Intermitant dash failure

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

I want to run something past the experts here. When I turn on the key to the Volvo the dash lights frequently do not come on. The radio plays and the engine starts fine. Frequently after it starts the lights still do not come on. I flick the key off and back on, the engine continues to run and the dash comes to life and everything is fine. BillB and I worked on this a while back and thought it was corrected but I can't remember what we did for the life of me.

Does this sound like an ignition switch going bad problem? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I had this experience with my pickup.  I know it can't be the same problem, BUT the logic is similar.

The light dimmer switch was the culprit, and I managed to fix the old one. 

When turning dials knobs whatever, do the lights flicker?  Are all lights in the cab affected such as door switches and climate control in the sleeper?  Figuring out what zone is affected might help narrowing down the problem.

Maybe try cleaning the fuse contacts?  Just some thoughts. I could be way off.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I have not seen any flicker. Just light up or not light up.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Hey Brad, when you say the dash lights do not come on do you mean the DID or all the tell-tales?  If the DID comes on run the diagnostic for the tell-tales and gauges.  Doing this will let you know if any individual  gauges are not working.  Keep in mind all of the gauges are electronic and have individual logic/power.  What all of them have in common is ground.  If the ground is bad everything will be dead.  Intermittents are some of my worst nightmares when troubleshooting electronics.  I always verify a good ground connection before anything else.  Any point with a wiper connection like the plug that Jim referenced present a good chance of normal corrosion and oxidation of the surface contacts causing a problem like you described.  Just the friction of unplugging and re-plugging several times can often make for a good contact.  Flicking the ignition switch like you described will repeat the in-rush current  components experience upon an initial start.  The in-rush current can be enough to arc across contacts or a micro crack in a circuit trace to complete a circuit - but it will be only temporary.  Temperature changes that cause expansion and contraction of components can also cause a bad connection or crack in a circuit board trace to close or open.  I seriously doubt that your ignition switch has any thing to do with your problem.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy it is all or nothing with the dash. I hate grounds. is there a common ground somewhere for the dash or do I have to pull it apart and just start unplugging and plugging things in? Could this be at the fuse block? Maybe start unplugging and plugging in fuses? Did I mention I hate grounds?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Hello Brad,

Not sure if this will help but I bought my 2013 780 last November. The steering wheel controls would sometimes work and sometimes not until they just wouldn't.  I've driven from Missouri to FL and back and all over Missouri with this truck and just accepted it was something I'll have to get fixed at some point. 

I went to move the truck one day and it wouldn't start, acted like dead batteries. My charger showed they were fully charged. I started checking fuses and connections everywhere. My batteries were only a few months old and I had scrubbed and cleaned everything I thought when I replaced them.

My issue ended up being the shutoff switch and the connections to that. I removed the switch, cleaned it up and tightened everything down again. Truck started..............and to top it off..............my steering wheel controls started working again as well.

Hopefully your issue ends up being something as easy as that.

Brad 

2013 Volvo 780 "Grunt" D13 I-Shift w/ ET Hitch

2016 Cyclone 4200

Time to move again but I guess I'll start checking connections and cleaning fuses etc before I get to the WCR. I have never pulled the cover off and looked at the ignition switch connections so that will be a new adventure.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Truth be known Rocky I would rather install cruise controls than tear into the Volvo.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

On 5/23/2017 at 10:00 AM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Randy it is all or nothing with the dash. I hate grounds. is there a common ground somewhere for the dash or do I have to pull it apart and just start unplugging and plugging things in? Could this be at the fuse block? Maybe start unplugging and plugging in fuses? Did I mention I hate grounds?

Brad

Not sure if you like grounds or not.  Anyway, all of the above.  Gotta have grounds - without them trees wouldn't grow.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Brad      Have same problem.... been chasing it .. with no success.  I have a 98 Volvo 610, N14,   I just recently  replaced the electrical part of the  key ignition.   Just what little I have ran it around the yard....nothing has changed.  Two things I want to check,  is ,  one,  the plug-in in the back of the dash......are all the pins on the plug the same length (sticking out or in equally), may be a bad pin connection when plugged in.... second,  I'm going to check in the battery box area.... clean all ground cables/wires. There seams to me that is a ground ,small wire,  at one of the batteries.  Make sure All  are clean.... even the wire/cable,  They tend to corrode up the wire.   If this small wire is broken... no start.    Some times when I start, engine starts fine... but no tack,..( read weird)..... speedo.. (read weird)..... NO heater fan.....NO .dash lights ... engine retarded comes on when moving (shifting)......  and then...  2---to---5 minutes all goes back to normal.... except dash lights.   I've just been living with it.  Been thinking about replacing the back of the dash, circuit  board,   but   ($$$)   I tried the fix that on this form a few years ago.... soldering the circuit board joints,  worked for a short time..... then ... same--o.   I do use dialectic jell on the plug/electrical connections.   Just got to keep after it. I'll up date when I find It.  Good luck....  OU812

It is time to pull the batteries again and clean all the connections (about every 6 months when I remember). The batteries are about 3 years old and kept on a battery tender when we are parked. Guess I will have to just start looking. I have been holding off because I'm at high altitude (5900') and having a little trouble breathing (but the scenery is great).

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Well I'm down to 4200' now and feeling much better. I cleaned all the battery connections yesterday and all the connections under the steering column cover. The big connector attached to the ignition switch had one discolored socket so I cleaned that and used some dielectric grease on it. Also did the same to all the plugs under the cover. Dash still did the same thing first time I tested, then I pulled and reset every fuse under the top of the dash. Everything worked for 6 starts so far so maybe I fixed it for now.

Someone walking by when I was working suggested running a separate ground wire but I would have no idea from where or to where.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Archived