Montana Registration

bigblock

Hi there 

I am interesting a buying a  HDT and registering it as a motorhome in Montana, do we have any MT members who can shine some light on the process? 

If you buy a truck from out of state already registered as a motorhome do you have to get a VIN inspection done and fill out the  MV95 form?    MV95 form

If you are from Montana , purchase the truck. Get a temporary plate to get it home.

Do the things that need done to convert to a motor home. 

Then get it inspected.   Before your temp tags run out.

Your done.    Much planning and some work for 30 time limit.

Now if your not from Montana much more involved. Maybe, that depends if it has everything done for a inspection.

Then it needs to be in a LLC.

And that process is in the resource guid.

if this is incorrect, I just woke up,.    Vern

thanks Vern for the information I do have a few more questions 

Does this box need to get checked off? This motor home meets ANSI/A119.2 standards

Which of these choices do I select?  Class A Motor,    Home Class B,     Motor Home Class C Motor Home

Is there a private company you recommend who does the VIN inspection for a fee and submit the paperwork to the DMV?

I can't say for sure in Montana, but California requires vehicles that come in from out of state have a VIN verification whether they are new or used.  I had to do it for my used HDT purchased from Texas and my new DRV purchased from Oklahoma.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Are you physically in Montana at this time. If your are , take a copy of the form needed to a local police department and ask them about it. Hopefully you are on the good side of the law.

If you are not in Montana take a copy of the form to a locale police department and see if they will do a vin check and other inspections as needed.

You can do an LLC on your own.

I would say class A. Weight could be a problem in it is in another class.

Trailer should be possible to get a one time plate.

Truck should be if 10 years old. 

Now some on here think I am outside the law. That just depends on who you talk to.

Hopefully this will help,   Vern

If you are NOT truly living in MT (or expect to be soon), registering a vehicle to avoid/evade taxes/fees could put you in a world of hurt. A number of states are really cracking down. Get caught and I understand the fines imposed are substantial.

We are completely homeless at the moment while we make our way to NH to get our trailer and will be making MT our home state for the next couple of years so I do not believe we will be "tax evading". I plan on temporarily renting a small apt, getting MT DL's and having our mail sent there. 

I have a LLC in MT but cannot use it for my trailer because it is financed and they said no to that.I need to figure out how to register it without the trailer being there physically. Will MT need to see the trailer in person? We were not planning on going back to MT till next summer.

Am I missing anything or is there a easier way of doing things?

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I don't know how the state of Montana works but, on a new vehicle direct from a manufacture the paper work should be an MSO manufactures sales order.     "Most" states accept that as is.     The truck dealer you are getting your truck through, are they able to register it in Montana?     If they are perhaps they may be able to help with trailer as well?

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I don't know how the state of Montana works but, on a new vehicle direct from a manufacture the paper work should be an MSO manufactures sales order.     "Most" states accept that as is.     The truck dealer you are getting your truck through, are they able to register it in Montana?     If they are perhaps they may be able to help with trailer as well?

Steve 

The trailer is from NH and the tractor is from Denver Volvo so I don't think they will be able or willing to help. You are correct about the "MSO" and I am hoping that is what is required to get R done. The Volvo dealer will register it to my MT LLC but the trailer has to be to me so that is my issue.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Chris I know we have been rounds on the LLC thing in the past, IMHO you have no need to put the truck in the LLC and, it could cause issues down the road.     You personally own both the truck and trailer, you will be legit Montana residents, why bother with the LLC?

Steve

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

15 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Chris I know we have been rounds on the LLC thing in the past, IMHO you have no need to put the truck in the LLC and, it could cause issues down the road.     You personally own both the truck and trailer, you will be legit Montana residents, why bother with the LLC?

Steve

Steve,

What I am thinking is the ease of the registration process. I plan to go to MT After I have the trailer "paperwork" but before I have the tractor's. The LLC will register the Volvo remotely so I do not have to be there to do it. The trailer I can do in person as long as the trailer does not have to physically be in the state.

I am going to go to NH in a couple of weeks and give them the small amount I owe them to get the paperwork and then go to MT to get us to be residents and register the trailer. The Volvo will come after that and will be registered via LLC since I do not plan to return to MT till the next summer.

Is this making sense? I am under the influence of some pretty damn good Cider at the moment so please forgive me:rolleyes: 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I think a tag agent could do the same for your truck as a private registration.     The LLC makes the truck a business asset and, that could cause issues as you travel the country.     Things like trip permits in lieu of IFTA and, perhaps hours of service?      The thing is maybe 90% of the time and places it won't matter, the other 10% could cause some real grief.

Steve

9 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I think a tag agent could do the same for your truck as a private registration.     The LLC makes the truck a business asset and, that could cause issues as you travel the country.     Things like trip permits in lieu of IFTA and, perhaps hours of service?      The thing is maybe 90% of the time and places it won't matter, the other 10% could cause some real grief.

Steve

I will look into not using the LLC if I can get r done without it. Worst case would be that I do LLC for the winter and fix it next summer. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Archived