how often do glad hand hoses need to be replaced

bags

Is there any recommended time interval for replacing glad hand hoses? Mine have no wear spots but a failure would be problematic to say the least.

Thanks

JB

Edited by bags

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

I should have been more specifc. For those of us who have air brakes on our trailers how often should you replace the glad hand hoses.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Are they plastic or rubber?     Plastic ones 3 years in the sun is about when I would change, rubber no cracking OK.    You do a pretrip so when you check the air lines see how flexible they are.     Most airlines fail at points where the hose has hardened.  

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Good question.  I have the lines that came on my work truck when I bought it in 2007.  I also have a spare set in the shop, waiting.  If they're in the shade when parked, they'll last a long time.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

9 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Are they plastic or rubber?     Plastic ones 3 years in the sun is about when I would change, rubber no cracking OK.    You do a pretrip so when you check the air lines see how flexible they are.     Most airlines fail at points where the hose has hardened.  Steve

Plastic. Which airline is better? Rubber or plastic?

I like the Techtran Magnums for end of frame gladhand.  They don't wad up like the separates and seem to hold up pretty well.  They have the big handle on them too so you don't split the air hose trying to take them on and off.  I use a couple of their 360 deg clamps on springs to hold the center of the thing up.  I've never done an RV, but use the 12 footer with the 14" leads for the flatbeds.  RVs might take a different lead.

https://tectran.com/3-in-one-airpower-line-tec-360-clamp/

https://tectran.com/magnumflex-hd-dual-line-aircoils/

I'm not sure you can use the straight rubber air hoses on the back of the truck?  Does it work?  That's a lot of stretch back there.

Rubber air lines are better.    Plastic air lines are more of a problem in cold temps they become brittle.     The sun is hard on any plastic or rubber "most" rubber air lines are several layers.    The outer layer is subject to the harsh conditions while the inner tube is protected.      Urban areas have more smog that also contributes to decay in both materials.    

My air lines use quick disconnects at both ends, I store the lines in the truck when not in use.      I have a set of plastic airlines that have been in a box for many years and they seem like new.      Exposure to sun and widely ranging temps are the main degrader, stretching is also a factor in wear. 

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Thanks for all the help. Heading to NAPA tomorrow.

JB