Considering a 2004 Volvo VN 630 6x4 465 hp Volvo motor Meritor 12 sp auto

Bob and Louise

I'm considering the Volvo above, 560k miles, looks to be in very good condition, owner seems to have maintained it very well.  I'll probably fly there and look it over closely soon.  Owner says newer air bags, radiator, no air leaks (he said he can't stand them and is picky), several other items.  Last oil change 8k miles back.  He still drives it, and is comfortable taking it on a 600 mile each way trip next week.  He also pointed out three cosmetic issues saying he doesn't want to mislead anyone even about minor issues.  They were in the photos but he wanted to be sure I saw them.  I've looked at other trucks and my gut wasn't happy but this time I feel like it's a good truck.

Are there things I should absolutely inspect on a 2004?  Anything to watch for that might turn into a major repair soon?  I know things happen, but I'm wondering if there are specific issues that crop up around half a million miles I should look for.  I'll probably have the oil sampled and a local Volvo shop inspect it as well, at a minimum.  This thing is too big to tow home unexpectedly with a pickup lol.

It's possible that the horsepower figure that you posted in the title may be a typo, but if that's what you were quoted, you'll want to confirm that with Volvo.  I don't believe that they've ever installed a 600+ HP engine in any VNL.  I seem to recall that the high output D16 could only be had in the VT models due to cooling issues (lack of frontal area for a sufficiently large cooling stack in the VNL models).  Also, the ZF/Meritor transmission was only rated for up to 1650 lb/ft of torque, which a 600+ HP engine would exceed.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

If this is a Volvo engine ask if the EGR valves have been changed yet (iirc about $2000).  Look at the injector harness where it passes through the head.  It is quite common for them to leak there and depending where you go could easily be another $1800.  Neither problem would stop me from buy the truck but would help negotiating the price.

I agree with Phil the horsepower is more likely to be 425 or 465 for that vintage truck.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

uh...what they said. You will find some that do not like the Freedomline transmission. Phil D and I both have them and they aren't an issue. Just realize the Freedomline is not sold in the US anymore. Volvo still employs trained mechanics and at the worst, parts are only an ocean away and they fly back and forth several times a day. I had the voltage doubler go out on mine and the part was easily located (in the US) and overnight shipping isn't that costly when your truck is sitting in the shop. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

12 hours ago, Big5er said:

uh...what they said. You will find some that do not like the Freedomline transmission. Phil D and I both have them and they aren't an issue. Just realize the Freedomline is not sold in the US anymore. Volvo still employs trained mechanics and at the worst, parts are only an ocean away and they fly back and forth several times a day. I had the voltage doubler go out on mine and the part was easily located (in the US) and overnight shipping isn't that costly when your truck is sitting in the shop. 

I heard somewhere that there are still Meritor Automated transmissions being installed in new busses.  I don't know if this is true or if they are similar to the Freedomline transmission, but I was told they are still supported in that application in the US.

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

I agree with Phil. I have the same truck with 770,000 miles. I also had the voltage doubler go out. Other than that I have had no unusual problems in 9 years.

I also have the same engine(if it is the Volvo engine) and it should tell the HP rating on a sticker on the side of the engine.

Brad

How much are they asking for this vintage now?

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

33 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I heard somewhere that there are still Meritor Automated transmissions being installed in new busses.  I don't know if this is true or if they are similar to the Freedomline transmission, but I was told they are still supported in that application in the US.

When the Freedomline was being actively marketed by the ZF Meritor joint venture, it gained a significant share of the luxury/tour bus market in North America.  Since the bus OEMs weren't a party to the "exclusive deal" that Eaton used to drive the Freedomline out of the OTR truck market, they've continued to do well in that segment.  Meritor has long since withdrawn from performing the marketing and support functions for which they were formerly responsible, but ZF directly sells and supports the product in the North American bus market.

While it's now known as the ZF AS Tronic transmission (Freedomline was the name that the ZF Meritor joint venture used to market the AS Tronic in North America) as it is in the rest of the world, and it's no doubt benefitted from the more than fifteen years of additional development, it is in fact the same transmission that was sold to truckers as the Freedomline.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

4 hours ago, Phil D said:

When the Freedomline was being actively marketed by the ZF Meritor joint venture, it gained a significant share of the luxury/tour bus market in North America.  Since the bus OEMs weren't a party to the "exclusive deal" that Eaton used to drive the Freedomline out of the OTR truck market, they've continued to do well in that segment.  Meritor has long since withdrawn from performing the marketing and support functions for which they were formerly responsible, but ZF directly sells and supports the product in the North American bus market.

While it's now known as the ZF AS Tronic transmission (Freedomline was the name that the ZF Meritor joint venture used to market the AS Tronic in North America) as it is in the rest of the world, and it's no doubt benefitted from the more than fifteen years of additional development, it is in fact the same transmission that was sold to truckers as the Freedomline.

That what I have found in Canada ,fully supported , and when that market dries up they will move the product to India and run it for another 20 years or more.Happens to automotive as well ,you wouldn't believe the engines still produced in 3rd world countries.At Ford old machine tools were shipped out to resellers and repowered for strange voltages and  are now working away in a jungle somewhere for all we knew.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived