State Inspection for RV & Tow.

Bill Howard

I live in Texas and we are selling our home to start traveling.  Texas requires a State Inspection for our RV so my question is if I keep our domicile here do I have to return to Texas each year for the State Inspection?  The RV and tow will have Texas Tags.  I know that Escapees have a lot of knowledge about this.

Thanks

Bill

No. There is a box to check at time of registration stating that the unit is out of state. They will issue the sticker without you returning to the state. Copied from "Two steps, One Sticker":

Special Circumstances

Out of State Motorists

If your vehicle is currently out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you may self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register online, by mail, or in person.

If you renew your vehicle registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating that an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination. It is very important that you keep the VIR issued after completing your inspection in case you are stopped by law enforcement before the remark is removed from your vehicle record, which takes about 48 hours. The remark will be removed only upon payment of the state’s portion of the inspection fee and verification of inspection at your county tax office.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Once you leave Texas and if you want to return for a visit you'll have 3 days to get the inspection.  If you are just driving through (within 3 days... hard to do!) then you don't need the inspection.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The wording stating "...you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination." has led to some interesting debate regarding exactly when the 3-day clock starts running. If you just keep traveling around inside of Texas without ever arriving "home", without a specific destination, do you still have to get an inspection?

Asking for a friend...

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

In my non-lawyer opinion, the first place you stopped to spend the night would qualify as a "destination", even if it's just a temporary one.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

If you just keep traveling around inside of Texas without ever arriving "home", without a specific destination, do you still have to get an inspection?

You still need to get a new sticker. For the minor issue that a sticker is, why would you not bother to get one since you are bound to be stopped sooner or later which will be a nuisance even if you get no citation? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

34 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

You still need to get a new sticker. For the minor issue that a sticker is, why would you not bother to get one since you are bound to be stopped sooner or later which will be a nuisance even if you get no citation? 

What sticker are you talking about?  There is only one sticker, and that is the registration...

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

My understanding is that a mark is placed in the record of that license plate. So if you get stopped in Texas for any reason and they run the plate you will come up as noncompliant. Then you would need to be able to document that you had returned to the state less than 3 days ago. I wouldn't risk it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

In order to count for new registration, it has to be inspected op days prior to renewal. If you use the out of state option and then have it inspected upon entering the state, it won’t count for the next years renewal u less it is within 90days of expiration.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Kirk, remember we got rid of the inspection sticker, so no way anyone call tell just passing by that one has not had current inspection.

Am LEO knows if he should run your plate for any reason. Also the question was if you are required to get an inspection and the answer is yes. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The question was does he have to return to Texas to get an inspection.  No he doesn't unless visiting for a period of time.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived