Honda generator

Hey all  Im thinking about  buying a Honda 2200i companion with the 30 amp socket. I'm confused as to weather I need two units to use the 30 amp. I will use  mostly for boondocking to recharge battery's. Can I plug the camper power cord into 30 amp socket and also run ac for micro wave, t v, air-conditioned? or does that require an second unit hooked in parallel thanks for the info

George the greek

The maximum sustained output of a single Honda 2200 is 1800 watts, or 15 amps at 120V.  While this is plenty for charging batteries , watching TV and other similar tasks, it generally won't start or run an Air Conditioner, and perhaps not even a full-sized microwave unless you take care to eliminate all other loads. The second unit it necessary for reliably running an A/C.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

32 minutes ago, kurtsara said:

You need two of them to use the 30 amp plug. 

I think you can use the 30 amp plug with just one generator but it will only provide 15 amps.

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

I use the 2200i just fine.  It does not produce 30amp without the companion but so far I have not needed to get one.  It operates my air conditioner just fine but I make sure nothing else is on, it runs full throttle and will only run 4 hours max, eco mode can't handle it.  In eco mode, I've made it a tad over 9 hours run time, perfect for a fan and 2 CPAPs all night and coffee pot in the am.  I camp out in the sticks so no one to bother, albeit pretty quiet running.  I have but don't use the micro but I'm sure if I did, it would not handle the a/c and micro at same time.  My camper is rated at 30 amp, I don't know how a 50amp camper would handle it.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

6 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

My camper is rated at 30 amp, I don't know how a 50amp camper would handle it.

Pretty much the same as plugging into 15 amp shore power - you can do it as long as you don't use more electricity than the source can supply.

Just to clarify, the 30 amp socket is always energized but without a second generator you can't pull more than 18.3 amps surge or 15 amps continuous from it.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I occasionally use a Yamaha 2400 which will run my ac easily.  The big problem is the amperage needed for start up of the compressor.  I installed a soft start capacitor and it works well.  The gen. will also run the microwave.  But it will not run both at the same time.  AC is a Coleman Mach...........

33 minutes ago, Sehc said:

You can use the one honda for 15 amps 120 volt.

15 amps X 120 volts = 1800 Watts.  You need to look at the continuous duty rating of the generator.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

When plugged into any AC source (either shore power or a generator) your 12 volt is usually supplied by the battery charger/converter. The charger/converter converts 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC and charges your battery. When not plugged in to any AC source your 12 volt DC is supplied by the battery only. With 1 Honda EU2200i you have 2200 watts max output, 1800 W continuous. These outputs are rated at sea level and decrease approx 3.5% per 1000 ft. You do not mention the size of your air cond, it is either a 13,000 BTU or an 11,000. It is most likely a 13,000 unless you have a small trailer. It could be a 15,000 but these are usually only found on a 50 Amp trailer. Most users are concerned about in running an air conditioner when boondocking in hot weather. If you install an EasyStart on the air conditioner, and disconnect the battery charger/converter while running the air cond you can run the 13.5K air cond on one EU2200i and it may also be able to run on ECO mode. You won't be able to run any other 120 appliances while running that air cond. Investigate the wattage your microwave to find out what it draws. You have to manage your usage. Another option if you decide you need 2 EU2200i's is that you can get 2 standard units and get a parallel cable to join them together. You need to do some research to become familiar with all options. Hopefully this help further your RV education. It took me a while to figure much of it out and every day brings new opportunities to learn more.

good luck.

7 hours ago, George the greek said:

If I understand right I can charge my battery's and run all the 12 volt in camper, but still need the second unit to make 30 amps for the 120 . 

yep. If you want some real power, gang 3 of them together.  That way you can use your MW at the same time you're running your air to cook dinner without having to turn off the a/c.

Edited by hemsteadc

8 hours ago, kurtsara said:

You are correct, I thought they were asking if they could use it and get 30 Amps though. 

I guess we we're looking at the question differently. Hopefully with all the answers he understands what he needs or maybe he is more confused. Hopefully it is that he understands😅.

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

On 4/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, NDBirdman said:

I use the 2200i just fine.  It does not produce 30amp without the companion but so far I have not needed to get one.  It operates my air conditioner just fine but I make sure nothing else is on, it runs full throttle and will only run 4 hours max, eco mode can't handle it.  

Do you monitor the AC voltage while running the AC?  I would be concerned it may drop below 107V which may damage the AC.

I have a Progressive in-line power monitor.  If it drops, it would cut out.  Has not happened to me, yet....

I did not put in the soft-start for the AC, bought camper used so I don't know if I have one or not.  I would not use a genny/shore power without a power monitor, have heard too many nightmares about frying equipment without one.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

Cheap insurance.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.