Looking at HDT

Nwcid

I have been hauling a variety of trailers for many years.  I currently have a 17k, 38' toy hauler and a 2016 Chevy 3500 dually.  I know I have plenty of capacity to spare with this configuration, but I'm starting to get frustrated with the maintenance costs and performance.  I am at 60k and need my front brakes done again.  I might be imagination, but I feel like from time to time my shifting is getting rougher.  Overall ride is better then my 2004 version, but still leaves a bit to be desired.  Topped off with the fact I am in the PNW and average about 8 mpg.  

I have been searching as much as I can about HDT and most information keeps pointing back to this site so I thought I would join.  

We have moved to a point in life where we are not just doing short trips anymore and can take off for month long, or longer trips and looking to do is safer, and more comfortably.  

I have a ton of questions but I will break those out into individual questions instead of word vomit.  If I ask a question that has already been answered I am happy to be given a link to follow.

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you come to the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS October 11 to 17. Get all your questions answered and plenty of hands on time too. 

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

30 minutes ago, sdixon747 said:

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you come to the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS October 11 to 17. Get all your questions answered and plenty of hands on time too. 

That would be nice.  That is a long way from the PNW and we are not that free yet.

Welcome and ask away.  I’ve been on this forum over 10 years and rehashing questions keeps us current.  Above in the pinned notes at the top of the forum you will see “The Heavy Haulers Resource Guide and Rally Site”.  That link should be your first place to research as it answers lots of questions and is packed with great information.  Just be aware like any forum you will have a few responders that will chide you for not doing your own research first.  Just phrase your question “couldn’t find in the resource guide” and then ask away and should quiet those responses.  As Steve says if you have an opportunity to attend a rally it will help a lot.  Hopefully the Covid pandemic will allow us to resume our normal gatherings.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I would suggest joining the FaceBook group as well as there are over 6,000 members there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HDTRVs/

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

1 hour ago, Shawn Patterson said:

I would suggest joining the FaceBook group as well as there are over 6,000 members there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HDTRVs/

I did join that one, also, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1752108481675511

41 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

I did join that one, also, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1752108481675511

Hi Nwcid,

Welcome to the forum. As Steve said that there is a national rally in October. There is also a west coast rally. Hopefully Chad will chime in and tell you more about that rally. There are also a few fellows from the northwest. Hopefully they will chime in.

Best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The West Coast Rally is in Caldwell Idaho in June every year.  We started it because the East Coast and National rallies were a little to far away for those of us on this end of the country who have limited travel time.  (I still work full time and live in California.  I’m hoping to correct both of those circumstances in the not too distant future. 😉).  I put out the official rally announcement in January every year because that is when the park we use sets aside our sites, but for planning purposes the rally will be June 14-21, 2021.  You do not need an HDT to attend.  Welcome to the forum and ask away.  I am also a member of all the Facebook HDT groups, but I much prefer the interactions here as I am not a huge fan of Facebook in general.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

23 hours ago, Nwcid said:

I'm starting to get frustrated with the maintenance costs and performance.  I am at 60k and need my front brakes done again.  I might be imagination, but I feel like from time to time my shifting is getting rougher.

I gave up on domestic pickups for the same reasons.  I had 170k on my GMC.  At least 5 sets of brakes and rotors. 1 differential rebuild at 50k before ever pulling anything!  Brake lines rusted through.  Second differential and whole rear axle because the E brakes rusted away, about 130k.  I said buying a $70K diesel won’t fix these defects so I found this group and bought my first HDT.

Welcome!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Howdy Nwcid,

Greetings and welcome to the forum from a fellow NorWetter.

I know it’s a long trip to the National Rally but if there is any way you can make it I strongly suggest you do so.

I bought my first HDT in August of 2014 went to my first National Rally in October of 2014 with that truck which was a great truck but after attending the rally and learning what I did if I had it to do over I would not have bought that truck.  So I started to seriously look in 2017 for what I really wanted, found and built my present truck in 2018.

Looking what others have done gives you a much better idea of what can be done and what you may want rather then what you think you want now   It’s much easier and cheaper to do it right the first time then do it over again or get another truck.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg