Question about driving through Canada

adhahn

I tried to search the forum and online for an answer but did not find one-

Question: 

I'm looking at a Motorhome titled HDT in the lower 48 that will need to be driven up to Alaska. The truck has tandem rears and while it DOES have a Motorhome title, the requirements in the state that titled it are minimal so the truck does not have much for amenities. 

The vehicle will be driven bobtail.

In summary, this is a tandem axle, air braked, motorhome titled Class 8 truck. Will I have any issues driving through Canada with a regular (non CDL) US drivers license? 

Darryl&Rita- thank you.

Among other things, this question/answer from the RVhaulers.ca website had me concerned. I did not know if this applied only to Canadian residents or to US licensed drivers also.

"Q: Why do I only need a standard driver’s License and air brake ticket to drive?

A: A single rear-axle results in a two axle truck. No different than a pickup, hence a standard class 5 license is all that is required. Since these trucks use air brakes, you need to take a one-day air brakes class – often call a ‘Q’ Certification. Most motor home drivers require this same course."

Licencing requirements are based on the jurisdiction you've registered in, and are reciprocal. Gregg is quoting the requirements for Alberta, where he's based out of.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just make sure you have the reference material that shows you are legal in the state the truck is registered in to drive it with your licence. This should be part of your book that you should keep in your truck. This just in case you need to explain to a local LEO in the area you are driving in.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

As already stated, Your good on the lic and reg your state req.  no issues in Canada. 

No issues at border just be ready to show rig is reg in your name with trailer too   That way not a commercial issue  

Enjoy your trip!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thanks everyone for the answers!

I'm probably over cautious and concerned for nothing, but I wanted to make sure I have things in order so as not to encounter problems with the Canadians. I'll have a short window of time to make the trip and getting delayed would create multiple issues.

Couple things I'd like clarification on-

rdickinson- are you a resident of AB, or are you a US citizen?

The title will be signed over to me with a bill of sale before starting the trip, but of course won't be titled in my name until I get back to a DMV office in Alaska. IF I encounter questions/trouble with the Canadians, which states licensing requirements apply- MY states drivers license requirements for a Motorhome, OR the licensing requirements of the state shown on the trucks title/registration?

I lived in AB for 16 yrs, leaving in 2013.  Am in BC now where licensing is different.  Here, because the whole rig is over 20,000 lbs.  I need a CDL  Also contributing  the truck is air and the trailer is electric brakes.

I'm a Canadian born in the UK at a very young age.  I generally spend 4 -5 winter months in the southern USA on disaster relief.

I'd remove the Commercial hitch unless you plan to use it.

AB may be the better route as there is generally a lot of road construction in BC during the Summer,  Calgary, Edmonton then west.

Getting stuck behind a B train going up or down a hill in the Rockies will slow you to a crawl.

Don't stop  at the scales.

What I did

drove from alberta to ontario via USA

why?

better roads cheaper fuel, crossed the border twice, only had a paper plate good for 2 weeks ,insurance and a bill of sale .Truck was 'private truck' in alberta but not legal in ontario ,none of the border people cared whatsoever.Drove it on a B Z licence ,not they cared ,I have never been at the border (either one) and been ask that question.

They wondered where my wife got the apple she was eating as we handed them our passports.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

19 hours ago, adhahn said:

The title will be signed over to me with a bill of sale before starting the trip, but of course won't be titled in my name until I get back to a DMV office in Alaska. IF I encounter questions/trouble with the Canadians, which states licensing requirements apply- MY states drivers license requirements for a Motorhome, OR the licensing requirements of the state shown on the trucks title/registration?

If the title is clean can't you overnight to Alaska and have plates and registration overnighted back?  Shouldn't take more than a few days to accomplish.  I know that's what Mr. Cob did with his truck he purchased in Minnesota and licensed in Washington state.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

One of the private AK title agencies will handle it over the phone for advice, overnight the paperwork, and get the plates overnight.  DMV will take about 6 weeks.  We use Tags and Tiles in Soldotna, there are others.  Have a conversation with them before you leave.

We drive a 45,000lb MH with a WA plain license, no issues and no problems to and from AK.  Customs does not check license details at either border, but they may inquire why you have an AK drivers license and plates from wherever.  "I just purchased it and taking it home " will work.

Thanks to everyone for the information. 

I had not considered changing the title into my name before the truck was physically in Alaska. Now that a couple of you mentioned that option, I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't attempt to get it switched over no matter where the truck is physically located. If this particular deal goes through, I will have time here at home and could switch the title into my name before flying down to pick up the truck.

None of that changes the licensing requirements of Canada so extra thanks to all who answered specifically about driving through.

Tee Jay- I did not even know we had private title agencies within the state. I bought & sold plenty of cars and light trucks in AK. Other than waiting in line for long periods, I haven't experienced any delays with switching titles or obtaining plates. A new title is printed on the spot and if I needed new plates they were handed to me across the counter. Of course that is conducting the transaction in person. I've never tried an ownership change through the mail.

One of my favorites is "UMV" the other is to go thru the "Alaska Trucking Association" office, they have a title agent on staff.

I bought my truck over the phone. Had the guy mail me the title after I sent him a deposit. Went and put it in my name and mailed him back the plates and another check. Flew down with the registration, insurance, and title with the final payment.

If you have time you can do that, or Overnight the paperwork to a title agent. And they will send you back the goods overnight.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived