If you own a Jeep Cherokee between 2014-2019 (like we do) you may know about the death wobble. We installed a flat tow kit (recommended) by Jeep. This wiring kit keeps the battery running while towing the Jeep so that the EPS is active. Problem is (as acknowledged by Jeep) that it drains the battery and thus when the battery gets too low, it shuts of the EPS and guess what, The Wobble. I recently added a Solar Battery Maintainer and it seems to work. Traveling near Cleveland today, we went into a short turn with several rumble strips which provoked the wobble. We stopped and then started again and no wobble the rest of the trip.

I am having a  battery  line installed from the rig battery, through the 7-pin connection and directly to the Jeep battery. The hope is that it will constantly charge the Jeep battery so it doesn't shut off. Seems like my only hope. I am still perplexed at the wobble when going over the rumble strips and the wobble started. 

When the wobble happens, it triggers the "check engine light."

IF THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR, WOULD LOVE TO TALK WITH SOMEONE..IF YOU'VE EXPERIENCED

THE WOBBLE. IT REALLY TAKES THE FUN OUT OF OUR TRIP.

SHOULD I GET A DIFFERENT CAR?

Death wobble is a common problem in Jeeps and many other solid axle vehicles. There's no silver bullet cure, but common causes are worn...bushings, bearings, steering linkage, ball joints, or unit bearings. You may be able to add some caster easier than a leaf sprung vehicle, so after a good inspection of all front end components, get it in the alignment bay and add some caster. Even make sure the caster is consistent side to side, through the whole steering arc.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Cherokee has an independent front suspension, not a solid axle.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

17 hours ago, Tim and Peggy said:

I am having a  battery  line installed from the rig battery, through the 7-pin connection and directly to the Jeep battery. The hope is that it will constantly charge the Jeep battery so it doesn't shut off.

Sometimes a battery charging line from the motorhome is too long and has too much voltage drop to keep the toad battery charged.  If this happens you can add a voltage booster on the toad and boost the voltage enough to keep the battery charged.

https://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=185549

Edited by Lou Schneider

My Smart car has the same problem. An easy fix is to tie a bungee cord to the steering wheel and attach the other end somewhere to keep slight tension on the wheel. This may also work for the Jeep.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

4 hours ago, Tom_M said:

My Smart car has the same problem. An easy fix is to tie a bungee cord to the steering wheel and attach the other end somewhere to keep slight tension on the wheel. This may also work for the Jeep.

Our Smart does the same.  We bungee the wheel with just enough tension to help it return to center.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 7/26/2020 at 9:51 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Death wobble is a common problem in Jeeps and many other solid axle vehicles. There's no silver bullet cure, but common causes are worn...bushings, bearings, steering linkage, ball joints, or unit bearings. You may be able to add some caster easier than a leaf sprung vehicle, so after a good inspection of all front end components, get it in the alignment bay and add some caster. Even make sure the caster is consistent side to side, through the whole steering arc.

Yes, this it is always caused by a worn, loose or maladjusted suspension part.  The hard part is that many time it is multiple parts that all contribute to the end result.  On one of my vehicle I could not find it, finally found an old school tech, he lifted it up with wheels about a foot off the ground, put a 6ft 2x4 under the front tire and the leverage from that showed how badly the wheel bearings where worn even though by hand they felt fine and you could not wiggle the tire.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

On 7/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, filthy-beast said:

Yes, this it is always caused by a worn, loose or maladjusted suspension part.  The hard part is that many time it is multiple parts that all contribute to the end result.  On one of my vehicle I could not find it, finally found an old school tech, he lifted it up with wheels about a foot off the ground, put a 6ft 2x4 under the front tire and the leverage from that showed how badly the wheel bearings where worn even though by hand they felt fine and you could not wiggle the tire.

On a Smart car this is caused by the wheelbase to vehicle width dimension..  Slightly longer then wide.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins