Tire cable or chains

Bbeezzz

On 9/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, Bbeezzz said:

How many folks carry tire chains or cables for their motor home? Our Winnebago Sunstar is 18000 pounds and we are planning to travel mid October from Calgary to Spokane then further west to the coast and south to California.

The one season we needed to carry chains, we bought them at Les Schwab, never used them, then returned them months later for a refund. Good deal offered by Les Schwab.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, Randyretired said:

If you travel I70 through the Colorado high country during the winter, chains or traction devices are required.

That's also a requirement on most (all?) the interstates going East/West in Washington. Buy the cheapest, lightest set that meets the minimum needed, and have a flexible schedule.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We owned 2 different motorhomes for a total of 23 years and never owned chains for either. If roads were at all bad we just stayed in an RV park until the road had improved. Once we were retired we rarely traveled on other than dry roads, except when the weather changed abruptly while traveling. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The only reason we carried chains that one season is that we were having solar installed in Oregon in November. Like Kirk, other than that we stayed far enough south in winter to not be required to carry them.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

21 minutes ago, Jennifer Ministries said:

What type of tire chains can I use on a 2015 Subaru outback 2.5 I Premium with Mile-Star sport   225/65/17 tires?  Should they be on all 4 tires due to spoil to car if only on front or back? Thanks… ….

Tire chain info example

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 9/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, sandsys said:

The one season we needed to carry chains, we bought them at Les Schwab, never used them, then returned them months later for a refund. Good deal offered by Les Schwab.

The "months later" worked for you because Les Schwab doesn't accept returns of unused tire chains until after the "end of the season."  So it won't work for people just passing through somewhere they think they might need chains or are required to carry them.

I agree with waiting until the weather is favorable for driving but some roads require chains or traction devices be carried all winter.  Good weather is not an acceptable excuse.   For those of us that don't carry these devices route planning requires a little more thought.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 9/24/2019 at 2:09 PM, Bbeezzz said:

How many folks carry tire chains or cables for their motor home? Our Winnebago Sunstar is 18000 pounds and we are planning to travel mid October from Calgary to Spokane then further west to the coast and south to California.

From Spokane, go west on I-90 to US 395, then SW to Richland,  pick up I-82 to I-84 then west on I-84 to Portland.  This takes you west of Cascades.  Take I-5 to south of Eugene, then Oregon hihway 38 over to US 101 and head south.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834