Insurance update, I am insured

Vegas Teacher

O.k. after a very long drawn out process I am insured with GLG insurance. I called every well known company everybody on the forum told me about. I took the advice of every person. I said what you told me too, and I just about gave up. At 4:45 I called the progressive office yesterday, I explained everything, and the guy said we can't but here are three companies that might be able to help you out. So when I called GLG the first lady said I can't help but I know who can. So I get transferred to a guy that was a long haul trucker. He wants to buy a semi too and do the same thing we do. He says do you drive bobtail too. I said yes, I don't always want to take my trailer, he says O.K. and I hear him typing away. 30 minutes later I am insured commercial policy, for a private truck for noncommercial use, and I can drive bobtail legally anywhere I want, plus I don't have to have a CDL and I don't have to classify it as an RV either..  I was so happy I almost cried.

Later Cory Ossana 

Congratulations Cory.  I'm glad you got it sorted out.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Congratulations Cory.  I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Chad, first of all good to hear from you, how is the corona virus in your part of California. I was in Delhi / Turlock last week for dog training / bite work and they said they were in pretty good shape. I really almost gave up. I considered buying a cheap trailer, then considered selling. I think my next trip to the shop will be a trip like you told me about where one thing snowballs into a major repair, but knowing I am not the only one makes it better. If you make it back to Vegas again look me up.

48 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

Your persistence paid off. Congratulations! 

FCIS switched me over to Progressive a few years ago. I've been happy with both FCIS and Progressive.

They were a life saver for me. When I was honest and told the other companies I didn't have a trailer currently or used the term  Bobtail they either ended the conversation or said insurance would not cover me, if I was running bobtail. So at the frustration point I got to I asked one lady if I was supposed to hook up my travel trailer just to get the tires changed. She got rather pissy at that comment. Another company kept me on the phone for about an hour and that was a total run around, then they asked for my email address to finish things up. 30 minutes later I received an email that said I would not be able to get insurance without a CDL number from anybody. I was thinking about selling the semi or buying a cheap travel trailer. I even considered buying a large flatbed trailer. I think the biggest part of it was most companies just did not understand or the person on the phone was simply clueless how to get it done 

Later Cory Ossana 

Howdy Cory,

Do you mind giving some contact information for the folks you got insurance from?  Mine is due to be renewed in mid August, National General doubled their rates last year so I went with Progressive but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the same thing this year after pulling me in with a decent rate.  This seems to be a ploy with most insurance suck you in and then jack the rates as  "WE" are in a small group who need insurance of an odd ball combination getting anyone to insure us is hard to do.  So having another source would be welcome information, glad it worked out for you.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Cory,

Do you mind giving some contact information for the folks you got insurance from?  Mine is due to be renewed in mid August, National General doubled their rates last year so I went with Progressive but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the same thing this year after pulling me in with a decent rate.  This seems to be a ploy with most insurance suck you in and then jack the rates as  "WE" are in a small group who need insurance of an odd ball combination getting anyone to insure us is hard to do.  So having another source would be welcome information, glad it worked out for you.

Dave

Sure GLG 702- 360 -2111

Great news Cory!

How did the rate from GLG compare to what you were paying before? I don't need amounts, just wondering if it was significantly more or less than what you were paying.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Glad to hear you were successful.

We live in Las Vegas also.

I would question your assumption that you do not need a CDL.

In Nevada if your truck is over 26,000LBS GVW you need either a CDL or Non Commercial CDL.

Also if your treailer is over 10,000 LBS your either need an endorsement on your regular license or a CDL or Non Commercial CDL.

It sucks but Nevada lately is doing a lot of copying of California laws.

3 hours ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Great news Cory!

How did the rate from GLG compare to what you were paying before? I don't need amounts, just wondering if it was significantly more or less than what you were paying.

About 400 less per year and a 200.00 since I paid it all up front. Also I carry only liability since my truck is paid off. I assume most of us have a paid off truck, since I am sure we would get the same kind of run around trying to get a loan on one of these things.

2 hours ago, richardbetsey said:

Glad to hear you were successful.

We live in Las Vegas also.

I would question your assumption that you do not need a CDL.

In Nevada if your truck is over 26,000LBS GVW you need either a CDL or Non Commercial CDL.

Also if your treailer is over 10,000 LBS your either need an endorsement on your regular license or a CDL or Non Commercial CDL.

It sucks but Nevada lately is doing a lot of copying of California laws.

I registered under 26000 at the DMV after showing them my weight from the scales out at the speedway. They didn't give me any trouble. I don't have a trailer to worry about right now. What part of town do you live in? I live up on the north end, north of 215 just two blocks north of the DMV like you are going to the Clark county gun range. After all of this corona stuff is over look me up, I am happy to buy beer and trade stories and get advice from those who have been through it. Who services your Semi? I am never going back to TEC again. I am looking at true blue for my next place to go to. They seem so have good ratings.

Glad to hear the news Cory. We went through a lot of working with underwriters and my state farm agent and her office team were able to insure us as well. About 800 per year and we can bobtail with it, although this tends to attract the local troopers so I think we will stick to dragging the trailer around with us for the most part. I get the sense that with the large increase in popularity of purchasing these trucks for alternative uses that we will see some negative response laws happen up here in the great white north otherwise known as MN. I hope not. 

7 hours ago, longhauler said:

Glad to hear the news Cory. We went through a lot of working with underwriters and my state farm agent and her office team were able to insure us as well. About 800 per year and we can bobtail with it, although this tends to attract the local troopers so I think we will stick to dragging the trailer around with us for the most part. I get the sense that with the large increase in popularity of purchasing these trucks for alternative uses that we will see some negative response laws happen up here in the great white north otherwise known as MN. I hope not. 

I drove through Minnesota a few years back, it was beautiful country up there. I hope to make it back dome day. I would like to go way north and take the boat ride out to isle royal, I would also love to go Walley, Northern, Smallmouth and Musky fishing in Lake of the Woods some day.

Later Cory Ossana 

O.k. after a very long drawn out process I am insured with GLG insurance. I called every well known company everybody on the forum told me about. I took the advice of every person. I said what you told me too, and I just about gave up. At 4:45 I called the progressive office yesterday, I explained everything, and the guy said we can't but here are three companies that might be able to help you out. So when I called GLG the first lady said I can't help but I know who can. So I get transferred to a guy that was a long haul trucker. He wants to buy a semi too and do the same thing we do. He says do you drive bobtail too. I said yes, I don't always want to take my trailer, he says O.K. and I hear him typing away. 30 minutes later I am insured commercial policy, for a private truck for noncommercial use, and I can drive bobtail legally anywhere I want, plus I don't have to have a CDL and I don't have to classify it as an RV either..  I was so happy I almost cried.

Vegas Teacher, damn.  Something it's not so easy to sign up ordinary insurance papers, hah. Congrats anyway. It was much easier for me to get my insurance, cause I've been making it with this ( here: https://www.americaninsurance.com/ ) insurance agency, which has professional managers on all stages and levels.

Edited by theodore6WB

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2020 at 11:58 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

I drove through Minnesota a few years back, it was beautiful country up there. I hope to make it back dome day. I would like to go way north and take the boat ride out to isle royal, I would also love to go Walley, Northern, Smallmouth and Musky fishing in Lake of the Woods some day.

Later Cory Ossana 

I think you will find that its even prettier. Skip Mpls right now. Its a bit of a pit at the moment. ;>

On 6/7/2020 at 9:58 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

Later Cory Ossana 

Howdy Cory,

As one who was born and raised in the northern hinterlands of Minnesota, unless you really like cities stay as far away from minniapolis/st. paul as you can.  The northern half of the State especially what is known locally as the North Shore, is beautiful and for the midwest very scenic.  As for fishing be sure to check out Leach Lake, and the upper and lower Red Lakes.

BEWARE the Mosquitoes, they are ravenous and at times are so bad no matter if you take a bath in 100% Deet, they will suck you dry.  In fact a favorite Native American torture in that part of the country was to strip a person naked, tie them to a tree and walk away, the mosquitoes would drive the victim mad before they killed him.  You have been warned, seriously.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 6/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, GlennWest said:

Non Commercial CDL is an oxymoron. If it non commercial, it is not commercial

Doesn't apply to *you* when driving in CA - but for a driver (with CA DL)  .....try telling that to the CHP,  ROTFL

Sounds like NV has "mirrored" the CA regs.

BTW - other states like to do the same with CA emissions.  It's called..... REVENUE

On 7/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

Doesn't apply to *you* when driving in CA - but for a driver (with CA DL)  .....try telling that to the CHP,  ROTFL

Sounds like NV has "mirrored" the CA regs.

BTW - other states like to do the same with CA emissions.  It's called..... REVENUE

Thanks, Good to know.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, GlennWest said:

Non Commercial CDL is an oxymoron. If it non commercial, it is not commercial

Shorthand for the Non-Commercial versions of the Class A or Class B licenses.  Not an oxymoron in states that require these for anything over 26,000 lbs GVWR or GCWR. 

Again, it's only for your home state.  You can go anywhere in the country as long as you're legally licensed at home.

Nevada requires a Commercial or Non-Commercial Class A license for any combination over 26,000 lbs GCWR, or a Class B for a single vehicle over that weight and a Class J endorsement to tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR.  Scroll down to RV Requirements:

https://dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm

And here's the Non-Commercial Class A, Class B and Endorsement J Study guide - good information for anyone driving that much weight, whether your state requires an enhanced license or not.

https://dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbookabj.pdf

Edited by Lou Schneider