Air leaking at the guages

scubadave

In my 99 VNL 610, tracked down some of my air leaks to the connections behind the guages in the dash cluster. Removed the air lines and tried to take the push to connect fitting apart to put in a new o ring but was unable to get it apart. Is there some trick to get the old o ring out without damaging the guages?

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

Yes. Make sure you have bled down the air pressure. Push the grommet in with an airline tool or wrench head of appropriate size and line should pull out with a little effort. Pull the grommets out with needle nose pliers. You will then need a dental pic (you can buy set at HF) to pick out the O ring. Sometimes the ring is old and brittle and you have to pick out in pieces. Before putting in new ring, dip a Q tip in alcohol and clean the fitting. Put in new O ring and seat with blunt side of a pic or small flat blade screwdriver. You don’t want to damage. Cut lines back a bit to have fresh edge and reinsert. Be sure they’re seated. The trick is NO air pressure on lines. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Actually, the edge has no effect on sealing the fitting.  That said, if there's a groove where the oring rests, then trimming the end a bit will put the oring in a fresh spot.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I tried pulling the gromet out with needle nose pliers but was afraid of damaging the gauge or the fitting with the amount of pressure needed.

cat called Anne May

1 hour ago, scubadave said:

I tried pulling the gromet out with needle nose pliers but was afraid of damaging the gauge or the fitting with the amount of pressure needed.

If you’re pulling straight out shouldn’t damage. Sometimes they’re stubborn 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I tried to remove the collet and was unsuccessful. Either I need to eat more spinach 😋 or someone else will have to do the job as pulling straight up with the needle nose pliers is not working for me.

cat called Anne May

Will the collet turn?  If so, a bit of slick'm of your favorite flavor might help ease it out.

You did take the line out first? I know, dumb question, but I've done worse.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

mine was leaking to and I could not get it apart, I gave up before I broke it and went to the Volvo dealer to see if I could order a new gauge.   They said they had 10 of them in stock in Chicago for $350.00 each   they still have 10 far as I know,  when home and cut my hose back a little bit and the air leak was gone  guess I got lucky

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

After removing the air line and trimming just enough to give it the original size, then clean the old o'ring with rubbing alcohol. Clean the tubing end also. Then using a cue tip, lube the o'ring with dielectric grease available from an auto parts store. The lube may just be enough to help seal it good.

Also when you cut the line back it may help to have just a slight angle on the end instead of a 90 degree cut.

Just a thought,.   Vern

I have trimmed the line ends and the leaks still remain. I have checked the price of new guages, $275 for the rear and $300 for the front. Will try the cleaning and dielectric to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

cat called Anne May

Archived