What's best Internet product for on the road video conferencing?

jules2go

Hey everyone, 

I'm thinking of getting a Verizon mifi/wifi thing for internet access on the road. I have no idea what to expect for upload or download speeds with it for video conferencing. If anyone has a suggestion for which product to get I'd be greatly appreciative. And please accept my apology for asking this question because I'm sure it's been answered, but I did a quick search here and couldn't find anything specific to my work needs. Thanks in advance. 

Julia aka jules2go

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

2 hours ago, Big Rick said:

The real answer is.........

it depends on where you are at the time.

many places nearly any service is good. In some places, Verizon may be better than ATT and vice versa.

The other problem is if you use more than 15GB per month on most hotpots, you get slowed to unusable.  Good for weekend trips, not for longer or for work.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

17 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

The other problem is if you use more than 15GB per month on most hotpots, you get slowed to unusable.  Good for weekend trips, not for longer or for work.  

There are a number of resellers (MVNOs) that sell unlimited hotspot service on several of the cellular networks.   Most of those are on AT&T and T-Mobile.  For unlimited Verizon service Visible is a good option.  Most, if not all, of these unlimited plans have network management provisions so their speeds will vary.  But the use of a load balancing router often will "smooth things out" and make streaming video feasible.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks for the links folks .. truly appreciated :)

Video conferencing is possible, but it's a tough one to setup for - because you need fast & reliable download AND upload speeds. And a LOT of data. 

I see our video streaming guide has been posted, but that one is focused on streaming things like Netflix. Which is download focused. 

We have another guide specific to Video Conferencing and Broadcasting. And because this question is also about working remotely - I'll link to our resource collection appropriate for those setting up for this, which also includes the Video Conferencing Guide:

Working Remotely over Mobile Internet

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Thank you everyone. I will take a look at Techomadia's links again and try and sort this all out. I'm hoping I might be able to get by with a slower speed during pandemic times since I think my office managers have been more forgiving with speeds. Maybe once we're through it all there will be a slightly faster product available. There have been a few times recently when I had to use my smart phone instead of my laptop -- seriously my dog TWICE chewed through my laptop power cord when I wasn't looking -- and it did the job! That's got to be pretty slow. Lots of my clients are using their cell phones to meet with me and it's all working pretty well actually. 

I've had to tap into my phone's hotspot a few times for short non-video reasons and it's great for that, but I have a feeling I'm careening through my allowed monthly data. I'm my area (mountains of NC) Verizon is queen so I'll probably pick up a Verizon mifi. I hope I can get unlimited data. 

Julia

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

• LindaH locked this topic