Back of trailer comes down... Question

We'reOnward

I don't know what happened to Kirk's pic, but it was there this morning. It showed a 3/4 rear drivers side of a trailer that looked very much like yours. I suspect it's meant as a way to incrase floor space, while keeping a lighter trailer.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thank you for replying! I don't have that blue canvas. So, I just have a big rectangular gap there at the top. I have the bottom back wall. I am thinking it was normally closed all the way around. Maybe, the back top tent canvas ripped. And they just threw that blue tent material up. Connecting it to the bottom.

1 hour ago, We'reOnward said:

Thank you for replying! I don't have that blue canvas. So, I just have a big rectangular gap there at the top. I have the bottom back wall. I am thinking it was normally closed all the way around. Maybe, the back top tent canvas ripped. And they just threw that blue tent material up. Connecting it to the bottom.

Sorry, I just can't picture what you mean.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

According to the HiLo website the trailer you have pictured is not that brand. https://www.hilotrailer.com/home/then

It looks to me like a travel trailer that had a soft-sided wall area that could be lifted to make the trailer short while towing but taller when parked. That would also let you store the trailer in a standard garage. Everything below the canvas probably did not move.

If you Google "sun lite pop up camper" you will find a bunch of pictures of various models.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

According to the HiLo website the trailer you have pictured is not that brand. https://www.hilotrailer.com/home/then

It looks to me like a travel trailer that had a soft-sided wall area that could be lifted to make the trailer short while towing but taller when parked. That would also let you store the trailer in a standard garage. Everything below the canvas probably did not move.

If you Google "sun lite pop up camper" you will find a bunch of pictures of various models.

Linda Sand

It definitely is a Sun Lite. Their Logo is on the front of the trailer. I just thought it was a hi-lo because it does go high or low. Hybrid trailer/tent.

Thank you Al F and Kirk! Yes, it used to be like that but something happened to that blue canvas tent along the way. Because I just opened it up for the first time, it is no longer inside the trailer :( Do you think it will be expensive to replace? Maybe, I can figure out sewing something together. I could just replace the top to look like the surrounding tent canvas at the top. And never open the back wall. 

Why not call the manufacturer to see if one can be purchased or special made for you?  You also need to make sure the mechanism is still there for using it.  I guess sewing a canvas one yourself 'might' be doable but you'd need more that a typical sewing machine.  That's a lot of heavy material to handle.  Or maybe a canvas shop could make something if you brought in a picture.

Or perhaps a sheet metal co. could fabricate just a solid wall to cover up the space.

https://sunsettrailers.com/sun-lite-travel-trailers/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, We'reOnward said:

I could just replace the top to look like the surrounding tent canvas at the top. And never open the back wall. 

That may be the best answer. HiLo only built that series for a few years and the company closed their doors in 2010, so you probably won't find any parts. It would be my guess that having one custom build for the trailer would probably cost more than the trailer is worth. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

43 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

That may be the best answer. HiLo only built that series for a few years and the company closed their doors in 2010, so you probably won't find any parts. It would be my guess that having one custom build for the trailer would probably cost more than the trailer is worth. 

I don't see how a person can do any walking around in that part. Maybe, it was for storage? Bikes and stuff? I hope I can get some material and it works. Trying to make some camping memories with my little boys.

It would be my guess that it was an expanding room, but that is only a guess as I have never actually seen one of them set up. Those without that rear ramp I have seen many times and even had friends back in the late 1990's who owned one of them. Most of their trailers were of the jack-up, hard wall type.

Photo-Feb-19-7-02-27-AM-1024x903.jpg

My sister-in-law made her own tents so it can be done. Nothing says you couldn't use rip-stop nylon instead of canvas. But you would need the poles to support it either way.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

It would be nice to have that extra space. But if we can figure out how to get a tent material up there, I will be very happy! Kirk, mine is cranked up manually. It has a set of bunk beds (full) built in the front, some seating, sink, stove, cabinets, and a shower with toilet. Needs a good cleaning and the back top figured out. Other than that, seems to be very good.

Keep in mind that no matter what you spend in getting it usable, the most that it is likely to sell for is probably less than $3,000. NADA shows the most deluxe model 95 Sun-Lite as average retail of $2,000. 

7 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Keep in mind that no matter what you spend in getting it usable, the most that it is likely to sell for is probably less than $3,000. NADA shows the most deluxe model 95 Sun-Lite as average retail of $2,000. 

Thanks Kirk! I definitely don't want to put too much money into the trailer. I have 2 little boys, were the money could go to more important matters. I am going to try and sew something together myself. Just as long as no water can get. I will be happy.