Rear Bumper Caps

freestoneangler

Presently I'm storing my sewer hose (less the 90 degree connector) in the rear bumper.  I hear the plastic end caps for these are notorious for falling out while in route.  I use to see many RV's with PVC pipe secured to the top or bottom of the coach bumper for this purpose - as they can be set-up with screw caps.  During our trip last week, I did not see a single unit with this arrangement - perhaps this is no longer popular?  I do see some aftermarket rubber caps/plugs that purportedly lock in place.  I'm thinking about some other method such a couple of loop screws into the bumper and a bungee cord.  Storage space on TT's is fairly limited and I'd rather not store in a plastic tub in those areas.  Would like to hear from those who are using the bumper and what you do to secure the end caps.  Thanks

There are "locking" version of the 4" x 4" cap available. You push in on the center section and it is supposed to lock into place. That being said our first two trailers used the typical square bumper for storage of the sewer hose, and we never lost the original bumper plugs. Ours had opposing "nubs" on them that snapped into matching holes in the bumper, and stayed in just fine. 

I'd say not to worry about losing the end caps until/unless you actually lose one. No need to fix a problem that hasn't occurred yet...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

When we had a square bumper, I'd drill a hole from top to bottom thru the steel and rubber end cap. Then I'd drop a rain gutter spike thru all the holes from the top. I would cut off the spike shorter than the length they come. Do both sides and the spikes are aluminum, so they won't rust. Worked for years and cheap! 

On July 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM, bobsallyh said:

When we had a square bumper, I'd drill a hole from top to bottom thru the steel and rubber end cap. Then I'd drop a rain gutter spike thru all the holes from the top. I would cut off the spike shorter than the length they come. Do both sides and the spikes are aluminum, so they won't rust. Worked for years and cheap! 

I did about the same thing but used an aluminum tent stake (⅛" round pin with a hook bent on one end) I picked up in a campsite.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

If your end caps are a bit too loose , just wrap the sections that rest inside the bumper with a few rounds of electrical tape so the caps have a nice snug fit and don't pull out real easy . No tools required and never lose or have to deal with a fastener .

Goes around , comes around .

I  quit using the bumper due to rusting,  I had the bumper and caps drilled and used a pin to hold them in place.

I now use a section of 5" square PVC "post" from Home Depot with one cap glued on and the other with a pin.  I drilled a 2" hole in the center of each cap for air flow to keep the hose dry.  It is attached to the frame beside the sewer outlet so it is handy.  I used "plumber strap" for the attachment.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, bipeflier said:

I  quit using the bumper due to rusting,  I had the bumper and caps drilled and used a pin to hold them in place.

I now use a section of 5" square PVC "post" from Home Depot with one cap glued on and the other with a pin.  I drilled a 2" hole in the center of each cap for air flow to keep the hose dry.  It is attached to the frame beside the sewer outlet so it is handy.  I used "plumber strap" for the attachment.

Rust is certainly a consideration - particularly in certain regions. 

On 7/29/2017 at 6:38 PM, freestoneangler said:

Presently I'm storing my sewer hose (less the 90 degree connector) in the rear bumper.  I hear the plastic end caps for these are notorious for falling out while in route. 

On my big rental trip in 2009, that happened.  They sold new ones at one of the RV parks we stayed at.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

On 7/29/2017 at 6:38 PM, freestoneangler said:

I use to see many RV's with PVC pipe secured to the top or bottom of the coach bumper for this purpose - as they can be set-up with screw caps.  During our trip last week, I did not see a single unit with this arrangement - perhaps this is no longer popular? 

I have just bought a piece of 6" Schedule 40 foam-core and caps with screw-in plugs.  I have found a spot mid-ships on my 1992 Damon Challenger where I can go across.  Plan is to drill drain holes so that air will flow in one end and out the other whilst we are on the road.

I will put in some sort of spring pins to keep the plugs from vibrating out.

With just a bit of a trim on one side of the drop, my new hose assembly will fit in the pipe with the 90-degree connector attached.

Plan is to give the hose a good rinse after the dump and just store it wet.  My predecessors had to clean and dry it and roll it up in a compartment.  Ick.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

I also installed a 6" plastic pipe under our fifth wheel which runs across the frame and is 8' long. I put a end cap on the end (actually used a black coffee lid glued in place) and mounted it so it slopes toward the open end which is next to the drain valve. I drilled 2 holes on each side of the open end and use a small 4" bungee cord to keep the hose from falling out. The open end allows the hose to drain and dry while in storage. I also painted the tube black to match the frame and underside.

Greg

Archived