Propane Tank

MEME

Hi, I have a class A 1995 Fleetwood Bounder. New to RVing. When driving should you turoff the gas supply valve on your cylinder? Also its equipment with the safety indicator(green blinking light)when we switch to gas on. Is that suppose to be on the whole time we travel?

Whether or not you should turn off the propane while driving is one of those questions where people have lots of opinions but few facts. That said, the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel is the only place we were required to turnoff our tank in our tour of all the 48 contiguous states.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Many tunnels require it to be off and a few other places, but we typically travel with ours open. Modern propane tanks have a "stop flow" valve in them that is designed to shut off in the event of a sudden loss of back pressure in the system, and that has been required safety equipment for years. There is some small degree of risk with it on, but it is not great and many of us travel with it on, as it was designed to do. But there are also many who recommend that you travel with it closed so this is a personal choice that has no complete answer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As a practical matter, the LP pressure after the regulator is ~0.4 PSI. The pressure after the fuel pump for fuel injected engines is typically 40-60 PSI. The risks in leaving the LP service valve open while underway are minimal even if an accident should occur.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

14 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

We have an AC/LP fridge and no inverter.  We run LP when traveling to keep things cold, but turn off the water heater.

Yup! We had a water heater that was kept hot from engine coolant in our last class A, but we have always turned it off to travel with all of our RVs and we still do so.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sort of related. In my van my water heater was 2.5 gallons heated by electricity. I learned I could turn it on for 10 minutes then turn it off and have perfect temperature water for taking a shower with no cold added. I never had to figure out what to do with the water otherwise wasted trying to get the balance right. A bigger water tank would take longer but I didn't see a need to use fuel to heat water when I wasn't going to use it. Enough warm water stayed in the tank for other uses or I could quickly heat some in the microwave.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

never turned off the propane in any of our 6 RV's over the years and never had a problem. Lucky I guess.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.