Can we Stop the Maddness??

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

When the time changes, I go around and reset my clocks.  Twenty minutes later I've forgotten all about it until the next change.  I'm retired, but it was the same when I was working.  Nothing to get used to, just reset the clocks and move on.  If it's dark, I turn on a light.

Now, if the government could somehow pass a law where it is always Springtime with everything green and beautiful and the climate is mild, I'm all for that.  But, alas, seasons come and seasons go.

Full disclosure, to sign the Petition you have to give an email address and moments later you get an email from "Daliah Wachs still needs you, Rod" and Change.org. 

I only want the madness to stop. 

Rod

I am glad that works for you and am behind the mild climates 100 %. I do like fall too though and I'd take full winter over summer, especially if the temperatures get much over 80. 

Friday morning when I went to work the light was almost there. Back when I spent the spring in Florida and was riding my bicycle to work,  it was great and then the Monday after the time change, BANG back to the pitch dark on the way to work. Yes the light did come back over time, but the sudden change affects me with each change. I invite you to sign the petition since it doesn't bother you. Can you help another out who doesn't have your ability to change as easily? 

Machos Gracious

Rod

Edited by lappir

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to work for a company on the wet coast of Canada that offered us "summer time". 

We could arrive on duty as early as 06:30 and leave at 15:00 with 1/2 hr for lunch. 

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Interesting article.  One of the complaints listed from the 70's attempt was:

"Many parents and teachers oppose the idea of darker winter mornings, which could put children’s safety at risk. When year-round DST was last used in the 1970s, many Americans criticized sending kids to school in the dark."

IMHO after the Pandemic Winter of isolation people are rethinking a lot of things.  DST affects people differently based on their age and occupation. Also now that people have tasted the convenience of working from home and employers benefiting from the cost savings there will be many more changes down the road.

"Schools Start Too Early:   Learn how starting school later can help adolescents get enough sleep and improve their health, academic performance, and quality of life. 

Adolescents and Sleep

The American Academy of Sleep MedicineCdc-pdfExternalpdf iconexternal icon recommends that teenagers aged 13 to 18 years should regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours per day for good health. Adolescents who do not get enough sleep are more likely to

• Be overweight.
  • Not engage in daily physical activity.
  • Suffer from symptoms of depression.
  • Engage in unhealthy risk behaviors such as drinking, smoking tobacco, and using illicit drugs.
  • Perform poorly in school.

During puberty, adolescents become sleepy later at night and need to sleep later in the morning as a result in shifts in biological rhythms.1 These biological changes are often combined with poor sleep habits (including irregular bedtimes and the presence of electronics in the bedroom).2 During the school week, school start times are the main reason students wake up when they do.3 The combination of late bedtimes and early school start times results in most adolescents not getting enough sleep. "

SOURCE: https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/schools-start-too-early.html

Edited by Velos

9 minutes ago, Velos said:

Interesting article.  One of the complaints listed from the 70's attempt was:

"Many parents and teachers oppose the idea of darker winter mornings, which could put children’s safety at risk. When year-round DST was last used in the 1970s, many Americans criticized sending kids to school in the dark."

IMHO after the Pandemic Winter of isolation people are rethinking a lot of things.  DST affects people differently based on their age and occupation. Also now that people have tasted the convenience of working from home and employers benefiting from the cost savings there will be many more changes down the road.

"Schools Start Too Early:   Learn how starting school later can help adolescents get enough sleep and improve their health, academic performance, and quality of life. 

Adolescents and Sleep

The American Academy of Sleep MedicineCdc-pdfExternalpdf iconexternal icon recommends that teenagers aged 13 to 18 years should regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours per day for good health. Adolescents who do not get enough sleep are more likely to

• Be overweight.

• Not engage in daily physical activity.

• Suffer from symptoms of depression.

• Engage in unhealthy risk behaviors such as drinking, smoking tobacco, and using illicit drugs.

• Perform poorly in school.

During puberty, adolescents become sleepy later at night and need to sleep later in the morning as a result in shifts in biological rhythms.1 These biological changes are often combined with poor sleep habits (including irregular bedtimes and the presence of electronics in the bedroom).2 During the school week, school start times are the main reason students wake up when they do.3 The combination of late bedtimes and early school start times results in most adolescents not getting enough sleep. "

SOURCE: https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/schools-start-too-early.html

Based on my life experience with my children and others, my opinion is that those findings are accurate. Jay

I will be the first to admit that where you live can influence your view of DST.

When we lived in Spain DST put the country 2.5 hours ahead of "solar" time which meant that it was still light as late as 10:30 PM or so. The restaurants and bars loved it, but we had to use blackout shades on our kids bedroom windows to get them to sleep at night at a reasonable time.

When we lived in Scotland we lived so far north that DST was sort of a boon in the summer but in the winter it wouldn't matter at all. My kids went to school in the dark and came home in the dark, the days were just that short.

Here in the US I don't think DST makes sense but our Canadian neighbors might find it nice in the higher latitudes. 

If I was to take a poll now, I certainly vote to "end the madness" and keep us permanently on DST or not, but to quite changing back forth.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 hours ago, noteven said:

I used to work for a company on the wet coast of Canada that offered us "summer time". 

We could arrive on duty as early as 06:30 and leave at 15:00 with 1/2 hr for lunch. 

I worked for a company that would have us start work an hour earlier in the summer than in the winter. Wausau Homes. We put up prefabricated homes and lifting a 20 or 40 foot gable wall in the dark is no fun. Less homes were built during the winter time than the summer since they expected us to work from sun up to sunset. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but I was 18 at the time. 

All I know is Monday when I start off to work I will certainly miss the light in the early morning and when I try to go to sleep at the normal time with the sun still shining I will not be a happy Camper. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

If you want to work from morning light to dark in our part of Canada in June bring a lunch. In June sunrise is at 03:45 and “sets” around 22:00 and on a clear night you can almost read a book outside on the deck all night. The north sky doesn’t get completely dark. 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 11 months later...

The dreaded time is coming again. Apparently the "Fall Back" doesn't bother me as much as the "Spring Forward".  I still dislike them both though. 

In going through the replies I still couldn't read all of the house bills from various states that was posted by one of the repliers. I do thank all who posted. And no I won't sign an on line petition. I will sign one in person and provide only my mailing address for verification I reside in the good ole USA. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

daylight_saving_2022_34271_v1_2_2022.svg2022 Update on daylight saving time legislation
"So far in 2022, at least 22 states are considering 62 pieces of legislation addressing Daylight Saving Time (DST) including 2021 carryover bills and new bills introduced during the 2022 legislative session. Specific states include Alaska, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota and Vermont."
Source: 
https://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/daylight-savings-time-state-legislation.aspx

For those wanting to get involved via an alternative to online petitions you can find the mailing address of your specific state legislator here https://clerk.house.gov/Members#MemberProfiles and write them a letter.

This would be a good civics class exercise for elementary or middle school students to learn who their representative is and write their elected official.

6 hours ago, Velos said:
daylight_saving_2022_34271_v1_2_2022.svg2022 Update on daylight saving time legislation
"So far in 2022, at least 22 states are considering 62 pieces of legislation addressing Daylight Saving Time (DST) including 2021 carryover bills and new bills introduced during the 2022 legislative session. Specific states include Alaska, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota and Vermont."
Source: 
https://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/daylight-savings-time-state-legislation.aspx

For those wanting to get involved via an alternative to online petitions you can find the mailing address of your specific state legislator here https://clerk.house.gov/Members#MemberProfiles and write them a letter.

This would be a good civics class exercise for elementary or middle school students to learn who their representative is and write their elected official.

Thanks very much for the updated information. If I still had children in either of those schools I most certainly would encourage it. Maybe my doctorate student will take up the letter writing task in addition to all of her other duties. 

When they get over half of the 50 states will that ensure that all 50 can stop the time change? 

I tried to find an email address for my S.D. Rep, but there wasn't one listed. I might just have to write a letter and buy the stamp to send. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

with my job, i just know one day a year i lose a hrs sleep. and one day a year i get a extra hrs sleep. nothing else changes.

if the feds want to save on energy. then just turn off all the street signs (ad's that is) across this nation aka no flood lights burning all night. have half the street lights turned off, and tell company's no lights on between 8 pm and 6 am.

Agree, 

there is way too much constant artificial light. I keep a light on if I'm reading, but most of my home is dark unless I have to be in the room. 

I did find an email address for my State Rep and have sent a couple messages. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

59 minutes ago, packnrat said:

if the feds want to save on energy. then just turn off all the street signs (ad's that is) across this nation aka no flood lights burning all night. have half the street lights turned off, and tell company's no lights on between 8 pm and 6 am

I thought that you didn't like government regulating us? No question that we do waste a lot of energy on lights that mostly cause light pollution. You are sounding like part of the environmental movement!  😄  Like most things, the problem is the people!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Street lights are designed to provide enough illumination to help people get around and to also lower crime rates.   Does always work, but that's the reason we have them.   

If people were really serious about getting Daylight Savings Time cancelled, they would make that the #1 question to all Congressional Representatives and Senators.   But they don't.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 3/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, Barbaraok said:

Street lights are designed to provide enough illumination to help people get around and to also lower crime rates.   Does always work, but that's the reason we have them.   

If people were really serious about getting Daylight Savings Time cancelled, they would make that the #1 question to all Congressional Representatives and Senators.   But they don't.   

It's the only letter I have ever written to a Government representative, but I'm only one. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I give up on letting elected officials know my opinions and thoughts.  All I ever get back is a form letter telling me what a great job they are doing, asking for money and nothing to do with the issue I wrote about.  

I am retired and just reset my clocks and as for programs we watch, we generally record them, and time shift so that we can skip the mindless commercials.

Everyone should figure out that the politicians are only worried about reelection, once they are in office.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

The below is a copy and paste from post's I made on the two Jeep Forums I follow. 

Every year, actually twice a year I have had to suffer with the time change. Yesterday and this morning it's nice and bright when I head into work and coming Monday it will be back to DARKNESS. Sure it doesn't last that long, but why do we have to suffer with it?????

I don't remember exactly when they started the time change and really don't care at this point. I want them to stop the MADDNESS. Who does it benefit today????

Maybe in my younger years when I worked nights and got paid for working 8 hours when I only spent 7 hours at the place it was sort of OK, but not really. I spent much of that time changing the clocks and time on multiple pieces of equipment for the "Day Shift" who would come in in a foul mood for having an hour less sleep.

Dear Abby this morning wrote something about how "HAPPY " she was to be able to remind every one to "SPRING" forward with their clock so they would realize that good weather was on the way. I personally like winter much more than Summer and am sad it will be going away for way too many days and way too soon.

I much rather Jeep in the Snow instead of the Mud, How about you??

I have written to my legislator this year and encourage like minded people to do the same. I keep hearing there is a possible change, but will it come in my lifetime?

I'm new here so I hope this post is allowed and is not termed political.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I'm sure you realize that, like most things in life, there are very many people who also like Daylight Saving Time. I'm one of them. I would be less than thrilled if we went to a single time frame all year, but it wouldn't wreck my life. Jay

You may keep your Daylight Savings time. I don't care which one is chosen, just choose one. I dislike the Fall Back just as much nowadays. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

49 minutes ago, lappir said:

You may keep your Daylight Savings time. I don't care which one is chosen, just choose one. I dislike the Fall Back just as much nowadays. 

Rod

Back in my working days as a UPS delivery driver we hated when the clocks went back as it would start to get dark before 5pm and in my day you worked until your truck was empty and residential stops in the dark could be a real PIA seeing house numbers. I was a cover driver mostly and ran multiple routes so could never get used to how some numbers would run

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent 
March 15, 20223:24 PM MSTLast Updated 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, must still pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign.

The complete article here:   https://tinyurl.com/2p8ra7dr

1 minute ago, Velos said:

U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent 
March 15, 20223:24 PM MSTLast Updated 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, must still pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign.

The complete article here:   https://tinyurl.com/2p8ra7dr

Thanks for sharing. I have not seen that yet. Too bad we have to Fall back this November end then go forward once again in 2023. 

For me Spring is the worst, but I don't like the sudden change any time. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

11 hours ago, Velos said:

The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote.

They can't pass a budget but they can manage what they believe is most important to voters. 🤪

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI