odd tire wear on Continental HTL2 tire

jeffw

I've had a pair of Continental HTL2 on the front axle of our tri-axle car hauler since October of last year.

Today I was changing the batteries on the TPMS sensors and noticed weird wear on the side of the tread on the front left tire:

2017-07-29%2012.03.39.jpg?raw=1

2017-07-29%2012.04.31.jpg?raw=1

The FR tire looks great in comparison:

2017-07-29%2012.02.13.jpg?raw=1

The FL is date code 4215, and the FR tire is 4115, so two different production weeks. The tires have only about 6,000 miles on them.

The outer VAI marks on the tire surface are only 1mm thick and still there, so not much wear at all (see https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/243430/3bfd29029e57d0624dda439151802bcd/visual-alignment-indicator-brochure-data.pdf

Has anyone ever see a tire do this? Any ideas what might have caused it?

Thanks!

-jeff

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Wow!  Can't tell you much but looks like tread is fixing to let go.  That looks dangerous?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Almost looks like tire was run hot maybe on low pressure. 

Maybe one of the tire experts will chime in.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

18 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Almost looks like tire was run hot maybe on low pressure. 

Maybe one of the tire experts will chime in.

I've always run these with a TPMS and the pressures were never under 125PSI.

I did a bit more looking today and found a few things:

• the RR tire is an older Hankook tire and it has similar but less dramatic wear on the outside edge.
  • The FR tire (the other Conti) has somewhat similar wear on the inside edge

I'm going to take photos to the dealer I bought them from tomorrow and also reach out to the Continental rep I worked with before buying.

If there's interest I can post photos of the different tires for comparison.

Since you have a triple axle and are now seeing similar wear on only the corner tires and not the middle tires, I would lean towards it being tire scrub from turning. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thanks. I agree. I feel sorry for the front left tire.

What's the best tire rotation approach? move the front to the rear and move the other tires forward?

Wow you only noticed the unusual wear because you had to change out the batteries in your TPMS?  Seems as if it may have been going on for sometime. Glad you didn't loose the tire because of lack of observation of your trailer tires!

2 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

Wow you only noticed the unusual wear because you had to change out the batteries in your TPMS?  Seems as if it may have been going on for sometime. Glad you didn't loose the tire because of lack of observation of your trailer tires!

Ouch. That hurts.

Our trailer doesn't move much, as we only use it to move race cars every 3-4 weeks. The tire didn't catch my attention before our last trip, but did this time as I was performing regular maintenance.

Are you saying this tire will go at any minute?

Had a triple axle fiver a few years ago that had that kind of wear on the outside of the RR and inside of LR.  Found the RR spring had lost some of it's strength and was a bit flatter than the others.  This caused the right side of the axle to move forward slightly resulting in scrubbing of the right sides of both tires.

Initial inspection showed the equalizer between the second and third axle was canted forward on the right side but level on the left.  Replacing the spring fixed it.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

The trailer's going in for a look in a week. I checked bearings for play when I had it up on a jack and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I spoke with the rep from Continental today and he's going to meet me next week to look at the tires. He said he'd have no problems replacing the tires if need be.

I keep wondering if it is scrub-related, as the inside of the RF tire shows some similar signs. When I park, I have been doing a 360 degree turn in a cul-de-sac, and then backing in. The truck and trailer are at a 90 degree angle for a good part of the turn, and the tires are scrubbing quite a bit. I think I'm going to change up to a 3-point (or multi-point) turn to get turned around. One of my parking neighbors is has a low-bed tri-axle (and another tri-axle) and he said that has worked ok for him.

In this pic the red line is my path to get turned around, and the blue line is where I back into the parking spot:

parking.jpg?raw=1

How often are you talking about making this large 360 degree u-turn? Do you always make a left hand turn? If it turns out to be scrub related and the 3 point thing doesn't work, could you spread the scrub out and make a right hand turn in your cul-de-sac?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

From your photo, driving straight in and doing a 90-100 degree into the space makes far more sense.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

38 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

From your photo, driving straight in and doing a 90-100 degree into the space makes far more sense.

Steve

The photo is out of date. There are trailers and trucks parked across from my spot, so the only way to get in is to back in....i updated the photo a bit:

parking%20v2.jpg?raw=1

52 minutes ago, Big5er said:

How often are you talking about making this large 360 degree u-turn? Do you always make a left hand turn? If it turns out to be scrub related and the 3 point thing doesn't work, could you spread the scrub out and make a right hand turn in your cul-de-sac?

That's a good idea....I am probably doing this 18 times a year, give or take.

Is the blue box just the trailer or the total length of the rig?     Even with stuff on the other side it looks doable?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

It's roughly total length. My spot might be one more towards the 'top' of the photo, not sure off the top of my head.

In terms of space between my row and the row opposite us, the space is about the same length as the Volvo, so I can't imagine getting the trailer to start turning in that distance.

The lot is really tight--we're forced to have less than 2' on either side of each spot, so I'm concerned about hitting something :-)

The axles on the trailer are closer to the end than the middle, so it seems like the trailer is very slow to start moving. Plus I've only got a year experience parking the thing.

I'll try to grab some photos of the lot next time I'm there.

5 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

It's only a 180* turn. A 360 would put the front of the truck back facing the right side of the pic.

Doh. It's been a long week.

Maybe I should try 1/4 of a 720 degree turn instead?

16 hours ago, jeffw said:

The trailer's going in for a look in a week. I checked bearings for play when I had it up on a jack and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I spoke with the rep from Continental today and he's going to meet me next week to look at the tires. He said he'd have no problems replacing the tires if need be.

I keep wondering if it is scrub-related, as the inside of the RF tire shows some similar signs. When I park, I have been doing a 360 degree turn in a cul-de-sac, and then backing in. The truck and trailer are at a 90 degree angle for a good part of the turn, and the tires are scrubbing quite a bit. I think I'm going to change up to a 3-point (or multi-point) turn to get turned around. One of my parking neighbors is has a low-bed tri-axle (and another tri-axle) and he said that has worked ok for him.

In this pic the red line is my path to get turned around, and the blue line is where I back into the parking spot:

parking.jpg?raw=1

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! That is your LF/RR tire wear.......  Need to install a remote controlled windshield washer pump with nozzles to spray the tire with soapy water! I always hose down the lot when I have to bring a long wheelbase trailer into the shop that requires a 90° turn. One trailer I service has a 8"+ spread axle. My lot is even smooth, but you turn around spot looks pretty rough and chopped up?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived