if the government could somehow pass a law where it is always Springtime with everything green and beautiful and the climate is mild, I'm all for that.  But, alas, seasons come and seasons go.

25 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I would guess that the perspective of those polled would change once reality sets in. 

I am not sure of that. North America and Europe are primarily the only places (there are a exceptions) that still observe daylight saving time. All the rest of the countries around the world either no longer use it, or never have. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

From WebExibits.org

Today, approximately 70 countries utilize Daylight Saving Time in at least a portion of the country. Japan, India, and China are the only major industrialized countries that do not observe some form of daylight saving.

I found that on Google and do not know how accurate it is. From NCSL.org comes the following.

All states but Hawaii and Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation) observe DST. The territories of American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands also do not observe DST.

16 minutes ago, Velos said:

There are 211 petitions on Change. Org to Abolish Daylight Saving Time
https://www.change.org/search?q=Daylight Saving Time

This one alone has over 200K signatures 
https://www.change.org/p/congress-end-the-time-change-choose-one-standard-time-and-stay-with-it-year-round

I went to both links. Both by Change.org it appears. One want's you to start your own Petition and the other allows you to sign the existing one. They are also gathering "Money" for some reason. I won't contribute, but will share the link. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800