Jeep tie downs

runaway parents

So we hauled our new to us jeep Rubicon  to Spokane this weekend via I90 what a rutted up mess Seemed like we where all over the road.Hit one rut got stabilized then hit another and get thrown back over to the other  side of the lane. The question I have could the jeep be amplifying the ruff roads? This is how I have it tied down .Two ratchet straps tied to the rear jeep axle crossing each other goings to D rings in the bed  on the front strap over each tire straps go from D ring over the tire to a strap winch bolted to the deck. The question that I have will a strap with RTJ hooks hooked to the jeep frame and winched down to load the suspension help with the excessive  bouncing?

Need to let the Jeep suspension work, very hard on the equipment to cinch it down on the frame.

I hoop all for wheels with ratchet tie downs to d-rings at the four corners.  15000 plus miles, no issues.  Used the same setup on my gooseneck trailer before the HDT.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Don't cross strap and don't hook to frame, straps will loosen or worse case, break. I've seen cross straps  it pull a jeep off the trailer when one breaks. Here is another great explanation from Mac's Custom Tie Downs:

The Tie-Down Debate: Cross vs. Don't Cross - Mac's Tie Downs

Highly recommend Mac's straps too. I have had macs straps or wheel nets for 20 years. Never had a strap or ratchet failure from Macs. Plenty of failures from the cheap straps. Worth the money IMO. A buddy of mine in NASCAR told me about Macs way back when. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

We carry a Subaru on a slant.  The nose of the car rides above the cab on our 42" cab.  We carry a RZR crosswise under the front of the car.  I originally tried wheel nets but the car bouncing around at that height was a problem.  It was bouncing the HDT around.  I now strap the frame of the Subaru to the structure on the HDT and load the suspension.  I don't pull all of the suspension out so there is some movement.  This has worked well for us.  Each corner of the car has  two 10,000 pound rated straps, one pulling forward and another pulling back.  Each tire has a small dip and a couple of inches of side barrier on both sides.  The car has never moved around or slide against the sides.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Compressing the suspension to the point of no movement is not optimal; attaching to an un-sprung suspension component (tire with nets; direct to axle; etc) will significantly lessen the stress on the vehicle.

Keep in mind, if the strapping to hold the vehicle is going through the suspension (compressing), during the timeframe of holding force need (accident as an example), all of those lbs of force are going through both the strapping and the suspension.  

If their is a reason movement of the suspension shouldn't occur (clearance / tow vehicle movement / ect).  Then go ahead and add additional (and different) strapping to compress the suspension; but just to compress the suspension to a tolerable level; don't fully compress.  Effectively the best of both worlds.

But, piles of folks crush suspensions down to the bump stops and don't worry about it.

On our atvs\utvs I strap direct to the frames (sprung) as they are inside enclosed trailers and we can't have them moving around.  I'm not to worried about those suspensions; I just crank those down.

The vehicles get either tire nets or direct to axle attach; both being un-sprung.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

most people don't have enough oomph to ratchet a strap to a frame down to the bumpstops. I have a hard time doing it and I'm not a small guy. If there is any movement left in the system, the suspension will compress and unless you have fully encapsulated hooks (with snaps)/straps, the hook will come out at some point. Look at all the car haulers, they always go below the frame or to the tires/wheels. Sometimes they will go to frame to limit movement, but it is not the primary attachment. I haul a 6k pound 4 door jeep with one ton running gear and 40 inch tires or a 68 Bronco with 42s and one ton running gear that's even heavier. macscustomtiedowns.com straps to axles or wheel nets. 

Watch all the macscustomtiedown's "tie-down violation" series. He goes around to rigs he sees at events and talks about the various things he sees and how to fix. Most make you wonder, 'what were they thinking?' Some are super sketchy. Entertaining none the less.  https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/blogs/news

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4