How I spent my day on Monday

Chad Heiser

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

..unless you are some sort of psychic..or maybe you walk on water too?

Kinda sounds like when YOU said that when I was pulling a boat behind my fiver in Minnesota was unsafe when you never saw it........Hm. Far as driver inattention, going down hill, that can result in a speed issue. Again, I never said that he was going 100 mph, but when you cannot stop for an obstacle when you see it speed is a factor. If you think about the crash, big hill, loaded truck coming down hill, not being able to stop SAFELY, that tells me the driver was over driving his equipment due to the gravity effect. Certainly there may (and probably are) extenuating circumstances that contributed to the crash. I did state that it was purely speculation on my part. I may have not have the training you have had for investigations or accident reconstruction, but I do have 46 YEARS experience of being on the road and also something called common sense. I guess with those life experiences I am not smart enough to find my ass with both hands so I will crawl into my hole and be quiet.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Fanning flames . . .

I’m sure i misunderstand this, 

seems like someone on here who once said he knew which cars had drugs without actually seeing them, but says speed did not cause truck to go through intersection

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

Fanning flames . . .

seems like someone on here who once said he knew which cars had drugs without actually seeing them, but says speed did not cause truck to go through intersection

Exile,

I hate to burst your flame fanning bubble, however, you actually reinforced Big5er’s point.  The practice of stopping someone with a firm belief that they are transporting drugs is something that is easily trained to LEO’s and while the PC folks might cry foul for “profiling”, they can not argue how effective and accurate it really is.  HOWEVER, it requires taking investigative steps to determine whether your suspicions are with merit.  If the LEO followed the course of what some folks here have taken, they would simply pull the car over and arrest the occupants without even talking to them.

In a situation like a crash, LEO’s are trained to NOT go into the situation with preconceived ideas or hypothesis, to let the facts lead the investigation and determine the outcome.

Most LEO’s who have investigated complex crashes can share stories of cases where the actual events were found to be no where near what they appeared to be at the onset.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

16 hours ago, Exile said:

Fanning flames . . .

And if you are saying that I said something about drugs in cars, please show it to me. I do not do drug interdiction (never have), do not claim to know one drug from the next.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:50 AM, Mntom said:

I guess with those life experiences I am not smart enough to find my ass with both hands

Well at least we have found something we can agree on. Your life experience does not qualify you to determine the cause of a crash that you read about in the newspaper. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 2/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, Big5er said:

Tom, how many moving parts are in a brake pedal? Do you know? Before you can answer that, you would need to know the make/model and year of the truck. Do you know that? How many bolts hold the pedal to the floor, or if mounted the other way, how many pins hold it onto the valve? Again, do you have this info? I understand that there is redundancy in the braking system but a pedal can break. It can separate itself from the pin that pushes the valve or the pin that holds it in place. Gee, guess what happens then? If the pedal doesn't push the valve, the brakes don't work. That redundant system doesn't work because there is no secondary pedal. If that happens then what? You push the pedal and it goes sideways. Catastrophic brake failure without losing any air pressure....and no fade. Yeah, the driver coulda, shoulda woulda...again you do not KNOW what happened so you can not say what "you" would have done next. But then what "you" would have done doesn't matter because "you" have no clue what happened and you weren't there. 

I have never said you are wrong Tom, just that you are too fast to condemn someone for a cause that you can not possibly KNOW.  There are too many possibilities for you to proclaim that he must have been going too fast or that the only other alternative is brake fade, which is an indicator (to you) that he was going to fast...unless you are some sort of psychic..or maybe you walk on water too? BTW, what condition were his brake shoes in? And exactly how fast was he going? Would you please address these questions for me?

Driver inattention is just as big an option that you seem to rule out "just because" you have proclaimed he "must" have been going too fast. By the way, how many crashes have you investigated? I sure hope (actually I already know) that Chad and his team of investigators search for some facts before just guessing and proclaiming that the driver "must" have been going to fast.

If I had to "guess" like you are I would lean more toward driver inattention. A few seconds dialing the cell and poof...Brake failure is too common a factor. Everyone's excuse is to blame the brakes, rather than admitting they were driving with their head up their ass. And speed is the unimaginative answer. At least I am willing to admit I am guessing. Of course my guess is based on 31 years on the job, being a certified accident investigator and reconstructionist for 25 of those years. I also have 10 years as a commercial vehicle inspector and I'm certified in post crash CMV inspection, but what do I know, right?

What I DO know is that you and I were not there. But I see people do exactly what you are doing on a daily basis. Starting rumors based on absolutely no real knowledge of any fact, other than vehicles hit each other. Damn I hope Chad has someone on his team with your clairvoyant skills. 

By the way, have you ever seen a truck going down the road with the spring brakes caged? I have. That sucker will still roll with absolutely no air in the tanks. I've seen them dragging a brake chamber too because the bracket rusted away. HEY!! That's it!! We solved it. I bet that dump truck was really going uphill, backwards. When the engine died, and with the brakes caged, gravity pulled him back down the hill going faster and faster. And since he had been going backwards up the hill it gave the illusion that he was really traveling downhill going forward. Hell I'm surprised he didn't jump out. When he reached the intersection he would have been going way "too fast for the conditions". (What speed is "too fast" to crash anyway?) The reason he was backing up the hill was because he was going up there to dump the load of trash he was hauling but didn't want anyone to know he was dumping illegally, right? Maybe we should call Chad and tell him his team can go home? Do you think we could get our names in the paper like he did? After all, we have it all figured out.

Oh well, back to reality. You can arm chair quarterback what you do not know all day. Someday the shoe will be on the other foot. I hope you enjoy it when it is your turn to be on the receiving end. I mean what the hell, why let something as silly as the facts get in the way, right?

Jeezzzz Big5.......

I thought I was the only one that could get your heart thumping like a hummmminnngggbird........down boy, down ...........

You might need to double up on your Crown Royal ratio........TOO Much Dr Pepper WITHOUT the PROPER amount of Crown Royal almost always leads to ........Too many heart beats and then your energy-spikes and then you get the flame-thrower out and then I put my foot in my mouth to keep from inhailing the blow-back-flames.

Hey 5er you have NO IDEA how much better my life is these days since I have been streeeeching my Dr Pepper with the proper amount of Crown Royal..........

Now next time you get the uncontrollable urge get out the BIG-Flame-Thrower try this ..........get a large water glass fill it 80% full of Crown Royal and then just a splash of Dr Pepper...........Repeat until you can not find the trigger on the Flame --Thrower.......

Try it .........,you might like it.......

Drive on...........(More ...........Crown Royal)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 hours ago, Mntom said:

Now you are certain it was driver inattention. Impressive skills as a "trained professional" to make a determination from that distance

I NEVER said I was certain of anything, other than the fact that neither you nor I were there and having only read newspapers stories containing conflicting stories the best either of us could do was "GUESS".  I believe my exact phrase was "If I had to "guess" like you are I would lean more toward driver inattention." I also stated just a few sentences later "At least I am willing to admit I am guessing."

Exactly where did I say I was "certain it was driver inattention"? Here we go again. You read something and you jump to conclusions that are not in the words you read. You do understand the word "guess", right?  That is how we got here to begin with. I simply said that you do not have enough facts to conclude that this driver was speeding and you want to defend your imagined conclusion. That is not an attack, it is simply a fact, just like it is a fact that I never said I was "certain" about anything about this crash other than cars hit each other and caught fire. You were the one that declared "others have to suffer because of one "driver" that was going to fast.". 

I'm done Tom. You can imagine anything you want about this post, it doesn't really matter.

The biggest tragedy here is the thought of noteven and the casualty of his trip. I hope that bottle of Crown Royal didn't die in vain. I hope he gave his life that others might carry on.

2014 smart Fortwo

On 2/8/2018 at 11:48 PM, Big5er said:

Tom, how many moving parts are in a brake pedal? Do you know? Before you can answer that, you would need to know the make/model and year of the truck. Do you know that? How many bolts hold the pedal to the floor, or if mounted the other way, how many pins hold it onto the valve? Again, do you have this info? I understand that there is redundancy in the braking system but a pedal can break. It can separate itself from the pin that pushes the valve or the pin that holds it in place. Gee, guess what happens then? If the pedal doesn't push the valve, the brakes don't work. That redundant system doesn't work because there is no secondary pedal. If that happens then what? You push the pedal and it goes sideways. Catastrophic brake failure without losing any air pressure....and no fade. Yeah, the driver coulda, shoulda woulda...again you do not KNOW what happened so you can not say what "you" would have done next. But then what "you" would have done doesn't matter because "you" have no clue what happened and you weren't there. 

I have never said you are wrong Tom, just that you are too fast to condemn someone for a cause that you can not possibly KNOW.  There are too many possibilities for you to proclaim that he must have been going too fast or that the only other alternative is brake fade, which is an indicator (to you) that he was going to fast...unless you are some sort of psychic..or maybe you walk on water too? BTW, what condition were his brake shoes in? And exactly how fast was he going? Would you please address these questions for me?

Driver inattention is just as big an option that you seem to rule out "just because" you have proclaimed he "must" have been going too fast. By the way, how many crashes have you investigated? I sure hope (actually I already know) that Chad and his team of investigators search for some facts before just guessing and proclaiming that the driver "must" have been going to fast.

If I had to "guess" like you are I would lean more toward driver inattention. A few seconds dialing the cell and poof...Brake failure is too common a factor. Everyone's excuse is to blame the brakes, rather than admitting they were driving with their head up their ass. And speed is the unimaginative answer. At least I am willing to admit I am guessing. Of course my guess is based on 31 years on the job, being a certified accident investigator and reconstructionist for 25 of those years. I also have 10 years as a commercial vehicle inspector and I'm certified in post crash CMV inspection, but what do I know, right?

What I DO know is that you and I were not there. But I see people do exactly what you are doing on a daily basis. Starting rumors based on absolutely no real knowledge of any fact, other than vehicles hit each other. Damn I hope Chad has someone on his team with your clairvoyant skills. 

By the way, have you ever seen a truck going down the road with the spring brakes caged? I have. That sucker will still roll with absolutely no air in the tanks. I've seen them dragging a brake chamber too because the bracket rusted away. HEY!! That's it!! We solved it. I bet that dump truck was really going uphill, backwards. When the engine died, and with the brakes caged, gravity pulled him back down the hill going faster and faster. And since he had been going backwards up the hill it gave the illusion that he was really traveling downhill going forward. Hell I'm surprised he didn't jump out. When he reached the intersection he would have been going way "too fast for the conditions". (What speed is "too fast" to crash anyway?) The reason he was backing up the hill was because he was going up there to dump the load of trash he was hauling but didn't want anyone to know he was dumping illegally, right? Maybe we should call Chad and tell him his team can go home? Do you think we could get our names in the paper like he did? After all, we have it all figured out.

Oh well, back to reality. You can arm chair quarterback what you do not know all day. Someday the shoe will be on the other foot. I hope you enjoy it when it is your turn to be on the receiving end. I mean what the hell, why let something as silly as the facts get in the way, right?

Wow.  Fiver, a lot of folks on the forum respect your normally professional opinions on hdt issues that you have knowledge of.  I'm thinking a lot of those same folks, like me, just lost of bit of respect with that post.  You went out of your way to repeatedly try to insult and belittle another forum member.  Not just offering a differing opinion, but replying with insults.  Tom, you have had a lot of valuable posts on this and other forums, and don't let that slow you down a bit.

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Speakin’ of Crown Royal Dolly... ‘member I said I was bringing a crock of the real stuff? I’m not at your camp yet and ... well...we’ve had a casualty on route ... :(

Hey not..........so sorry to hear of your loss........

When and If you get to the  edge of Death Valley let me know and we can wonder just South of the park to Tecopa hot springs and soak our weary old bones and then down to the steak house .....(two tables six chairs) and have the BEST damn steak you ever imagined.......

Don't worry too much about Big5er he'll be ok after a half jug of the "Royal" treatment..........

Drive on..........(Hot springs and a great steak dinner.........heck America is Great Already)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Sorry Hot Rod,

I'm not the tactful one that John is or the quiet one that Chad is. I do not mince words or sugar coat it to make people feel better. I'm kinda subtle, like a brick through a window (sort of like gjhunter and his name calling) and I don't mind calling BS when I see it. 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 2/10/2018 at 8:53 AM, Big5er said:

And if you are saying that I said something about drugs in cars, please show it to me. I do not do drug interdiction (never have), do not claim to know one drug from the next.

Well at least we have found something we can agree on. Your life experience does not qualify you to determine the cause of a crash that you read about in the newspaper. 

Doesn’t say cars, but definitely says drugs.

Maybe in some states mary jane isn’t a drug, but still is for most people in Texas.

The person who searched my car was not educated well enough on constitutional rights, but I’m sure you’re up on those types of things.

“And yes, after a traffic stop is concluded, you are free to go. Now I can hold your vehicle for a limited time for reasonable suspicion but you are free to go. Been through 2 appeals so far and haven't lost the case yet, all based on my nose. 14 pounds of marijuana and $68,000 but just like you said, HE was free to go. Call a friend or a taxi, it made me no never mind, but he could go. I was keeping the vehicle until a dog arrived”

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Sorry Exile, I misunderstood your original post...and yes, when you can smell the marijuana that is called probable cause. I still don't do interdiction and could probably not tell the difference between ecstasy and exlax but smelling marijauna in a hot car is so easy even someones grandma could find it. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived