Best route from West Yellowstone to Grand Tetons

dennisvr

I have a HDT pulling a 40' 5th wheel.  Looking at different routes from West Yellowstone to the Grand Tetons.  I'm not wanting to go thru the park.  Does anyone know if its OK to take 20 to 33 to 22 to 189 into Jackson.  I'm not sure of 22 it looks a little curvy.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

dennisrv, you can certainly do the pass on RT. 22 with an HDT. But we were just over the pass two weeks ago coming from Jackson to Victor in just our dually. We usually go over there at least once every year we are there. As always, when catching the traffic light at Wilson, the only thing you smell is overheated brakes and sometimes with smoke added. The locals that have to drive it, dumpers and some loggers have a pretty good handle on it. But I have seen "foreign" semi-drivers smoking too. Most stop at the top and then go. Another thing is that it is a scenic tourist route so you can have some dip sees something and jams on the brakes to look at whatever so you need to be prepared. I personally think it is a macho thing with some RV  folks to do it. Since I be the head wrench on this here rig, I don't and won't do it. A good description is in Mountain Directory West.  Easiest thing is go to Alpine Junction and come back up which is also a very scenic drive.

Edited by bobsallyh

Curves are not your problem.  It's steep.  From the Mtn. Directory:  Eastbound descent from Teton Pass on Hwy 22 starts with a truck warning sign - "Steep grade--10% next 5.5 miles--use lower gear".  There are 20 mph curves near the top.  About 1/3 miles down is a sign "Runaway truck ramp--2.5 miles LEFT side" and the warning is repeated several times.  To use the ramp you must cross the oncoming lane of traffic.  The second runaway truck ramp is about 1 mile after the first. . also on the left side.  Then the grade begins to ease to about 6-7%.

Take 33, 31, 26 into Alpine then north to Grand Teton. . or down to Idaho Falls & then 26 east.   Where are you staying?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I've driven through the park several times with my CC,LB dually towing a 40'5er. From West  Yellowstone to Jackson, WY., then on South to state highways leading to Rock Springs. I've driven into the park via the North entrance, to West Yellowstone, then as i said.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks all for the advice.  I will look at the route you advise thru Alpine.  I've done plenty 6 to 7% grades but not 10%.  Don't need the drama if I can avoid it.  Thanks again.
2Gypsies, going to try to get a spot at Gros Ventre, wish me luck........

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

If you are in West Yellowstone , go out to Idaho and down to Victor , Idaho. Then take your tow vehicle over Teton Pass (easy) to Jackson and then to Grand Tetons.

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

20 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Gros Ventre.... very nice!  Views and animals.

Got to Gros Ventre at 10:15am yesterday.  Line to get in was half way to the road.  Got to about 6 vehicles to register and they put out the campground full sign.  Guess all the stars lined up because we got the last spot to park in the overflow.  The host said he has not seen it packed like this before and it has been like this seen the first of July.  He said they start lining up at the gate at 4:30am and they don't open till 8am.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

4 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Got to Gros Ventre at 10:15am yesterday.  Line to get in was half way to the road.  Got to about 6 vehicles to register and they put out the campground full sign.  Guess all the stars lined up because we got the last spot to park in the overflow.  The host said he has not seen it packed like this before and it has been like this seen the first of July.  He said they start lining up at the gate at 4:30am and they don't open till 8am.

That's amazing about the crowds.  We've been there in all seasons and have always gotten a spot and there were empty sites by evening. So glad you could snag a spot!  Wow!  Everyone must be out there RVing.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The workers here at Gros Ventre said they have never seen it like this in all the years they've worked here.  Said it started getting bad the first of July.  We tried to get a spot at Bakers Hole in West Yellowstone, but no luck.  Went in at 8am and there was one guy parked behind a RV and said they were leaving at noon and he was going to sit in his car and wait the 4 hrs for it.  Crazy......

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 7/23/2020 at 5:08 PM, 2gypsies said:

Curves are not your problem.  It's steep.  From the Mtn. Directory:  Eastbound descent from Teton Pass on Hwy 22 starts with a truck warning sign - "Steep grade--10% next 5.5 miles--use lower gear".  There are 20 mph curves near the top.  About 1/3 miles down is a sign "Runaway truck ramp--2.5 miles LEFT side" and the warning is repeated several times.  To use the ramp you must cross the oncoming lane of traffic.  The second runaway truck ramp is about 1 mile after the first. . also on the left side.  Then the grade begins to ease to about 6-7%.

Take 33, 31, 26 into Alpine then north to Grand Teton. . or down to Idaho Falls & then 26 east.   Where are you staying?

Wow! Now that is a grade!

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 7/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, 2gypsies said:

That's amazing about the crowds.  We've been there in all seasons and have always gotten a spot and there were empty sites by evening. So glad you could snag a spot!  Wow!  Everyone must be out there RVing.  

It’s packed around Rushmore.

8 hours ago, dixonge said:

We just came through there. The pressure on 'other' sites is serious. I spot-checked some sites and visually visited others. Even boondocking sites 5 miles off the main road were either full or almost full. It Is INSANE out there! Traffic through the parks was often slow and/or crowded. We just drove straight through from Tetons to West Yellowstone. We did stop and hike up a hill for a nice socially-distant view of Old Faithful, then moved on. Both Jackson and West Yellowstone were *packed* - cars parked on every street, lots of pedestrians.

Similar issue at Glacier National - the reservation on the east side of the park has shut down all traffic, so two campgrounds in the park are closed, including about 1/3 of the total park area. I spot-checked by looking at reservations at the KOA in West Glacier. Nothing open for any vehicle size until late August, most sites not until September.

This weekend, not a holiday, most commercial RV parks around Missoula, MT are booked solid, especially on the highway. We found an odd one south of town, focused on square dancing. No dancing right now, so maybe that opened up some spots? Not sure, but grateful. We've spent too many nights in Walmarts lately.

Where are all the wonderful non-crowded BLM boondocking spots I've been reading about? :(

Good to know as we are going to be heading that way.